panGEMic Beta and first look

Community Forums/Showcase/panGEMic Beta and first look

coffeedotbean(Posted 2016) [#1]
Game is finished - see new post http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=106362

Chalky(Posted 2016) [#2]
Brilliant! Took me right back to my early 8bit days. Very slick - though pretty hard with keyboard (I don't own a joystick/pad/controller). Certainly reminds me how rubbish I am/was at these types of game!

BlitzSupport(Posted 2016) [#3]
Definitely looks the part!

Matthew Smith(Posted 2016) [#4]
Nice!

Steve Elliott(Posted 2016) [#5]
Lovely Spectrum graphics and nostalgic gameplay. Sadly your games don't run well on my system for some reason. Lunar Escape was unplayable, but this moves quicker - although a quarter of the speed your animation shows.

coffeedotbean(Posted 2016) [#6]
Thanks All

@Steve - by chance do you have a joy-pad plugged in? I noticed if my game was playing and I turned on my Wireless 360 pad the game would slow to about a quarter for around 10 seconds then go back to normal... doesn't happen with the USB pad though?!

Steve Elliott(Posted 2016) [#7]
@coffeedotbean No joy-pad plugged in.

Strange. What language are your games written in?

coffeedotbean(Posted 2016) [#8]
@Steve - Max (latest release), nothing intensive going on as you might expect, I’ve tried it on two machines, one matches your desktop but with a better gfx. card and the other is an atom based NUC both run it fine? I think ill compile a GL version when I get home to see if it’s a DX issue.

I just found this http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=97306 I do use a number of view ports in the game and my framework as a whole so maybe that’s an issue. I’ll post up a GL version later today.

AdamStrange(Posted 2016) [#9]
Brilliant stuff :)

coffeedotbean(Posted 2016) [#10]
@Steve - I posted (updated link) a new version, Tweaked some bit here and there and also added the ability to change the display driver with 1,2,3 for troubleshooting. Appreciate it if you could try this and let me know.

Steve Elliott(Posted 2016) [#11]
Unfortunately they all run at the same slow speed. At first I thought it might have been the same slow down problem that Blitz3D had on newer systems - but you're using BlitzMax.

coffeedotbean(Posted 2016) [#12]
humm... we'll I am at a lose why that's happening, I am going to try it on a few more systems this weekend; with any lucky it will play up on one those too and I'll have a testing platform to get the bottom of it. Thanks for the time Steve.

Steve Elliott(Posted 2016) [#13]
No probs, hope we can sort out the problem.

Brucey(Posted 2016) [#14]
Looks great! Well done!

we'll I am at a lose why that's happening

It might be a joystick polling issue?
Some of the joystick stuff polls way more than it needs to - and if you are doing that every frame, that's a lot of polling! (actually the keyboard stuff is just as bad, but you don't notice it on desktop - but it does show up on mobile builds of BlitzMax, eg. android/ios)

You could try a build with all the joystick stuff disabled and see if that makes a difference on Steve's system.

Brucey(Posted 2016) [#15]
Hmm. double post... I'm getting a "mandrill" key error when I tried to post.

coffeedotbean(Posted 2016) [#16]
@Brucey - that's a good school of thought, I do poll each frame, at a min. I JoyCount() 3 times each frame and if a joystick is found a large number of JoyHit(), JoyX(), JoyY(), JayHat() polls are done on top of that.
The good news is I found a machine the game runs at half speed on so I can use that for testing over the weekend, odd this doesn't happen for all machines though?!

Derron(Posted 2016) [#17]
The problem with JoyHit() etc is, that they poll the whole thing each time.

