My Music Editor Attempt

Community Forums/Showcase/My Music Editor Attempt

Hardcoal(Posted June) [#1]
Ok , Here are the first steps of my Music Editor (hopefully this time Blitz Admins wont wipe this post!..)

My concept of this music editor is based on movable windows where each window represents a channel../ a sequence..

It can be muted,Add effects,Edited and so on..

Im trying to break from the conventional leaner music editors ..
that are bounded into rails..
In my Editor you should be able to feel more free and concentrate on the music
instead in playing around with buttons..

At least thats my vision..

Please Give me your opinions advises or criticizem.

I dont know where Ill get with this project.. because im not a big music programming knowledgeable.
and i will really need help from others in the future for sure.

as you can see the keyboard in my editor is horizontal and not vertical which is more natural..

I never understood why they put the keyboards for Editing Vertically..

Im going to add Pitch modulation with the mouse or a button.. for people who plays with the compute keyboard. I have more ideas.. in mind.. to make this one different.

though my main project is still the game editor.. which Im about to finish very soon.
or so it looks so.

Dan(Posted June) [#2]

I never understood why they put the keyboards for Editing Vertically..

as seen on the:
http://midi-protocol.wikispaces.com/06-MIDI+Sequencer (ps. the forum does not allow to link this url with [a] [/a] - see [a http://midi-protocol.wikispaces.com/06-MIDI+Sequencer]test[/a] )

from the first picture:

Probably as visual representation of the notes to which keys they belong.

Hardcoal(Posted June) [#3]
I'm going to represent each key as well but instead of sideways it will be going upwords.. Same thing, just more clear

Rick Nasher(Posted June) [#4]
Interesting approach. Curious to see what will look like for indeed would appear more natural.

Hardcoal(Posted June) [#5]
I will pretty quickly release a version progress..
so anyone can give his opinion..

for now im still busy with my game editor as main project.

GW(Posted June) [#6]
Traditional trackers have time on the y axis and channels on the x axis.
the alternative is the piano roll, where time is on the x axis, like most professional software. I chose the piano roll style for my tracker. But also because I like retaining the visual orientation.
I would recommend trying out a some of the popular music editors programs out there and taking what you like.
Some really good programs to check out are musagi,FL Studio, Modplug, sunvox,renoise.

Until you start writing songs in your own program, It's hard get a real feel for what works best. Keep coupling to a minimum with your types, and it should be easy to change direction later.

Hardcoal(Posted June) [#7]
TY GW ill check those apps which im not familiar ..

here is some little progress. still looks like crap I know..
But Ill Get There.

I like how stuff looks bad and slowly taking shape into a good looking product

Yue(Posted June) [#8]
Nice!!