Chef Solitaire: USA TriPeaks - on GooglePlay!

Community Forums/Showcase/Chef Solitaire: USA TriPeaks - on GooglePlay!

therevills(Posted 2016) [#1]
Hi All,

After around 5 months on and off development we have finally finished Chef Solitaire: USA TriPeaks! Yay!

Created using MonkeyX and the Diddy Framework. Available on GooglePlay:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.therevillsgames.csusatripeaks

Enjoy!

Cheers,
Steve

Matty(Posted 2016) [#2]
Hope it goes well for you.

Im curious to hear the install quantities in its first week.

Pingus(Posted 2016) [#3]
Congratulation for the release. How hard was the port from bmax ? I wonder if using bmxng would be an option...

The game works fine on my Asus tablet...except that it requires a double-tap to trigger anything (button, card..) which makes the play quite annoying. Was it on purpose ?

therevills(Posted 2016) [#4]
Thanks for the comments.

@Pingus... that is strange, no it should only require a single tab. What version of Android is it running? Could you try one of my other games please and see if the issue is still there:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.therevillsgames.piratesolitaire

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.therevillsgames.dttz

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.therevillsgames.flyingflappymonkey

Matty(Posted 2016) [#5]
May i ask how many downloads (two figures on dev console will do) youve had after 1 week.

Or simpler: is it more or less than 30 installs per day approximately in the first week?

therevills(Posted 2016) [#6]
The game currently got 99 installs and had 171 installs.

Pingus(Posted 2016) [#7]
Simple tap works with Pirate Tripeaks. Checked again and it requires a double tap with USA Solitaire. Impossible to win a minigame ;).
Android is 4.2

therevills(Posted 2016) [#8]
Thanks for that - could you have a go at one of the others please?

I've tested it on a Motorola Moto G, Samsung Galaxy 4, Nexus 7 and a Samsung Galaxy Tab S... and cant reproduce your issue :(

Must be something I'm missing...

Pingus(Posted 2016) [#9]
Flying Monkey runs fine. My tablet is a Asus K00Z. The first tap bring the android menu (so the touch is well detected), the second one trigger the object.
Could'nt it be some 'misinterpretation' of a old mouse code that is run instead of the touchscreen code ? The game really need a fast double-tap (like a double-click) to trigger something. If you go slowly, nothing happend.

How went the port from bmax to monkey, is it a full rewrite or a 'translation' of bmax code ?

therevills(Posted 2016) [#10]
Thanks again Pingus, I need to look thru the code some more. Within MonkeyX you can use "MouseHit" instead of "TouchHit"...

Both Flappy Monkey and this use the Diddy Framework, Pirates used pre-Diddy code... The main difference between Flappy and Chef is that I am using diddyGame.inputCache.MonitorTouch...

Just to confirm that it happens on everything including the title screen menu buttons?

The port was mainly a translation of bmax code, although the mobile version is a cut down version of the desktop one. I spent too long adding map zooming on the mobile version and I had issues getting IAP and AdMob working on the latest version of Monkey. But all together it is a pretty painless process to convert bmx to mx.

Pingus(Posted 2016) [#11]
Just to confirm that it happens on everything including the title screen menu buttons?

Yep.

---------------

About the conversion, from my knowledge (correct me if I'm wrong), it seems that you are one of the rare people, if not the only one, having released a game handling a serious amount of resources (code and assets). Can you tell us how long take the compiling/building of the whole project compare to bmax ?

Matty(Posted 2016) [#12]
Thanks for the figures....yes - that's about what I expected to see. If I could express my thoughts - I think it is rather sad to have such low figures for a game that has had such work put into it. I think the brief golden age for mobile was in late 2011 early 2012 when you could get 4k installs in a few hours simply with the right title and reach 100k in a month even with a garbage game...nowadays it seems nigh on impossible to get more than a handful of installs per day.

I haven't played your game - solitaire isn't really my thing - but I may give it a go in the coming weeks, if I do I will give it a positive rating (I can't imagine it being a bad game)...my suggestion is that if you are going to get people to rate it and review it get them to do so in the first 30 days because at the end of the month google reranks the play store entries (calendar month) and you'll notice a sharp drop in installs should the rating drop below 4.00 on average at that date.

from Matt

therevills(Posted 2016) [#13]
@Pingus - HTML5 takes around 4 seconds, Android takes around 65 seconds to fully load onto my Nexus 7.

