Latest epic game

Community Forums/Showcase/Latest epic game

AdamStrange(Posted 2016) [#1]
Inspired by coffeedotbean and his brilliant 8bit goodness, I decided I should have a go with this little number

And just to prove I eat my own dog food... Here's the graphics core in development. based on my fontsprite system

So far about 2 days to get it up and running. now working on a map editor to finish everything off. Oh and evil otto is in there along with smooth map scrolling when going to a new map

coffeedotbean(Posted 2016) [#2]
Nice, ofc maps should auto generate if you wanna go proper oldskool.

AdamStrange(Posted 2016) [#3]
ofc maps?

coffeedotbean(Posted 2016) [#4]
... of course maps ...

Derron(Posted 2016) [#5]
Also resolution seems rather high (having a look at the "live"-running-man-sprite).

bye
Ron

AdamStrange(Posted 2016) [#6]
lol. Yup maps autogenerate, but use the same system as berzerk used. Each map is actually 8 positions and a direction

http://www.robotron2084guidebook.com/home/games/berzerk/mazegenerator/code/

mmm not quite sure what you mean about the resolution Derron. actual pixel res for the window is 960,640, with the sprites themselves being 16x16. the original was sort of 8x8 and 8x16

coffeedotbean(Posted 2016) [#7]
I think he means the green "lives" at the bottom are clearly at a different res than the main game sprites.

Derron(Posted 2016) [#8]
What coffeedotbean says.

But also the window resolution. 960x640 ... which "old console" (<= 8bit) had this resolution?

The special "spice" of these old-style-games is that they really limit their own to the graphical possibilities of that time (colors, res). Of course cheats to increase colors (instead of mysterious tricks with palettes, memory peek poke puke :-)) are not that strictly forbidden.

I assume you are more than capable of creating something "recognizeable" in low-res (with the help of more colors for shades).

bye
Ron

Matty(Posted 2016) [#9]
Berzerk was fun.

Steve Elliott(Posted 2016) [#10]
Nice. Chicken, fight like a robot! :)

coffeedotbean(Posted 2016) [#11]
@Steve - at first I thought your brain broke when I googled it.

Steve Elliott(Posted 2016) [#12]
@coffeedotbean You thought I'd gone Berzerk? ;)

I remember all the iconic phrases from the old games :)

AdamStrange(Posted 2016) [#13]
hehehehehe "Intruder Alert!"

Work currently stopped on game as I needed to have some ascii/font screens (anyone guess where this is going yet...?)

So... You take a fontsprite, and a color palette. and then put the two together to get a map creator!

Here is the initial work on it:

I think it's pretty self-explanatory what is going on here? And maybe people will start to see some logic to my madness too? Or possibly not...

In the game. you will just need to load a map and display it, or layer it, or use it as something else... whatever

Matty(Posted 2016) [#14]
I'd still love to play your dungeon game that you were developing about 6 months to a year ago....it looked good (as do many of your products).

AdamStrange(Posted 2016) [#15]
@matty - there was something very odd going on with the code that suddenly began crashing the system. it had something to do with memory and BlitzMax and I still have no idea what caused it - that was the reason for it's abrupt shutdown ;[

Derron(Posted 2016) [#16]
Adam: Why not open sourcing what you have done on that project - so people could
a) learn from it
b) improve it
c) fix issues
d) make it runnable on linux ;-)

It's a pity for _us_, because we invested time to motivate, bring in ideas ... and then, you stop promising projects out of the sudden.

bye
Ron

AdamStrange(Posted 2016) [#17]
Why not open sourcing what you have done on that project

It's not quite that simple.

First off any person would need some heavy modifications to their blitz modules - some of which are mac only.

Second you have 3 very different base systems that you would need to know: Medua source - which handles the display. the 3d system (pure opengl), the sound system (mac only).
You then need the 3d editor source and the sound editor source - And all of this before you start to look at the code itself.

Then coming to the code there are some other layers to handle input, more sound and display.

Then you come to the source... You are looking at 100-500 different sources all of which are interlinked (ignoring the blitz module changes).

So open source is not going to work in this case. But it does highlight something very interesting with Marks approach to Blitz (this includes monkey as well). Which is:
"I made it. It's mine, It does everything - apart from what YOU want. so I'm not going to bother to look at including any changes or modification or additions because it's mine!"

On the other side. this is all a learning process. I have learnt how to do 3d and how not to do 3d and how to take what has been done and make it work anew.

And I am open sourcing my new dev tools and their file-systems so they can be used by other people.

Derron(Posted 2016) [#18]
Extract things to framework code (reuseability) and this will also lead to less bugs (as you use it more often in variations of different projects/directions/usage-styles).

The "OSS" thing was just an idea to get these projects "done somewhen".

bye
Ron