Dont want anybody to be sad

Community Forums/Showcase/Dont want anybody to be sad

Mainsworthy(Posted 2016) [#1]
my link above

AdamStrange(Posted 2016) [#2]
mmmmmm... and mmmmmmm

ok a couple of things
- Pearl Harbour Zero Attack <-- I'm not liking it. it's (to be a bit blunt) crass and a bit offensive
- The graphics!!!! This is obviously a stretched ship! probably about 3x its original width - it looks cheap, amateur and bad.
- it also looks like you are doing the reverse with the 'chits' where the guns are starting to look squashed (see above)

Nothing more to be said - I feel you are better than this

OK, The game jolt site. Isn't it great when you can do loads of fun stuff and let people download them for free ;) yay, brilliant - NOT

There is a thing called quality vs quantity.
You definitely have talent with the concepts. The implementation and presentation could be better.
There is a style that overshadows all the 'i'm not really wanting to call them games' simulations?
I would have hoped to see a gradual improvement in style and concept. But unfortunately come away with the feeling of a scattergun approach both to the programming and graphics.

I really believe you can achieve much better ;]

Mainsworthy(Posted 2016) [#3]
I have deleted the game.

Yue(Posted 2016) [#4]
Hey , I have not seen the game , one thing I want you to know that criticism can be very hard by some people, but this this is and what you can do is learn and improve , however, the games are games and can be whatever you want , graphics , sounds etc. There will be people who like others not , but I repeat a criticism is but a point of view of a third, which you can learn a lot to improve our products . A greeting.

Mainsworthy(Posted 2016) [#5]
Adam I found a couple of links on the subject of games on pearl harbour. My game was childsplay compared to these links, really really childsplay compared

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/44890/picket-duty-kamikaze-attacks-against-us-destroyers

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/7022/kamikaze

https://warisboring.com/its-kamikazes-versus-u-s-destroyers-in-this-brutal-war-game-41295e153b68#.e01j49ifs

http://www.matrixgames.com/store/product.asp?gid=294
quote from abve link " the Japanese player can form Kamikaze squadrons to smash into enemy ships and drive them away from the homeland"

http://battle-fleet.com/pw/

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/40079/thunder-gods-kamikazes-okinawa

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/148758/thunder-gods-kamikazes-over-okinawa-second-edition

Yue thankyou for your kind words

Derron(Posted 2016) [#6]
I second Adam's POV on graphics/improvement.

While it is a good thing to be creative enough to publish games here and there - we as developers of games (not just coders!) should aim to improve... improve gameplay wise, improve accessibility wise (keyword: input configurability), improve on AI, ... on GFX ...

There are many battefields to conquer for an developer. There is no reason to "rush out" game for game while staying on the same level in other areas.

Maybe you have learned things when coding the game, so it might sound more harsh than needed - but for myself it is very hard to even bothering to try out all of your games - because of their look. For me they look as if they were done on a lazy sunday.

I did not say your game(play) is bad, but the presentation is just far away from what you could achieve by just trying. Like I suggested some weeks ago: make some reuseable GFX (for your GUI). Make some frames, for your "chits" you use ...

bye
Ron

Mainsworthy(Posted 2016) [#7]
Derron I don't mind and agree with what your saying, but Adam called it crass etc... I hope to change his mind, but after what hes said I dought I will put it back online.

AdamStrange(Posted 2016) [#8]
mmmmm
remove the words and you have a flawed 'kill the ship" simulation.
Anything to do with Pearl Harbour should be done with care as it is a sensitive subject.
I stand by what I said. The name is crass. You are using it not to add anything, but to attempt to 'cash in' on something that is out of character and way below you.
Where next? Hitlers Ovens: Pizza Paradise? Slavery: The Next Generation.

ok, 'nuff said

The concept of battleship being attacked and tetris - BRILLIANT!
Immediately there are soon many really interesting possibilities with that.

TomToad(Posted 2016) [#9]
Where next? Hitlers Ovens: Pizza Paradise? Slavery: The Next Generation.

Are you serious? Mainsworthy makes a game about defending a battleship against Zero attacks and calls it "Pearl Harbor Zero Attack." It makes sense and in no way is offensive, even though it isn't exactly an accurate simulation. Your statement is over-the-top idiocy, and shows more of your character than anything. To link from Pearl Harbor to Hiltler's Pizza ovens just shows you are way too sensitive.

What about BlitzBasic? Are you offended by that name? If not, why not? I would think that a product named after the devastating bombing of London by German Nazis would be far more offensive to someone from the UK than anything about Pearl Harbor.

@Mainsworthy. Tried the game. Find the concept interesting, but I got bored quickly. Since the game is on a gaming site, I'd assume it is a finished product, but graphics look like placeholders. It gives the feel of an unfinished game. There were also times when the planes/flack seemed to fly right through the Zeros. Possibly because one step, they are one square away and the next step, they just swap places. You need to check for that condition, unless that is part of the game play to time your planes and flack to be two squares away.