In my input class I stored the whole Keyboard-state each time (key[KEY_ESCAPE] = KeyHit(KEY_ESCAPE) - and this for all keys). Brucey measured on his mobile and found that this lead to a huge amount of polls and events). This is why "SetAutoPoll()" was introduced (to disable that polling/event-thingy). Maybe this is needed for joystick-stuff too.

bye
Ron

steve_ancell(Posted 2016) [#18]
Nice little platformer if I may say so. :)

steve_ancell(Posted 2016) [#19]
Sorry, double post due to server fartage.

steve_ancell(Posted 2016) [#20]
I'm not sure if it's possible but maybe you could add directional buttons selection to joypad configuration, it's a pain in the chad having to use the XBox 360 analog thumbstick on a game like this.

[edit]Still getting that mandrill error BTW![/edit]

steve_ancell(Posted 2016) [#21]
It's OK, forget that last comment. D-Pad seems to be working OK now.

coffeedotbean(Posted 2016) [#22]
*Edit* oh never mind then :p *Edit*

It checks for input from joyHat and JoyX\Y - on the xbox 360 the left stick is JoyX\Y and the DPad is JoyHat so both methods should work, on my SNES controller the dpad is JoyX\Y. What controller are you using Steve?

steve_ancell(Posted 2016) [#23]
Using XBox 360 controller, it failed to work on the D-Pad on first go but seemed fine after I quit and re-loaded.

All seems to be fine now.

[edit]Pretty damn good game BTW. ;) [/edit]

coffeedotbean(Posted 2016) [#24]
I think I have fixed the slow down, issue just seemed to be that I was using Flip(1) which was not really necessary. Now runs as expected on the machine I experienced the slow down, added some other stuff too, download updated.

Steve Elliott(Posted 2016) [#25]

I think I have fixed the slow down

Sadly you haven't - and you've updated the demo level too. It's impossible to reach the coin and so slow.

I tried to help ya out by updating my graphics drivers, but no joy.

Steve Elliott(Posted 2016) [#26]
Hmm BRL, what's going on here with posting at the site? Not just me on that one.

Steve Elliott(Posted 2016) [#27]
ok kind of solved your problem. When no joypad is plugged in it runs in slow motion using keyboard controls. When a Joypad IS plugged in it runs at full speed! :D So check your code buddy :)

coffeedotbean(Posted 2016) [#28]
Hi Steve - appreciate the effort and time you've taken. I have Re-uploaded with the fixed stage now. Now I think of it I only tested the game on the machine that had slow down with a pad connected. I think ill rip out all joystick stuff and create some new functions that I can turn off/on for testing.

Steve Elliott(Posted 2016) [#29]
No probs mate, be good to finally be able to play your games :)

Steve Elliott(Posted 2016) [#30]
Re-uploaded? I'm getting an error now.

coffeedotbean(Posted 2016) [#31]
Give it a download now, now includes two builds one with tweaked code to with any luck squash this issue, the other build has no joystick code at all so be a good tests to see if that truly is what is causing the issue.

Brucey(Posted 2016) [#32]
I JoyCount() 3 times each frame...

Yeah, that would probably do it :-)

Steve Elliott(Posted 2016) [#33]

Give it a download now, now includes two builds one with tweaked code to with any luck squash this issue, the other build has no joystick code at all so be a good tests to see if that truly is what is causing the issue.

No joystick version now works perfectly.
Joystick version also works perfectly too! :D

Problem solved.

coffeedotbean(Posted 2016) [#34]

Thanks everyone and especially Steve for being the unofficial testers. I have also applied the fixes to my Lunar Escape game.

Today I can chill and spruce up the tile sets a little.

Steve Elliott(Posted 2016) [#35]
Haha, no problem. Glad I was able to help. Be good to finally give Lunar Escape a go too.

coffeedotbean(Posted 2016) [#36]
just finished up a proper stage editor for the game. Now to probably spend much longer creating 30-50 stages.

Steve Elliott(Posted 2016) [#37]
Very nice! At least with a purpose built editor you can create and test them easily.

coffeedotbean(Posted 2016) [#38]
It's done http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=106362

Matthew Smith(Posted 2016) [#39]
Good job! Looks like fun!