Explorer Mars

Community Forums/Showcase/Explorer Mars

Yue(Posted 2016) [#1]

ISON 0.1 Alpha

Release notes:

This development version has adjustments in the quality of the shadows, the terrain and the fog. The idea is that it is playable not only in my machine, so it has to reduce everything so that it is balanced.

The "Print" key has been activated to make screenshots, which are stored in a png file where the game executable is located. (Screen.png).

Quality of the shadows: A real problem, is that the higher the quality of shadows the triangles on the scene reach a higher number. So I have optimized the system for three possible quality and shadows. These shadows are set with three possible values (1, 2, 3) in the config.txt file where the game executable is located.

Simple menu: The initial menu of the game consists of three buttons (Start, options, Exit), the options button is currently disabled, and you can start the game with the start button, or exit the game with the close button. To activate the button during the game, is done with the escape key.

I appreciate any comments, and help when doing a test on your computer, where the important thing is that it works fluidly and correctly.

Best regard.

Keys

Key W: Moves the vehicle forward.
Key S: Stop the vehicle.

Key D and Key A: Tire rotation (steering wheel)
Space key: Handbrake.

Mouse: Free Camera.
Zoom: Mouse wheel or right mouse button.
Print key: Screenshot (Save Root Directory image png).

Menu :
Start button: Start a game.
Options button: Game options. (Off)
Exit Button: Exit Game.

To activate the menu within a game is done with the escape key.

Rick Nasher(Posted 2016) [#2]
Heyyyy! Good one.

RustyKristi(Posted 2016) [#3]
looking good so far Yue, Xors??

Yue(Posted 2016) [#4]
looking good so far Yue, Xors??

Yes, it's BlitzMax + Xors3D :)

RemiD(Posted 2016) [#5]
@Yue>>if you use Xors3d, you have the possibility to use bump mapping which will greatly improve the details of your surfaces/tetxures.
(i can provide a demo if you want)

Blitzplotter(Posted 2016) [#6]
Very dramatic music as well, looking good Yue ;)

Yue(Posted 2016) [#7]

f you use Xors3d, you have the possibility to use bump mapping which will greatly improve the details of your surfaces/tetxures.
(i can provide a demo if you want)

It would be a great help, I have no idea Shaders. I have not the least idea of ​​Shaders.

Very dramatic music as well, looking good Yue ;)

The music was selected by Youtube, is called the industrial revolution. ;), The case is that it was the recommendation according to the duration of the video.

Explorer Tires. This time I do not pretend to simulate a real explorer, something of fiction is much more pleasant to try to do something with imagination and creativity.

Yue(Posted 2016) [#8]

:)

Yue(Posted 2016) [#9]

Yue(Posted 2016) [#10]

Yue(Posted 2016) [#11]

RemiD(Posted 2016) [#12]
Nice ! Let me guess, there are 3 different materials ? one for the shell, one for the glass, one for the luminous/glowing parts ?

Yue(Posted 2016) [#13]
Nice ! Let me guess, there are 3 different materials ? one for the shell, one for the glass, one for the luminous/glowing parts ?

Yes, son three materials. :)

Yue(Posted 2016) [#14]
Ok, New Video. :D

Yue(Posted 2016) [#15]

Yue(Posted 2016) [#16]

Blitzplotter(Posted 2016) [#17]
How about the tank towing the dune buggy racer around on a trailer, that'd be kool and the Gang, looking good though!

Yue(Posted 2016) [#18]
@Blitzplotter :)

New Video.

The terrain is horrible, I do not like it. I think there is another better way to merge several textures and that's what I'm working on.

Yue(Posted 2016) [#19]
Shadows Large.

Derron(Posted 2016) [#20]
While dark looks cooler I prefer to see more details here...so a bit more metal like...which allows for scratches / rust / dirt in an easier way.

Also i would suggest to play a bit with materials: reflectiveness, shinyness, ...
Also normal mapping will help to fake additional details like plates / screws and slight damages kn the metal surfaces (from little stones crashing onto while driving).

Normal mapping is also something you should add to the ground.

