Lunar Escape 2600 - NOW AVAILABLE

Community Forums/Showcase/Lunar Escape 2600 - NOW AVAILABLE

coffeedotbean(Posted 2016) [#1]
It's done, it's out, get it now.

Don't get me started on Linux, spent most of the day getting it installed on an old Dell, then not able to even run MaxIDE on a 64bit distro, moving to 32bit distro and then over an hour trying to get sound.. I gave up, no wonder Linux is not mainstream.

DOWNLOAD

http://supertino.itch.io/lunar-escape-2600 (windows)

SCREENS

VIDEO

Makis(Posted 2016) [#2]
Very nice!

grindalf(Posted 2016) [#3]
This looks awesome

Steve Elliott(Posted 2016) [#4]
Nice! Reminds me of an old Speccy game.

steve_ancell(Posted 2016) [#5]
Cool! Very retro. :D

col(Posted 2016) [#6]
Reminds me of an old Speccy game.

It does for me too, but without the colour clash :p

Derron(Posted 2016) [#7]
the "stompers with chains": when they move up again, it seems as if the most-bottom-chain-element is hidden a bit too early.

Did you check if the resolution is the same as on the Atari 2600? the background seems so "curvy" - thought my games looked more blockish.

Hmppf... still have to code my "frostbite"-like-game (was my favorite on the Atari 2600). Surely having a WIP somewhere on my hard drive - think this is something for "NG" when my first android tablet arrives.

PS: I am not able to watch the image-animation embeded in the forums, it displays a broken image (did not happen to me, when others reported similar issues with other hosters). If it happens to _you_ too:

(think you used the wrong image link as this image link is now working)

bye
Ron

coffeedotbean(Posted 2016) [#8]
@All - Thanks for comments

@ Derron -
The chains on the stompers were actually designed like that to emulate how they'd be done on an old school system.
The faux resolution the game uses is 116x104 so not faithful, it's all up-scaled to native screen resolution though, the background is all built with 4x4 sprites, so some tiles have the edges cut off, you prob would not do that on an actual 2600 due to limited space to store the images.

Current Atlas - (distortion around some tiles due to 1px padding)

Derron(Posted 2016) [#9]
Thanks for the elaboration.

Maybe it looks like "back then" when I plug it into the last CRT at home (80cm ...so it should be blocky enough :-) ).

bye
Ron

AdamStrange(Posted 2016) [#10]
Really nice pixel graphics :)

Rick Nasher(Posted 2016) [#11]
Nice one, like the worms/leaches.

coffeedotbean(Posted 2016) [#12]
Cave 3/7 is my accidental homage to one of the first screens in the "Another world" game =D

Blitzplotter(Posted 2016) [#13]
That is so Kool & the Gang, nice work ;)

stayne(Posted 2016) [#14]
can we get a nsfw on that gif link?

coffeedotbean(Posted 2016) [#15]
@styne - did it have sexy ads? Sorry bout that, I moved the gif to my webspace (too lazy to do it before) so there should be no need for that link.

In other news, it's going good guns all code done, what's left is to add sound and then develop the stages. I might actual finish a game... that's new =D

Derron(Posted 2016) [#16]
@stayne
I posted that animated gif in #7.
Dunno what websites you visit (thinking of target audience advertising ;-)).

bye
Ron

Rick Nasher(Posted 2016) [#17]
@coffeedotbean:
That was exactly what I was thinking about when I first saw them leaches, so guess you succeeded. :-)

Dabhand(Posted 2016) [#18]
Nice! :)

Dabz

coffeedotbean(Posted 2016) [#19]
Anyone know of a place to find authentic free/custom Atari or TIA chip tune music? Search all over the web but came up empty. Also f'ing hard to find sound effects too surprisingly.

Brucey(Posted 2016) [#20]
Also f'ing hard to find sound effects too surprisingly.

Have you tried sfxr or bfxr for creating your own?

coffeedotbean(Posted 2016) [#21]
@Brucey - I say that looks good, I've also found out that Batari Basic has a music/sfx maker so I'll try that later today too.

Brucey(Posted 2016) [#22]
There's also an sfxr bah module/port - with not quite so many effects as bfxr.

stayne(Posted 2016) [#23]
Here you go my friend :)

http://www.bfxr.net

KronosUK(Posted 2016) [#24]
I find it amazing how much of a game you can get out of even a simple atlas, in terms of animation etc.

coffeedotbean(Posted 2016) [#25]
It's done

http://supertino.itch.io/lunar-escape-2600 (windows)

Steve Elliott(Posted 2016) [#26]
I couldn't get it to run properly in Windows 8.1 - it runs about 1 frame per second (even with compatibility settings).

Hotshot2005(Posted 2016) [#27]
It run very well on Surface 3 in window mode and full screen !

coffeedotbean(Posted 2016) [#28]
@Steve - I've tried it on windows 10 (2 machines) and on an old 2009 dell optiplex running windows 7 and all was well, I don't know what the problem could be?! I don't have a windows 8 to troubleshoot.

@Hotshot - good to know.

Steve Elliott(Posted 2016) [#29]
The problem might be some Microsoft shenanigans, forcing me to upgrade to Windows 10...Their nagging to upgrade gets more and more forceful ;)

I'm beginning to think about caving, is it really so bad? They're selling it as the best of both worlds - Windows 7 and 8.

Rick Nasher(Posted 2016) [#30]
No major issues so far. If you like 8, you'll probably like 10 better.

Steve Elliott(Posted 2016) [#31]
In a moment of madness (and a couple of beers) decided to upgrade to Windows 10...Fingers crossed for a smooth transition...

stayne(Posted 2016) [#32]
Hindsight is 20/20 unless you are looking at it through beer goggles.

Steve Elliott(Posted 2016) [#33]
Haha...With my OCD tendancies Windows 8.1 never felt comfortable...Lets round that up to 10 ;)

Microsoft seem to be admitting that 7 was good (never tried it) and 8 was flawed. I did find 8.1 very fast and minimal - which I like.

The whole spying thing...Hmm well I bet they have already introduced that to older versions - but have been warned that people are also watching them. I'll take council on reducing any 'unnecessary' updates.

Hotshot2005(Posted 2016) [#34]
Win 7? Very Good !
Win 8? Ugh
Win 10? Some improvement here and there. Okish

Window 10? Turn most things off then you will be fine :-)

Get yourself Computer Active mag as it say Change windows 10 settings Now !

Steve Elliott(Posted 2016) [#35]
ok lol.

Steve Elliott(Posted 2016) [#36]
Having a hell of a time upgrading from Windows 8.1 to 10. Not impressed. It seems Microsoft gave up...Still on 8.1...Worst ever experience upgrading an OS from Microsoft!

I'm lucky to have a working computer, but also luckily I have a little computer knowledge ;)

And yes, take the Christmas Lights down! Well you gotta take it out on somebody! ;)

coffeedotbean(Posted 2016) [#37]
I skipped 8, I have yet to see any downsides to that decision =D

Steve Elliott(Posted 2016) [#38]
My computer came with 8 pre-installed.