random world builder rpg aide

Community Forums/Showcase/random world builder rpg aide

Mainsworthy(Posted April) [#1]
https://numbergamer8.itch.io/random-world-builder

this is a special RPG aide, that randomly generates terrain type, location information, you can add notes to each locattion, NPCs PC treasure and enemies numbers are generated, it maps the world and pathways, its free for windows.

AdamStrange(Posted April) [#2]
Spellcheck. Aide is a person who helps. Aid is a thing that can be of use.
;)

Mainsworthy(Posted April) [#3]
Although you in your way are correct, aide is also a grognards term for an assistant in the napolionics warsm and my app is designed with this in mind, I hope Ive educated you in the finer points of games like this. I'm sure if you carry on with war games you will learn such things. :) hi Adam nice synth your doing

CodeGit(Posted April) [#4]
"aide is also a grognards term for an assistant in the napolionics warsm and my app is designed with this in mind"

LOL - I too have been educated. ;)

AdamStrange(Posted April) [#5]
ok, I'll give you that one ;)
Thanks for the synth comments - working all great now. I've got something for you to look over in a few days...

Mainsworthy(Posted April) [#6]
I will kook forward to that Adam.

Mainsworthy(Posted April) [#7]
CodeGit, keep learning from me I'm so wise :)

AdamStrange(Posted April) [#8]
here's a quick peek for you...

Matty(Posted April) [#9]
The only difficulty with calling it an 'aide' rather than an 'aid' is that yes even in the wargaming parlance the word 'aide' refers to a person not a tool.

Mainsworthy(Posted April) [#10]
Adam looks very prof, spooky too

Matty, I intended for ma A.I. to be my aide, I love it so much its like a person :) I have though saw its use in wargaming maybe they were wrong :)

AdamStrange(Posted April) [#11]
@Mainsworthy
That's the Gameboy color scheme. You are partially responsible for the creation of it in a round about way.
I know I was critical of how you approached some elements of the graphics, so set about following my instructions and created a palette app, sprite editor and map editor to handle all of back-end stuff for me.

This is one of the first things with this all in place. (The audio synth is also a part of it as well)

Mainsworthy(Posted April) [#12]
@Adam , I know I learned kicking and screaming, and I still don't do what I should, but I'm a far better blazer than I was THANKYOU.

AdamStrange(Posted April) [#13]
lol, no problem. Keep up the good work. I'll only lead by example from now on...

AdamStrange(Posted April) [#14]
@mainsworthy
I thought you might like to see a shot of the map tool I used to create everything:

On the left is the font and palette. on the right are the layers and in the middle is the actual map.

Why I am showing you it? Because it's really just old school ascii text and a grid.

with each grid position being a reference to an ascii (0..255) character and a palette position (0..255)

There are 9 layers, with 2 being visible (layers 1 and 3) 1 is a test layers with me trying out a map view, colors and card styles. layer 3 is the basic UI

Mainsworthy(Posted April) [#15]
I would love that app like my own baby . the map in your app looks better than the green game one , for me anyway.

AdamStrange(Posted April) [#16]
Here's the full map

The stairs down go to a second level:

The game is for a 1bit game jam, so I needed graphics that would work perfectly in 1bit (1 color only, no fade/alpha, etc)

But it was much easier to design the maps in color, so... I have different palettes. One is used for collision, and the rest for changing the colors of the entire UI, just by changing the palette.

Any position that has a light tan color is a floor
blue is water
bright green is a wall
red is a case/pit - so you can see at the bottom in the middle I need to change the color as the floor is showing a pit!

This is all monkey, but I can easily write some BlitzMax readers and let you have the map editor if you want?
It's gonna be called "Color Me Rogue"

Here's the same map but with the collision palette being used:

the tiny computer looking things are pickups - they will change/unlock different screen colors, gameboy, amber, cya, full color, etc as you go along

Mainsworthy(Posted April) [#17]
ah I see, do you join with others on the jam? now you put me in the picture 1bit game sounds cool. I think I just found it on itch, looks fun to do, I think yours will impress, I just entered it with 1BitArmyGrid, but I think yours is really best Ive seen on there.

It dosnt have the red and yellow, old pic

I'm old skool so your editor is my ideal mapper, would love it very much. maybe we will finaly be on the same sheet gfx wise :)

AdamStrange(Posted April) [#18]
i'm old skool too. So, you might like the other editors in the family as well...

Mainsworthy(Posted April) [#19]
I have your PaletteEditor and FontSprite yes I got them off itch , I realy want your map tool ?

AdamStrange(Posted April) [#20]
I need to got the 1bit Jamp out the way and then will work on getting the map editor usable. plus some updates to the FontSprite and Palette Editors

Mainsworthy(Posted April) [#21]
ok Adam, thx,