I've uploaded a new version of Chef (v1.02) which I think fixes your issue, could you please check (it'll take a few hours to go thru GooglePlay's servers)

@Matty, yeah I know what you mean. Been thinking about Adwords etc to try to get the word out more....

Pingus(Posted 2016) [#14]
Hmm 65s each time you want to check a change on the real device... sounds annoying.

Hey, the fix works :)
So what was the issue ?

therevills(Posted 2016) [#15]
Yeah it is pretty annoying, but because of the speed of HTML5 it doesnt matter too much. I basically prototype in HTML5.

Hey, the fix works :)

Thanks so much for testing, glad it works!

So what was the issue ?

To many MouseHit checks when using the InputCache code in Diddy would wipe out the value of it.

BlitzMan(Posted 2016) [#16]
Hi therevills are you using a community mod like Diddy,Fantom,or are you using your own framework.To create your Monkey games.

Matty(Posted 2016) [#17]
Adwords : if you do it work out the cost benefit analysis. What you may find is unless you spend a lot you will only get exposure in third world English speaking nations or places like kazakhstan etc. Also often the big players bid so much on adwords you may not get very far with it.

This sounds negative but it is the reality.

Your best bet is adwords because it can promote within the play store but you need to have a substantial budget to increase downloads by more than a factor of 4 per day even.

therevills(Posted 2016) [#18]
Hi therevills are you using a community mod like Diddy,Fantom,or are you using your own framework.To create your Monkey games.

I used my own... Diddy ;)

Your best bet is adwords because it can promote within the play store but you need to have a substantial budget to increase downloads by more than a factor of 4 per day even.

Thanks for the advice Matty, its appreciated :)

If you have played, it would be great if you could leave a review and rating please :)

Matty(Posted 2016) [#19]
Installing now...will let you know and review.

Matty(Posted 2016) [#20]
Edit - Just downloaded and played. Ran fine. Good music. Polished graphics. Nice interface. Reviewed it (5 star and comment).

Honest feedback:
Yes it is good. I didn't really know what I was doing at first but then I don't play many card games (and i did read the instructions) - but that's not your fault - I'm not much of a card player. I can see it would play perfectly for a person used to casual games...I didn't know what happened when all of a sudden a bunch of foods appeared in a box ... not sure if it was some kind of mini game or something but I didn't expect it and didn't really know what to do at all....I'm not used to these sorts of games.

The ads - the little ad at the top was unobtrusive which is good. The ads seemed relevant. I got ads for other solitaire games...which makes sense I suppose.

I think it is a perfect little example of a game that its audience would really love - the hard bit is going to find your audience in the wide world of the play store.

Advice:

Adwords will give you low quality users. You will get users, installers from Kazakhstan etc, but you will not get quality users from a demographic who plays your game...you will instead get the cheapest users that google can show ads to...unfortunately how it works.

Instead - I'd recommend targeting your existing users on your desktop version of the game with your own in game advertising.

However - I suppose a lot of it depends on what sort of return you hope to see on this product. Just a word of negative warning - I spent $1,500 AUD on marketing over 3 months last year on my Android game (which I believe was highly polished and a good product as shown by many of its reviews) and received the sum total of 10 sales over that time....

I'm curious to know if you have a goal that you wish to reach with this game in terms of income or if you are merely happy to have released a polished product (which it definitely is).

Matty(Posted 2016) [#21]
Additional - I will post a link to it on my facebook page and perhaps to my mum who has a new Android phone and she may want to play it because it is a card game...she used to play solitaire at work before retiring.

Matty(Posted 2016) [#22]
Played again this morning. Like it. The interstitial full screen ad was a bit of a shock. I thought it was an error message but after a few seconds i knew how to move on. I think the banner ad is probably sufficient...but then your talking to someone who if he watches tv or listens to the radio watches the abc.

Bought the ad free version.

therevills(Posted 2016) [#23]
Thanks Matty for the support and your advise :)

Hopefully you are getting the hang of the game now and the minigame. Yeah I guess its needs a tutorial for people who hasnt played that type of minigame before.

