Extrasolar Origin

Community Forums/Showcase/Extrasolar Origin

Krischan(Posted 2016) [#1]

I've setup a blog about the development of my current project called "Extrasolar Origin". Click the logo to initiate the interstellar drive. At this stage of the operation your primary goal is to read information. We have little information to offer concerning what you might find. If you feel lost take a look at the Cosmopedia or enjoy the recreation area at the Gallery section.

Good luck, and a safe return to this forum :-)

RustyKristi(Posted 2016) [#2]
Looks good and interesting!

Derron(Posted 2016) [#3]
The "gallery > galaxy background" is what would fit very well to Rick's Monkey-space-game.

Source: http://www.extrasolar.de/index.php/2016/04/23/current-screenshots/

Hope you achieve to use your domain for something useful...finally!

bye
Ron

Blitzplotter(Posted 2016) [#4]
Impressive and immersive stuff, got me hooked.

BlitzSupport(Posted 2016) [#5]
Some really cool stuff on your site. Sickening amount of talent, offset only by the fact that you share all your cool effects' code!

Krischan(Posted 2016) [#6]
Thanks guys and I really appreciate your feedback. And James - I always shared my sources so have fun to read or alter them - there are no miracles inside.

RemiD(Posted 2016) [#7]
It seems that you have watched the "ancient aliens" tv series (i say this because of the maya sculpture photo)

You should test the Blitz3d game "solar system explorer", it will probably give you some ideas of gameplay (you can land and explore each planet and search for an artefact)

Krischan(Posted 2016) [#8]
Do you have a link for the "Solar System Explorer"?

And yes, I'm interested in Ancient Astronauts since 1993 and know Erich von Däniken and Giorgio Tsoukalos personally since 2000. Beside that I'm still hosting the (now disfunctional) platform of the AAS RA student research (german: JAAS) since then -> www.jaas.de. I didn't finish the site because the community got lost in space or RL :-p I know the Ancient Aliens series but IMHO it's too simplified, targeting the "US average audience". It makes more sense to read books about it but it can be a good introduction to this subject.

I think Ancient Astronauts are an exciting element for the storytelling of space games, more than dumb dogfights :-D

RemiD(Posted 2016) [#9]
http://www.tla-data.co.uk/solsys.htm

degac(Posted 2016) [#10]
Hi
just looked at your site, then I discovered the Interplanetary Travel Demo... I'm still playing with it!
Please, allow to select destinations inside the program :D

Krischan(Posted 2016) [#11]
Ah, Remi now I know what you mean, makes fun. Did you try my Planet Exploration Vehicle Demo yet? ;-) There will be no "beaming", you must land with your ship and disembark a Planet Exploration Vehicle.

Xilvan(Posted 2016) [#12]
Hi,

Is a great idea to create a
drive website on the net.

Great news!

Krischan(Posted 2016) [#13]
Bump. Just want to share a little progress on my game. Currently working on the Star System visualization. Here you'll see the central star, in this demo a F-Type star. All done in Blitzmax+MiniB3D. It is a spherized segmented textured cube with additional glowing sprites and attached animated flares using animated textures only. The Milkyway background has been completely revised. Play in fullscreen.

In my Blog post you'll find a fullscreen Screenshot (2560x1440).

RustyKristi(Posted 2016) [#14]
I thought you used shaders for that, but that looks great and random for just sprites.

Krischan(Posted 2016) [#15]
Actually the flares are two single surface meshes with clever quad manipulation plus texture animation. One mesh consists of perpendicular quads aligned to the surface and the other mesh contains the outer flares, perpendicular too but rotated 90° which gives this nice flare effect. Each mesh has a different "explosion" texture, the flat ones viewed from the top and the side flares viewed from the side. With Blend Mode 3 the star and its flares looks like it burns very hot and is active.

The flat quads create a bubble like effect on the surface and it look like hot gas. I first experimented with animated noise but I was very unhappy with the texture resolution and the speed so I started with animated textures like I used for the outer flares.

It could look better with shaders but I want to keep it simple in the first run.

