ZippyJones - Lazy Jones Remake.

Community Forums/Showcase/ZippyJones - Lazy Jones Remake.

Dan(Posted 2016) [#1]
Earlier today i decided to make a Video of the Lazy Jones Remake Game. It is Called Zippy Jones, and is written with the Blitz3d language.

The Game is done and it is playable as it is.
There are few things that could be added, like Screen Resolution options, and Controler options and maybe an Animated demo screen ...

Makis(Posted 2016) [#2]
nice

Blitzplotter(Posted 2016) [#3]
Good work :-D

Hardcoal(Posted 2016) [#4]
I remember this game well..
great job

markcw(Posted 2016) [#5]
This is a fun concept. I never heard of this game before.

I'm curious, did you disassemble it or just play it lots and then try to reproduce gameplay? Also what was your biggest problem/difficulty? :)

Dan(Posted 2016) [#6]
I had played this long time ago, now and then.It was fun for a bit, and had different Tunes for each Room.

I wanted to write some mini games, or mini games collection, so i thought i could do a Port of this game.

So i started this project with the "The hills are alive" minigame.

Only sprites were used from the original game (with the help of C64 Sprite ripper and WinVice emulator.
Some of them were colored differently from the Original.

The Game mechanics i have recreated by watching Lazy Jones Longplay on youtube, by Playing it on the Emulator or from the memory.

This game has not the 100% exact gameplay as the Original, because i wanted it only to look like Original.
The same counts for the Scoring and Time reduction/increase.

The First thing that was done is the Game Engine, containing the Before Game,InGame and Gameover loop, which is the same for every game except for the Game Lounge, which uses bigger screen than the other mini games.
After the First minigame was done, and playabe, the rest was easy.
Each game took arround 1 day for Writing,Playtesting and debugging.And another week or 2 to Adjust scoring, and to add the Soundeffects, which were made with bfxr and Audacity

The last thing what was done, was the Hotel room, where Jones needed to enter the Rooms to play the Games. In my video you can see a bug, where the PlayedGames variable is not reseted, so the rooms would keep reseting after each Game.

The biggest difficulty was with the Game called "Lazer Jones". As every sprite should get different Color while moving down.
As Blitz3d cant change the color of the sprites (like blitzmax), and i didnt wanted to use 1000 sprite images for every line and animation, i had to invent something to recreate this collorfull effect. Who would say that the Sprites are composed of 2 different images with 2 frames of animation, with 2 collors (same as the original game).
This was the real challenge at that time, as i had to change the way how to display the sprites on the screen (which is, usualy, displaying the images directly where they are,changing only the animation of them).

Btw, the whole game is in 320x240. It can be Resized to the fullscreen using the Resizeable blitzbasic window.

markcw(Posted 2016) [#7]
Cool, thanks Dan! Good to know what tools you used.

One thing that seems a bit wrong is the height that Jones jumps in the hotel, it seems in the original he jumps higher.

I'm not sure I follow the "Lazer Jones" sprite colors problem, there's about 6 colors for invaders and they're pre-colored images? I see the lazer bolt is white as opposed to flashing colors in the original (grey/red/yellow/blue/green/cyan?).

Some criticism, I notice you've no music which I prefer, and there's no Jones in the room foreground which makes you wonder where he's gone. I would change the serif/typewriter font to sans serif as it's a bit too familiar, also the score/time numbers are noticeably unaligned which looks careless. Other than that it looks fine.

smilertoo(Posted 2016) [#8]
yay lazy jones.

Dan(Posted 2016) [#9]
Thanks for the Feedback, munch.

As for his jumping height, actually he is jumping even higher than in original.
As i do not know how exactly it was done in original game, i have used something that works, with pixel perfect collision. Or else Jones wouldnt be able to jump over the npc's, to avoid them.

For the "Lazer Jones" game, i needed to decide to either make and color every sprite separately, which would result in arround 46 different sprite images, which would then, somehow, needed to be calculated and positioned on the screen.
Or what i had in Mind, is to use some colorfull background, and to draw the sprites over it, using transparent images (simulating the raster effects from the c64 demos).
And it was done in that way, with some extra copy and paste work.
Maybe it cant be seen in the video, but the sprites are not sigle colored, but have a gardient collor in them.

For the font, everything was fine, using the standard blitz.font. Everything until iv playtested it on a system, which didnt had blitzbasic installed. The font in that case was like 2x2 pixel, which resulted in, well, unreadable text.
So after testing few fonts, Courier New looked as it could fit the height, and still look ok.
But maybe i should go back to the Blitz font, and include it into the Archive (if i decide to release the Game).

markcw(Posted 2016) [#10]
Maybe he doesn't jump long enough or is moving too slow, it does look harder to jump the npc in the remake.

That's a great solution for Lazer Jones, I did notice the colors were gradiented. It looks fine although I think the invaders stay purple at the bottom whereas in the original they go red last.

I would definitely change the courier new font to blitz, also the Game Over text would look better if it flashes.

Another thing that would look good is to slide the room contents to the left after game over like in the original, just to give the player a bit of a breather.

(tu) ENAY(Posted 2016) [#11]
Best game on the C64. Have to agree that the running animation and running speed is not right. And of course (although you couldn't add it anyway) doesn't seem as exciting without the music from the original game.