OSX Invadar game

Community Forums/Showcase/OSX Invadar game

AdamStrange(Posted 2016) [#1]
https://adamstrange.itch.io/invadar

Just download free from itch - all BlitzMax :)

Steve Elliott(Posted 2016) [#2]
Nice retro graphics, shame it's OSX only :p

steve_ancell(Posted 2016) [#3]
If it's done in BlitzMax then can't you just do a compile for windows?

markcw(Posted 2016) [#4]
Ok I have to ask, how do you do that graphics with lines around the pixels?

Right, played it. I got to parsec 2 with a few greenies to go.

Worked flawlessly on my Macbook 1.2. I like the way you can resize the window. I also enjoyed the retro music.

xlsior(Posted 2016) [#5]
Ok I have to ask, how do you do that graphics with lines around the pixels?

I'd guess the easiest way is to simply have blocky graphics, and to move them 5 pixels at a time.

Dabhand(Posted 2016) [#6]
I like it... Never thought of doing it like that... Might have a pop at the technique myself! :)

Dabz

AdamStrange(Posted 2016) [#7]
I'd guess the easiest way is to simply have blocky graphics, and to move them 5 pixels at a time.

hmmm, not quite. the actual graphics resolutions is 256x192. This is the Sinclair Spectrum resolution. all graphics are true color single pixel.

So set the resolution, draw the graphics, reset the resolution then draw the lines around the pixels

Munch (if I remember correctly) each parsec introduces something new including new aliens and other stuff <grin>

xlsior(Posted 2016) [#8]
So set the resolution, draw the graphics, reset the resolution then draw the lines around the pixels

I see...

I do wonder if the continuously switching would be more or less overhead than simply having more pixels in the first place. :-)

(Looking closer, it does appear that the pixels are not uniform in size, some are square, while others are rectangular... I guess it's not an even division)

Either way, it does have a very nice retro look & feel, and given the low number of pixels actually looks pretty darn good.

markcw(Posted 2016) [#9]
Thanks Adam!

I'm also curious to know did you use Odd2d module or Max2d? And how long did it take to make? And what sound tool did you use?

AdamStrange(Posted 2016) [#10]
neither, it's all custom written.
I think it took about a month to polish up. Is say I think as it was written 2 years ago.
again with the sound I wrote the sound editor myself

markcw(Posted 2016) [#11]
Jeepers! Even the sound? Time to post that crying baby picture that Yue likes.