Sirius Online - What Blitz3D can do Today!

Community Forums/Showcase/Sirius Online - What Blitz3D can do Today!

vektorDex(Posted 2016) [#1]
Hello, I'm Dex, and I'm the Lead Dev and Creatore of a Space Game called "Sirius Online", which just launched a Kickstarter. First have a look at the 100% Ingame Graphics Trailer:

Sirius Online is a Mix between Freelancer and EVE. Its on Steam in Early Access in "Mostly Positive" and is being constantly updated. And it's entirely Blitz3D!

If you feel like this could be the Game for you, head either to Steam, or support the entire Project on Kickstarter!

Steam:
Click me I'm a steamified Link!

Kickstarter:
Here be Kickstarters

If you have any questions, feel free to ask them, I'll try to answer them as fast as I can, its been rather stressful the past days ;)

Greetings, Dex

Derron(Posted 2016) [#2]
"What Blitz3D can do Today"

Seems a bit "talked big" to me.
Objects look a bit low poly (asteroids + ship hulls). Ingame-HUD is not shown in this trailer (and has not directly to do with Blitz3D and what it can do today)

Am only judging on the visuals: gameplay wise I cannot see anything than "flying ships in space" and "all planets seem to have this corona around".

Maybe show of more "ingame"-style things in a cinematic trailer, or some explosions, just to get away from this "dark space"-scenery.

Nonetheless: good luck on your kickstarter (albeit I am a bit pessimistic about this, as todays people either want retro-pixel-things or really good looking 3D or handmade 2D).

Viel Erfolg.

PS: it is a programming site, so _here_ you might add some phrases on what you had to do to make it how it is today (enhancing blitz3D, coding AI ...).

bye
Ron

Krischan(Posted 2016) [#3]
Looks nice so far for a project of two brothers. I've always been a fan of space games and enjoyed Freelancer a lot.

Is this your first big project? If so I'd suggest you create a smaller game first, without the online/server stuff and promote it for free to prove you're able to finish it. Later, you can collect money for a bigger project if the community wants more.

I doubt that Blitz3D is the right framework / future-proof for such a large project and 26.000 Euros are a lot of money to collect in 23 days. Did you spent enough time for the story / game design before you wrote the first line of code? This is the most important part of a game I think. For example: last week I enjoyed Starflight 1 on Amiga/MISC again and beside the tricky interface this was still a great space game though it has blocky 2D graphics from 1986.

Gruß aus Dreieich.

Krischan(Posted 2016) [#4]
Looks nice so far for a project of two brothers. I've always been a fan of space games and enjoyed Freelancer a lot.

Is this your first big project? If so I'd suggest you create a smaller game first, without the online/server stuff and promote it for free to prove you're able to finish it. Later, you can collect money for a bigger project if the community wants more.

I doubt that Blitz3D is the right framework / future-proof for such a large project and 26.000 Euros are a lot of money to collect in 23 days. Did you spent enough time for the story / game design before you wrote the first line of code? This is the most important part of a game I think. For example: last week I enjoyed Starflight 1 on Amiga/miST again and beside the tricky interface this was still a great space game though it has blocky 2D graphics from 1986.

Gruß aus Dreieich.

Volturna(Posted 2016) [#5]
Hope you reach your goal. Saw Steam comments and seems you have to bring some action into the game... maybe random missions with some backstory?

Keep the good work!

Brucey(Posted 2016) [#6]
Looks good :-)

Maybe show of more "ingame"-style things

Yeah, and when do you ever see that in game trailers? :-p

Derron(Posted 2016) [#7]
Yeah, and when do you ever see that in game trailers? :-p

The game trailer does not seem to reflect the type of the gameplay, (slow paced, fast paced etc.) - also it seems to be done in the graphics engine, so there is no additional polishing done (assume that at least).