AdamStrange(Posted 2016) [#10]
I stand by what I said
There was no Perl harbour in the game, no zero attack. so the name was there just to get a download and a response.

I mean extreme example, please. It's not like anyone gets hurt going to a club dancing or watching fireworks now, is it? Oh wait...

xlsior(Posted 2016) [#11]
I would think that a product named after the devastating bombing of London by German Nazis would be far more offensive to someone from the UK than anything about Pearl Harbor.

"Blitz" = "lightning" (fast)

TomToad(Posted 2016) [#12]
"Blitz" = "lightning" (fast)

That is the German translation of the word. It has entered the English vernacular from the Blitzkrieg style of German warfare in WWII and the Blitz bombings in London. It is used to compare the swiftness of your (product, procedure, idea, etc...) with how swiftly the German army would defeat its opponents. I personally do not find the term offensive despite its origins. WWII was a long time ago and the term is deeply rooted into our language. I just don't understand how someone can be so offended by the use of a historical event in a game, yet the blanket use of another historical event (in which 588 times more civilians were killed) is completely okay with him.

There is also a huge difference between an inaccurate portrayal of history such as Mainsworthy's game, and a complete twisting of historical events such as Hitler selling pizzas or legalized slavery in modern times. Also, trying to win an argument by comparing historical events to recent killings is completely in bad taste. Obviously Adam is not worried about being offended as he seems to be going out of his way to be offensive. Makes me believe he is only offended as it gives him something convenient to attack Mainsworthy's game.

Mainsworthy(Posted 2016) [#13]
Quote Adam said "so the name was there just to get a download and a response" Adam I don't get anything, the game is free only the downloader gains.

I also am in agreement with everything TomToad says. hes more intelligent than all of us.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2016) [#14]
Not so fast.

Todays real games are so good, there's so much work in it, you cannot compare them to what a single guy can achieve. Budgets for todays games you can buy in a store easily reach 100 mio $

So it's unfair to compare.

However, what we can learn is, we better make a small niche game with a finite amount of gfx, but at least these gfx are top quality.

MikeHart(Posted 2016) [#15]
Mainsworthy, at least YOU have finished some games and released them. Something ost so called game developers will never achieve.

Matty(Posted 2016) [#16]
Is Pearl Harbour offensive to Americans? I don't know my WW2 history all that much but I thought it was as legitimate as any other wartime action involving attacking a military target?

There are wargames about all sorts of different periods...don't see why someone would get upset about a game named after a particular wartime event against a military target?

It might be different if it was 'Thai Burma Railway constructor' perhaps, or 'Gas Chamber Extraordinare' but Pearl Harbour was a legitimate military target wasn't it?

No one bats an eyelid at 'Operation Barbarossa' for a WW2 game or many other games named after particular military actions...Panzer Generals IV seems reasonable too.

RemiD(Posted 2016) [#17]
also keep in mind that we know that some events are 100% true, because we have learned it in school from our honest and benevolent governments, and the good historians confirmed it, (unlike the bad bad bad historians which are always wrong)

And since we can't verify some things, we must probably repeat what is considered to be the truth by the powers in place (who have never hidden interests in mind and are always honest and benevolent, after all these are the good guys who save others people from the bad guys)

(in France if you discuss some subjects of WW2 you can go in jail, because this is a country of freedom of expression, so i will stop there)

Mainsworthy(Posted 2016) [#18]
Ive renamed the thread, and I'm deleteing game, because Adam was a great guy and deserves my thanks

AdamStrange(Posted 2016) [#19]
@Mainsworthy Please don't stop doing what you are doing.
I must (humbly) apologise for any hurt feelings.

Don't stop developing, I would hate to see you remove yourself if any offence was taken.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2016) [#20]
Id'd rather like an action adventure in which J.C.Denton and 47 coincedently stumble upon some evidence about president rosevelt, being briefed about the successful decyphering of the german enigma code, containing the announcement of the upcoming japanese Airstrike....

but that would be pure fiction, wouldn't it?

And Niels Bohr and Albert Einstein were the evil Masterminds, obsessed by their urge to test the bomb.

Actually pretty entertaining.

Trinosis(Posted 2016) [#21]
I'd like to offer my encouragement Mainsworthy.

Keep doing what you love doing and don't let anybody stop you.

We can't please everyone all the time.

And there is always someone who will take offence.

I for one enjoy seeing what you do.

:)

Endive(Posted 2016) [#22]
I didn't see the game but try again. I really think you're being too hard on yourself, look at the crap that people buy and like. All you have to do is be better than those games. Sometimes a simple game very well polished can be good. Check out the game Slay for a strategy game, and Hoplite (a roguelike.)

I would like to see mobile versions of the games Grav Armor and Ogre.