Afterwards I would code the gameplay. Later on there will be time to enhance physics. But it is useless spent effort if you tinker and tinker and then stop the whole thing again.

Bye
Ron

Yue(Posted 2016) [#21]
Update First Post. :)

Yue(Posted 2016) [#22]
Shadows.

Yue(Posted 2016) [#23]
Sets the aspect ratio of the screen.

Yue(Posted 2017) [#24]
Menu simple.

Imperium(Posted 2017) [#25]
What are the .img files used for? Is this the game assets packed away?

How do you get that menu to pop up? I tried every key. Everything looks really good but why is the Polycount so high? 550000 seems a bit large as I'm only able to average between 5-15 fps on my junk test machine.

These two errors appear in the log:
0:00:00:01.261 FileSystem Manager says: Unable to load file 'F:\Development\Development\ISON v.0.0 Alpha\Game\Data/Modelos\REF 1.jpg'...
0:00:00:01.261
Unable to load texture from file 'F:\Development\Development\ISON v.0.0 Alpha\Game\Data/Modelos\REF 1.jpg'

Yue(Posted 2017) [#26]
@Imperium

Hi, the biggest load of triangles in the game is equivalent to the shadow system.

In the new version that I am currently working on, the number of triangles has been reduced as the last image shows an average of 300,000. And this number may drop if you consider that I am working with a high-quality shadow system.

The reduction of the triangles of the new version is based on that the map of heights is no longer of 1024 x 1024, if not but its size is very small, of a value of 128 x 128.

I do not quite understand the packages.

The packages are created with functions in Xors3D, which are zip files with password, what I simply did was to change the extension of those files to img, iso, pak etc.

The error that does not load a texture, is related to the texture of the glass of the explorer for the reflection of the glass, this texture is not included in package, so I have to solve that problem.

The menu is only appearing in my development version these days. It appears when you start the game, you start it and then it appears again if you press the escape key.

Soon I release the development version that shows these advances.

A greeting.

Yue(Posted 2017) [#27]
Video Simple menu.

RemiD(Posted 2017) [#28]
I could create a similar scene under 10 000tris ! 272 160tris for ONE car on an empty terrain... really ?

Yue(Posted 2017) [#29]
There is something about the shadows that go up in a big way the triangles. If I turn off the shadows these triangles in number are less.

Car : 7000
Terrain 19000

The higher the quality of the shadows, the more triangles in the scene.

Yue(Posted 2017) [#30]
Quality in Shadows.

Low

Medium

Hight

The quality of the shadows influences the distance in which the shade of higher quality can be visualized. In other words, a high shadow has a higher viewing range from the camera. While the lowest shadow range is much smaller.

Yue(Posted 2017) [#31]
Performance has improved in the triangles of the shadows. Where the minimum reached in the scene is the number shown in the picture and a maximum of 95,000.

This is really an improvement, because we no longer have half a million triangles on the scene. This will make more compatible in stability in other machines.

Yue(Posted 2017) [#32]
Hello, new development version. The first post is updated.

RemiD(Posted 2017) [#33]
@Yue>>just a suggestion : don't get too obsessed by details like shadows, i have spent many hours playing with shadows and there is no ideal system.
A video game can be intriguing, fun, captivating, even without shadows... Instead i suggest to focus on gameplay, possibilities, environments and things in the world. my 1cent.

Yue(Posted 2017) [#34]
@RemiD

That's good advice, and I'll keep that in mind, I will not be working in the shadows anymore. From now on I will focus on several factors that I will explain below.

Playability:
- Get to the base before the oxygen is exhausted in the scanner, due to damage to the nitrate thermostat.

Atmosphere:
- Secondary models.
- Rocks.
- Scanner sound.
- Ambient sound. ( Wind )
- Particles friction of tires with the terrain.

xlsior(Posted 2017) [#35]
- Ambient sound. ( Wind )

Keep in mind that Mars has a very thin atmosphere, so winds (and outside sounds) will be very weak compared to here on Earth

Yue(Posted 2017) [#36]
@xlsior

:D
http://mars.jpl.nasa.gov/msp98/lidar/microphone/mic_found.html