Yue(Posted 2016) [#16]
Power Full. ;)

Krischan(Posted 2016) [#17]
Added a second video to show the star embedded in the scene. This time in Full HD.

EDIT: reuploaded the video, now without encoding errors and music composed by myself.

RemiD(Posted 2016) [#18]
Really nice !

Chalky(Posted 2016) [#19]
Wow - looking very impressive!

degac(Posted 2016) [#20]
High Quality Content!

Blitzplotter(Posted 2016) [#21]
Exceedingly impressive ;)

Krischan(Posted 2016) [#22]
Just a quick demo - I want to know if my framework runs on your system and what you think about it. Based on miniB3D and MaxGUI with additional direct OpenGL hacks, the borderless window should be maximized on start but you can select different resolutions ingame using 1-5 keys:

1=1024x768 | 2=1280x800 | 3=1366x768 | 4=1920x1080 | 5=Desktop Resolution

Move around with WASD and change the star with the LMB while SPACE creates (hopefully) a huge star. There are many other functions keys, like:
X is Brake (hold!)
G shows additional information
O toggles orbits
L/P = Language: english or german (see here)
F12 toggle Fraps style FPS display
F1-F5 switches the milkyway parts
Numpad Minus saves a screenshot
ENTER retypes the star data
INS/DEL/POS1/END/PGUP/PGDN is Star RGB manipulation (see values at G key information)
Arrows is Star Glow Alpha manipulation

Don't be too close to the star when you create a new system as you could end INSIDE the star and must quit the program to continue, it's not fail safe at the moment. If you fly too far away the star vanishes due the camera range limit, so stay in range below 100000 units.

Demo Download: Fireball.zip [3.2MB ZIP]

Yue(Posted 2016) [#23]
oO? Very good.

Trinosis(Posted 2016) [#24]
Looking really good :)

Keep up the good work.

RemiD(Posted 2016) [#25]

I want to know if my framework runs on your system

@Krischan>>it works well here, nice effect !

DualCore AMD E-450 1646 MHz, 6go DR3-1333 SDRAM, AMD Radeon HD 6320 Graphics 384 Mo VRAM, desktop resolution 1366x768 32bits, Windows 7 Home 64 bits

Krischan(Posted 2016) [#26]
Sounds good. No problems with the ingame resolution switching? This was a hard piece of work.

Yue(Posted 2016) [#27]
How is the change of resolution made?

Rick Nasher(Posted 2016) [#28]
Jaw dropping..

Krischan(Posted 2016) [#29]
All: thanks!

Yue: the ingame resolution switch is difficult to achieve, I had a lot of problems but finally solved it using miniB3D+MaxGUI and some miniB3D fixes. It is possible to switch the resolution without reinitializing Graphics3D, keeps the scale and we mustn't reload all textures again. There is only a very short noticeable screen shake I couldn't get rid of yet.

Put it in the Fireball demo example directory root and it'll use the media/texture which are already there or use your own font/texture instead. Take a look at the "Scaler" global variable, it is a very important variable to keep the scale over different resolutions and everything to scale in 2D should be multiplicated by it (like the test line below the text).

Press 1-6 to cycle through different resolutions while 6 is the current desktop resolution.

The Code:

therevills(Posted 2016) [#30]
Very cool!

How are you dealing with the massive distances between worlds / stars in the same solar system?

When I started messing around doing my own space game in Blitz3D I had to create a funky little cube system where the player would fly around in, if they went out of cube the entire solar system moved in relation to the player.

Krischan(Posted 2016) [#31]
Well actually I didn't solve this issue yet but your solution sounds good. Another solution would be exponential scaling, so everything close to you will be huge and if it moves away it will be scaled exponentially down to a dot or sprite but this is tricky. I've only experimented with it. The main problem is not scaling but to stay in a range within 1...10000 units or the meshes will start shaking and the whole scene is messed up. But my game won't be a exact space simulation so I can cheat here :-D

Yue(Posted 2016) [#32]
Change resolution works perfect. Good job.