The interstitial ads can be a bit jarring, but thats where most of the revenue comes from.

Matty(Posted 2016) [#24]
Out of interest - do you know how much income you get per view of each type of ad approximately - or how many views of each equate to 1 dollar Australian?

therevills(Posted 2016) [#25]
Here's the report from AdMob for CS:USA

Matty(Posted 2016) [#26]
It looks like people are engaged with your game since the interstitial only comes up between levels..if youve had 13k interstitial impressions from about 200 players that's an average of 65 games each i guess....that's very good. Unless im wrong.

therevills(Posted 2016) [#27]
Yeah its something like that.

Its funny people complain about the ads, but the price is so low just to remove them... but they dont!

The race to the bottom has really hurt indies :(

Matty(Posted 2016) [#28]
What i dont understand is we will happily put $2 in daytona at the cinema which lasts 5 minutes....but refuse to pay $1 for a more in depth experience. Mobile gamers are morons.

Brucey(Posted 2016) [#29]
Presumably a lot of people only "click" on the full-screen ads because they didn't realise it was an ad.

It took me a few moments to understand what I was seeing when I first played the game.

Pingus(Posted 2016) [#30]
@Therevills,

Obviously this is not a matter of "how much" to pay, but rather a basic psychological fact : "why should I pay while there are thousands of other free similar games ?".

Just got an idea, what if, when a player enjoy your game,you would kindly explain him that your incomes comes from ads clicking and ask him to click on several ads in a row. You would explain that you will not bother him for xx hours (or never, to be tested). As a player knowing the 'truth' about indies I would do that, but clicking after each level is a pain and even if I know the truth I will not bother, but I would be ok to do it once in a while. I don't know if 'regular' people would understand... but the test may worth few hours of coding.

Matty(Posted 2016) [#31]
Therevills....another query....on the user acquisition tab of the developer console....for the month of april what was your percentage conversion from store visit to install. On the free version of my game i get between 10 and 12%... (paid is under 0.5%)

xlsior(Posted 2016) [#32]
you would kindly explain him that your incomes comes from ads clicking and ask him to click on several ads in a row

I'm pretty sure that will violate the terms & conditions of most ad networks, and you're likely to get shut down by them.

therevills(Posted 2016) [#33]
on the user acquisition tab of the developer console....for the month of april what was your percentage conversion from store visit to install.

For April:
STORE LISTING VISITORS | INSTALLERS
-----------------------+-----------
                 2,120 | 1,010 (48%)

Matty(Posted 2016) [#34]
That's pretty good...much better than what I get (about 13% at best for the free and less than 1% for the paid, in fact much, much less than 1%).....so your store page seems very good indeed.

Matty(Posted 2016) [#35]
Thought of your game when I saw this. Pity you cant be on the front page. Best way to increase downloads. Bastards. (Them not you)

Steve Elliott(Posted 2016) [#36]
Does Gordon Ramsay fully endorse that game?

therevills(Posted 2016) [#37]
No idea what has changed or how it happened but:

MONTH | STORE LISTING VISITORS | INSTALLERS
------+------------------------+---------------
 APR  |                  2,955 | 1,409  (47.7%)
 MAY  |                  3,989 | 1,954  (49.0%)
 JUN  |                  7,646 | 3,273  (42.8%)
 JUL  |                  8,112 | 3,861  (47.6%)
 AUG  |                 36,053 | 17,646 (48.9%)
 SEP  |                 71,974 | 26,952 (37.4%)

O_O

Derron(Posted 2016) [#38]
Seems in the middle of september someone reviewed your game ... leading to more users.

Cannot explain why it increases so "smoothly" (normally numbers raise by a big bit on the first day of a "popular site"-review).

Another option is: google updated its ranks/page ordering - so for certain keywords your game got more "famous" and therefor ranked better.
Such a thing would explain the "smooth" growth rate.

bye
Ron

therevills(Posted 2016) [#39]
Whatever the reason, I received a nice little bonus from my Admob... 4 digit figure!

Why0Why(Posted 2016) [#40]
Wow, what a great surprise! Thanks for posting.