XBO-Breakout Game . UPDATED

Community Forums/Showcase/XBO-Breakout Game . UPDATED

SidAntic(Posted 2016) [#1]
I am working on a Breakout Arcade Game in 8-Bit look and need some testing help. Please run the demo, if you you see some errors please post them here.

Itīs a very early Demo.

http://www.gebers-net.de/game.zip

Keyboard Controls:
Left/Right Cursor Key to move the Paddle
Space Key to release the Ball
Key-E = Level-Editor (only a simple Tile-Editor for the Background-Tiles is implemented)

I have added Gamepad-Control (XBOX 360 Controller for Windows). Left Analog Stick to move the paddle, A-Button to release the Ball, Back-Button exit Game.

Also I added two new Bricks (an undestroyable Brick and a 3-time-hit-brick)
Thanks a lot for any comment.
Alex

RemiD(Posted 2016) [#2]
Hello,

I ran the game to quickly test, and the areas of the screen which are not the game (left and right) are blinking (it hurts the eyes), the area of the game (at the center) seems to be ok.

Good luck

Dabhand(Posted 2016) [#3]
Works fine here! :)

Nice job

Dabz

steve_ancell(Posted 2016) [#4]
Working fine here too.

SidAntic(Posted 2016) [#5]
yeah, thatīs great to hear :)

Steve Elliott(Posted 2016) [#6]
Yep, works well.

But it could do with mouse control and a little faster movement.

AdamStrange(Posted 2016) [#7]
quickly run on osx
no issues. changed the window to open as a window and added AppTerminate so it wasn't fullscreen etc

Steve Elliott(Posted 2016) [#8]
Games should always run fullscreen IMO. They're not a text editor or something :)

RemiD(Posted 2016) [#9]
Personally i prefer windowed mode because i often deactivate the music/ambient/voices and i listen to views/interviews/debates/audiobooks in the background, and with some games, the alt+tab makes the game bug/crash...

Steve Elliott(Posted 2016) [#10]
Haha playing Call of Duty with no sound in a window and listening to views/interviews/debates/audiobooks in the background

RemiD(Posted 2016) [#11]
Well, of course it depends on the kind of game you play, for a game with a lot of cutscenes/dialogues to listento/read, it is difficult, but for an arcade/action game, it is doable. (recently i have played alien vs predator 1, commandos 1, desperados 1, fallout 1, arcanum, without problems... (except when there are voices without subtitles))

Steve Elliott(Posted 2016) [#12]

Well, of course it depends on the kind of game you play

Ah, well there I think you're not that interested in a game then. Games should be an immersive, interesting and fun experience, no matter their style of game.

You'll never truly be interested/addicted/master/enjoy a game if you give it only part of your attention. I would prefer to set aside a few minutes to play a game, than to multi-task and not really be involved in it.

RemiD(Posted 2016) [#13]
I use to spend a lot of time (too much) playing video games when i was a teenager/student (fallout, arcanum , daggerfall, morrowind, diablo 2), trying to create the perfect character with the best armors/weapons, this was like an obsession, and i am glad that i am not addicted by this anymore.

I still like to play and i appreciate video games, but in a different way. (i prefer a fun smooth gameplay over detailed story/dialogues)

I suppose that's why there are different kinds of games, for different people with different tastes...
(do you realize that you argue about 'immersion" on the thread of a breakout game ?)

Steve Elliott(Posted 2016) [#14]
Yeah I know what you mean, I rarely get enough time for games these days, although I am looking forward to Planet Coaster.

I'm talking in general terms. For breakout/arkanoid it's more about concentration, quick reactions and progressing through levels. A game must be pretty poor for you to not bother concentrating on it...Not talking about SidAntic's game because it's incomplete.

SidAntic(Posted 2016) [#15]
My Game-Project has been updated !!!

The Game has new graphics, sampled Sounds-Effects and the Gamecontroller is now the mouse.

Cheers
Alex

RemiD(Posted 2016) [#16]
It works well here, but i still have the annoying blinking of the areas at left and at right (not the area of the game), sometimes i see the desktop/windows in the background, sometimes i see black borders...

SidAntic(Posted 2016) [#17]
I have three Computers and I have not this problem (1 Desktop with Nvidia 1060, 1 Laptop with Intel HD Graphics, 1 Laptop with AMD Fusion).

No Idea, RemiD which OS do you use ?

RemiD(Posted 2016) [#18]
Windows 7 Home 64 bits, DualCore AMD E-450 1646 MHz, 6go DR3-1333 SDRAM, AMD Radeon HD 6320 Graphics 384 Mo VRAM, desktop resolution 1366x768 32bits

(i have never seen this problem with the many others demos/games that i have tried, (even those made with Blitz3d and Blitzmax))

SidAntic(Posted 2016) [#19]
I have tested my Game with my very lowend Netbook (it is also an AMD-E450 Chipset) and it works.

Alex

Steve Elliott(Posted 2016) [#20]
It's probably nothing, but the new downloads throw a virus error (the original download didn't).

SidAntic(Posted 2016) [#21]
I have added some new micro-things :)

An oldschool Scrolling Text like on the Amiga, yeaaah, I added a pause function (p-key), and the gamespeed increase every 30 seconds.

best greetings
Alex

SidAntic(Posted 2016) [#22]
The ZIP-Archive is virus free. I use G-DATA Internet Security.