@Looks
Surely looks better than what I am capable, but asking for money often needs to satisfy higher desires - which is why I wrote about that too.

bye
Ron

vektorDex(Posted 2016) [#8]
Well, after a nice (but short) night full of sleeps:

@Derron:
Making B3D (Serverside even now) handle up to 3k Users at the same time and allowing 150+ Fleetfights is no easy task. If you follow my post history on here, I was using an extremely modified version of BPLite, the free version even, as SimpleUDP and other network libs didn't work fopr me. From there I expanded and made it work bigger and bigger. Now it supports a 3D Movement Prediction System, Shared Events, Global Quests and much much more. The Server Binary is going to be replaced with a C++ program later to allow even more, like Shared NPCs.

Meanwhile In the Client you have a nearly infinite Universe with Hidden Asteroid Belts, Pirate Bases full of AI (Players have not managed to take down a purple base yet.) and soon to mone battlefields, lost resource caches and even comets.

I've been spending 15 years on this, So I pretty much know what I'm doing ;)

@Krischan: Its by no means my first project, I dabbled in AMIbasic and QBASIC with a released game and had a series of games in B3D as well. 15 Years of work are included in Sirius, and it went through many names, like "Starradon Online", "NeoCracy Online" until it landed as Sirius Online. I think you might remember me from the german BlitzForum as Dragon2000X. Until June 2015 I didn't think my project was fit for the public, so I spent most of my time working on this, fixing, editing, adding new stuff.

EDIT: I've been trying to get your Elite Scanner to work, but, in terms of using it efficiently and performance wise i Created my own solution ;)

I have added some Images of ingame stuffy mcstuffingtons here:

The UI is still being worked on to transition into the new stly, seen in the Market. Likewise, the Quests get their own Box and so on. (btw: Making Steam API work with Sirius is still something extremely complcated, but we got most of it working)

Greetings, Dex

RemiD(Posted 2016) [#9]
@vektorDex>>It looks good, well done. :)

Derron(Posted 2016) [#10]
Is there a reason have b3d running serverside wise too? To emulate the world?
Think that creates a big monolith (one big binary doing everything) instead of modularized sharing of the work load.

As this would mean, only way to scale player amount up, is to buy/rent a more powerful machine.

Hmm, you could have a machine per "X quadrants" + machines for global things (chat, guild, ....). So they (the quadrant machines) only need to sync for players interacting / moving between the quadrants.

I did not play your game so I do not know whether "3.000" is sufficient or if this means seeing up to nobody for hours of flying around.
Also I do not know how many players you estimate to play concurrently.

@15 years
Yeah, started with TVGigant/TVTower in ~2001 too. Nonetheless most of the work done was rewriting things as others got obsolete or "this could be done better"-optimizations. Once "game logic" works, it is way easier to transfer to something "new". On the other hand I think "finishing first" might be the better approach to "always strive for something better" (which we developers are often living for).

bye
Ron

vektorDex(Posted 2016) [#11]
@Derron
We started like this just out of curiosity. It going to be replaced soon with a decent C++ coded Server application. It just worked and If it works, don't touch it until you're absolutely safe having a proper replacement ;)

I want to get this game done first, or at least most of the parts, and get a decent funding done to switch to a new Engine. A rather finished game is more likely to have a dedicated following as it has now.

3000 Is sufficient, because currently its handled single treaded. Multithreaded will increase the performance later on in the development course.

RustyKristi(Posted 2016) [#12]
Amazing game and feat for B3D. So your server runs B3D on windows too or do you have another backend engine/language for servers?

vektorDex(Posted 2016) [#13]
Actually, currently it runs on a linux server using Wine in a shell interface.

RustyKristi(Posted 2016) [#14]
Ah ok nice one!

Blitzplotter(Posted 2016) [#15]
and is being constantly updated. And it's entirely Blitz3D!

This looks like a very interesting project, akin to Homeworld/Homeworld 2 but 'bigger' and more ambitious.

I dabbled with a server/client thing a few years or more ago in B3D but had limited success with synchronising the clients with the server (it was a truck/car based thing - and certainly did not have nowhere near the polish of your endeavour)

Until June 2015 I didn't think my project was fit for the public, so I spent most of my time working on this, fixing, editing, adding new stuff.

This feels like an understatement - but - Great stuff :)