Warrhand:campaign 2

Community Forums/Showcase/Warrhand:campaign 2

AdamStrange(Posted 2016) [#1]
ok, I'm just about to start work on the next phase - the battle
Here's a shot of it going into this phase:

internally I have separated the men so they can be individually dealt with. Previous they were directly linked to the flag and were just there for decoration.

Because of all the internal rearrangement, the AI players can now also be individually tweaked, so orange spawns less men and blue more men (statistically) per hand

Derron(Posted 2016) [#2]
@ spawning more or less
so the "character" defines weather your army prefers "tanks" or "soldiers" or is specialized in the dirty things (gas, barbed wire...)? Good thing.

Maybe use this in "scenarios" or "random start settings" - so you need to adjust your strategies according to the commander and its "troops" you get assigned.

@ character-placement-flag
Placing that greeen-bordered-flag on green ground with a green unit on it... I think it makes it hard to distinguish. Either brighten up the card-background (for more contrast) or use a brighter "soldier color". Dunno what the others say, it is just a personal opinion (and the flags - blue and orange - are already more vibrant than the card-content.
The "green" soldier should find a new color too - if it blends too much into the green grass land. But I cannot judge that yet as the screenshot does not expose green flags and soldiers).

for Green I think this would work (for non-color-blind):
- yellow-with-an-ochre-touch
- blueish-tinted-red (not purple or magenta, maybe like a "thin/shallow" wine)
- the blue you already used
- hmm... other ideas?

bye
Ron

AdamStrange(Posted 2016) [#3]
small update today:

basically changed the colors so the cards have a much brighter look and stand out more. - all the colors are programmable, so it's not really difficult to change

cards now have black border to make the stand out more

added dynamic card detail information text and graphics

Steve Elliott(Posted 2016) [#4]
Better!

Mainsworthy(Posted 2016) [#5]
sorry still got a bad internet connection, BT are asking for £130 if the fault is in my home, but I'm not going to agree to that, so I may be with bad connection until I can get another phone service

Adam I swear you should run your own games company, you are super good, the game looks fantastic.

AdamStrange(Posted 2016) [#6]
£130 !!! Gotta say that I've never valued BT as a good company.

Steve Elliott(Posted 2016) [#7]

Adam I swear you should run your own games company, you are super good, the game looks fantastic.

But like many of us, none of his work gets finished haha ;)

Friendly dig mate, your stuff always does look fantastic though.

AdamStrange(Posted 2016) [#8]
Yo, total brutes!

enough said... Stuff gets abandoned for a variety of reasons, either it wasn't working or some other technical issue.
Currently WarrHand:Campaign is the furthest advanced one to date with a good feel in comparison to the other games i've worked on.

Here's the current screen showing the new colors giving better definition:

there is also the new menu icon and slightly smaller map cards to allow the men to be better seen.
Additional edges have been added at the back so that men are not 'floating in air'

water now has a rising/falling action as well as additional lighting on the edges

AdamStrange(Posted 2016) [#9]
ok, small but major change:

Looking at the above pic you can see there are 5 campaigns. with the first one highlighted.

The problem was there was no connection between these. so...

A small change to the map and some tiny modes here and there (mainly the top campaign is now 1 and the bottom is 5).

Which means...
1 complete map

when you finish a campaign, the entire map scrolls isometrical up/right to reveal the next part of the map.

This means a complete map will be more varied with sometimes having hate other times a river, sometimes really flat, and other very hilly. With everything being able to exist on a complete map.

Here's a cut up to show what I mean:

Derron(Posted 2016) [#10]
Is the "repetion" of the most top-right tile-row intented - or did it just happen when mocking up the explanation screen?

bye
Ron

Mainsworthy(Posted 2016) [#11]
I know your an artest and you've got a surface, get corel painter, its like real art supplies, its fantastic, if I never use my sueface for anything else its was worth every penny

AdamStrange(Posted 2016) [#12]
I'm a photoshop man (I've actually had a graphics tablet since NT4) And used to have Painter when it was fractal designs and came in a real paint tin!

