luminous coral generator

Community Forums/Showcase/luminous coral generator

RemiD(Posted 2016) [#1]
Hello, :)

I need lightsources to produce lights in my video game, and i have decided to have some lights produced by fire and others by luminous things (rocks, mushrooms, corals)

So i needed a luminous coral generator, and here is the result :

screenshot :

animated gif (around 35mo) :
rd-stuff.fr/luminouscoral-generator-500x312-10fps.gif

demo (Windows) :
rd-stuff.fr/luminous-coral-generator-201604021545EXE.7z

Very nice imo, i am happy with the result :)

(I know that corals are not supposed to live overwater but whatever it is for a video game...)

That's all.

AdamStrange(Posted 2016) [#2]
very nice - vertex based?

RemiD(Posted 2016) [#3]
Yes, vertices colors for the coloring of the corals and vertices colors for the shading/lighting of the floor (subdivided each 0.5unit).

I am trying to produce a similar lightsource appearance with luminous rocks and luminous mushrooms. :D

RemiD(Posted 2016) [#4]
I have just noticed that my shading/lighting formula has an error (concerning the amount of lighting received depending on the angle between the light->vertex vector and the normal vector), so it looks nice because of an error. :P

Rick Nasher(Posted 2016) [#5]
Pretty nice neon-esk effect.

Endive(Posted 2016) [#6]
This is pretty.

Xilvan(Posted 2016) [#7]
Hi,

I think it looks
so amazing!

These corals
are great &
innovative.

Friendly,

RemiD(Posted 2016) [#8]
This is the power of using vertex color to color meshes ! (the shade between one color and another color is automatically calculated by directx7)

Another example that i find good imo (for humans characters) : http://3drt.com/store/characters/3d-people-avatars.html (these use different materials to color the triangles, so there are different surfaces and materials in each mesh, so it can be a bit slow to render many of them, but you can rebuild the mesh with one surface and color it with vertex colors or with one texture (containing several small 8x8 colors rectangles))

There are several ways to color a mesh !