panGEMic MAC OSX BETA release

Community Forums/Showcase/panGEMic MAC OSX BETA release

coffeedotbean(Posted 2016) [#1]
Hi all I got around to getting an OSX version complied on Yosemite 10.10.5 (VMWare) seems to run just dandy but if any one can test it and let me know that would be super!

download here: https://supertino.itch.io/

Derron(Posted 2016) [#2]
Is there a need to compile with "10.10.5" (need to setup a VM too... still running Snow Leopard - 10.6).

For now I did not get complaints from Mac-Users but I am unsure whether it has negative impacts.

BTW: good luck with satisfying some players ;-)

bye
Ron

coffeedotbean(Posted 2016) [#3]
@Derron - I just added the version number in case anyone reported issues but to my knowledge not relevant.

Derron(Posted 2016) [#4]
No I meant: are newer Mac OS variants having problems with ones build on older releases?

Just asking whether I need to update too.

bye
Ron

coffeedotbean(Posted 2016) [#5]
@Derron - Nah don't think it matters, though I am far from an expert.

AdamStrange(Posted 2016) [#6]
On a real mac here:
el capitan (I can test on a mountain lion too)

OK, you've got a severe issue with timing:
- the top timer ticks down properly in seconds
- everything else is a super speed (I would guess about x10)

- it opened in fullscreen first! Windowed would be better
- it doesn't respond to mac window controls ctrl+cmd+f to operate windowing (but unless you know what you are doing it's not surprising)

-on the options screen for keyboard you just ask for each key in succession, it would be better to show the current keys at once and allow the user to change what they want
-you can't select ctrl or alt for keys

coffeedotbean(Posted 2016) [#7]
@Adam - Thanks for trying it out I just uploaded a 'fixed' version, I had change some settings with the build as it ran really slow on the VM - I have since found a fix (still not 100%) for that but I didn't think to make a new build, still not sure if reverting the change will fix the super speed. I uploaded the new build to itch.io. I'll also address your other concerns when its working properly.

Derron(Posted 2016) [#8]
- it opened in fullscreen first! Windowed would be better

For my game - up to nobody blamed the game starting in "windowed mode". (up to nobody: less than a handful wanted the game to start right in full screen)

@Super speed
How should a "VM build time improvement" fix "super speed"? For me it sounds as if you rely on "vsync" or so (instead of using a "timer" or the "deltatimer method").
If you separated logic and rendering, you should be able to fix such issues without much hassle.

bye
Ron

coffeedotbean(Posted 2016) [#9]
@Derron - yes currently I use VSYNC, I had VSYNC disabled in the first MAC build that Adam tried, I have timing code in the game (simple render/update seperation) but its disabled as it's not as smooth as VSYNC as there is no delta or interpolation applied to movements, push comes to shove I can enable it for MAC.

Steve Elliott(Posted 2016) [#10]

it opened in fullscreen first! Windowed would be better

Nonsense! Games should be fullscreen, not in a small window with the clutter of the desktop showing around it.

AdamStrange(Posted 2016) [#11]
Yep all works great now - what was the VSYNC thing you mentioned?

Nonsense! Games should be fullscreen

Arrogant little comment. it's MY computer and YOU tell me how it should be run.
I personally prefer that at least the setting are kept so each user has their own setting :)

coffeedotbean(Posted 2016) [#12]
Time out you two, Adam to the corner, Steve on the step I don't want to hear a peep from either of you until I am done watching Game of Thrones.

@Adam - thanks for testing again, I turned VSYNC off 'flip(0)' on the first build, the one you just tried had it turned on 'flip(-1)' which is also the 'flip' default AFAIK.

@Adam - I'll see if I can add ctrl+cmd+f equivalent, currently you can switch full\window with F5 but it's only mentioned in the 'tips' on the stage screen.

@Adam - I probably wont change the control config; either show the config or allowing modifier keys, might reconsider if it gets on green-light.

@Steve/Adam - As to starting in full or window mode as you can see opinions are always mixed, I've toyed with the idea of having a 'first run' window at startup to choose but didn't seem necessary, again might consider if it gets on greenlight.

Think I'll go make a OSX build of Lunar Escape now.

Steve Elliott(Posted 2016) [#13]

Arrogant little comment. it's MY computer and YOU tell me how it should be run.

As did you!! We'll have to agree to disagree. Once the user makes their selection the computer will remember the selection for next time anyway.

I just think a game in a window gives an amateurish look, and is not immersive. If you want to play a game, play a game, rather than icons and other windows cluttering up the background.

User taste aside, I would think a game gives a better impact filling the screen and into a demo mode. If the user wants to switch back into desktop mode for some work, then that's a different matter.

AdamStrange(Posted 2016) [#14]
Looks like F5 is a windows shortcut ;)

Steve Elliott(Posted 2016) [#15]
lol. This reminds me, I'll have to give the PC version a go with my new Xbox 360 controller.

[Edit]
Works brilliantly on the controller.

AdamStrange(Posted 2016) [#16]
I do hope you don't run it FullScreen, cause I've got an army of very hungry Ninja trained mice here, who would like to debate the impending Cheese Mountain with you ;P

Steve Elliott(Posted 2016) [#17]
lol, whatever you decide - great job on the game mate.

coffeedotbean(Posted 2016) [#18]
@Steve - good to know thanks again for testing

FYI just uploaded a MAC version of Lunar Escape 2600 - now for the trickier task of LINUX builds.

steve_ancell(Posted 2016) [#19]
I thought level 8 was crazy but level 9 is just batshit insane. This game is gonna cause some people major baldness.

coffeedotbean(Posted 2016) [#20]
I will not be held responsible for bald patches developing as a result of playing this game. I can sure everyone that every stage can be completed within the 25 sec time limit, if the skull appears "git gud".

Steve Elliott(Posted 2016) [#21]
lol I like the sound of a challenging old skool game. Been too busy setting up my pi, MAME and controller to fully test.

Will plug in the Xbox 360 Controller and give it a good go...Has Lunar Escape got the slow down bug fix in yet (on PC)?

Why0Why(Posted 2016) [#22]
Just my 2p, I think games should open full screen and there can be a windowed option in settings.

Derron(Posted 2016) [#23]
With blitzmax not playing nice with multiscreen setups... fullscreen kills eg. your VirtualBox-setup on another screen: you get the fullscreen app on all your screens resulting in a res-change ...which leads to autoresize of applications. So eg Photoshop-palettes (i am on an old CS1) move to wrong coordinates etc.

So no...starting fullscreem is not the best solution.

Another thing is that alt-tab of OpenGL-fullscreen-windows does not work for all DEs. So there you use windowless-fullscnreen.

Bye
Ron

Matthew Smith(Posted 2016) [#24]
Terrific - works well on my Win10 machine with an Xbox 360 controller! Great job!

Steve Elliott(Posted 2016) [#25]

Terrific - works well on my Win10 machine with an Xbox 360 controller! Great job!

Same system and controller as mine. Loving this game. Tricky - but very good! :)