AdamStrange(Posted 2016) [#13]
ok, new map system basically operations now :)

next up is some landscape variation. here higher ground has some snow with dynamo sleet and snow falling at different rates

Next will be rain and dynamic smoke

Steve Elliott(Posted 2016) [#14]
Sorry mate lol. Just think you're a talent, and I want to play some of your completed games :)

Wiedzmax(Posted 2016) [#15]
I actually don't value card games on PC -they are too simple to be ported
yours instead are - the plain strategy : you implement tactics, disposition, different actions, different statuses - that is definitives of a strategy game

But i'm here for MUCH different reason - may I ask about the terrain engine you using here - it looks like the one i need myself. It seems too advanced comparing to the plot you install on it - i mean the game is too simple for the engine you utilizing .
Just to proove that point - engine show fully ready tileslopes representing ground or water, and the slope gives more functionality - depth of a water or a waterfall feature, you can use this to implement submerged or subterranean objects - but you didn't also land depth is much greater than needed for your project . My questions are :
- did you developed the engine yourself or took one semi- ready ?
- is it fully tied with a game so extraction would be a lot of work ?
- what programming language it was written - i mean which one even out of BB's : plus, 3d or Max
the last one quez - I NEED THAT ENGINE how i can obtain it ?

AdamStrange(Posted 2016) [#16]
lol, no problem

ok first off, the terrain engine it's my creation in blitzmax

next is have a look at this post:
http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=106157

it gives the basic engine concept - it's using blocks and not smoothed sides.
- find the basic angle and create the base map grid from there
- add heights per map[x, y] and offset vertically
- connect the map heights and use them as the grid would give you the same basic look as above

ok, the engine itself is not isometric, but will,operate at any angle E.G.:

You can see the landscape itself at a completely different angle, but you can also see the overlaid graphics are now wrong!

So the landscape is procedural and sorta 2.5d in that it is not made from bitmaps, but directly drawn, the colours can be changed, etc

Next up is the graphics:
These are overlaid on top of the map. The display has a fixed bitmap size (independent from the actual window size) so I can use a standard isometric bitmap for the graphics: E.G. direct from the graphics:

You can clearly see the graphics are all based in one image atlas and are isometric. Using different colours and alpha and sizes they form the landscape

There's a bit more to it, but in principle it's not that difficult.

now... the fixed map (not rotating) is reference as top left (the highest point) is x-0, y=0
-moving right along the top is the x axis 0 to 13
-moving down along the left side is the x axis 0 to 13

the 0 axis is the transparent bits
locations 1 to 12 are the shown map
location 13 you never see, but it is there to make some calculations faster

last answer:
What do you have in mind if the engine was separated?

AdamStrange(Posted 2016) [#17]
ok, quickie for you:

WTF!

Oh, it's just dirty black smoke emanating from each map location!

Wiedzmax(Posted 2016) [#18]
thanx already for the info
but objects - is no meaning for me i need the platformer itself thus anything you put upon is content of your game - not mine
in other words : i'll put different objects there and their shapes and/or geometry would definitely be of my origin and , anyway thanx for mentioning - that is really important note especially for my task and specifically that it can be rotated would be of even greater use in my case
about your last question - off course i make my game using it !
and if you curious beyond temper - i'll especially utilize sides for underground objects - reveal and manipulate them in many ways.
It will be the strategy as yours but of much greater scope - with economics, building and ... better if i name it classic 4X type.
though , i can't put more details - some things ready to be implemented, some formed as ideas, and some just recently came to my mind ; something i will definitely do, but something are in question and i can throw them away.
anyway , i can't say more till i get the feel of the engine

Derron(Posted 2016) [#19]
So you got a new monkey toy to play with ;-) - or is there another reason for the sudden stop ?

Next to the black smoke: what about having "fog" moving on the landscape - reducing visibility-range.

bye
Ron

Mainsworthy(Posted 2016) [#20]
Adam, please watch a youtube cideo on twilight struggle for the ipad, its got a lot of similarities to your game, not the same but good ideas, and its the best fame ive played on the ipad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oxip9HnFjVY

PS: the surface keyboard cant be used on the lap like a laptop, so if you going to use a keyboard, just plug a normal keyboard in, I'm telling you this as you don't have a keyboard yet.

AdamStrange(Posted 2016) [#21]
Loved the sound effects swooshing graphics.

I've been away on public relations conference (visit to the in-laws) so that's the reason for the quietness of late ;)

Mainsworthy(Posted 2016) [#22]
Basicaly the map location has 3 values, the static control value, and the friendly force value and the enemy force value. the more points you add with cards to a location minus the enemy force points counts towards control. if you control a location you gain points, the cards have force points and events, so you can play the event or add points, the event could be to reduce enemy points etc... then you can try coup to capture a location. I swear when I saw it , it was your game in the making.

you don't have to tell me about the inlaws, its a game free zone :)

Derron(Posted 2016) [#23]
Any news?

Just try to nag you ... to avoid another "jump to the next cool thing".
Would just be a pity to see the next project set to "hold on ice". If you need ideas/gfx/support code: drop a line and maybe you will find some of us helping you if our skillset allows.

bye
Ron