The Jacobites turnbased redcoats and scots

Community Forums/Showcase/The Jacobites turnbased redcoats and scots

Mainsworthy(Posted 2015) [#1]
The Jacobites

Make No Mistake this game is not the basic rout nap game, this has assets from the old UI but the game engine is a vast world away.

first of you can move more than one hex , you have move points. you can rally any given hex in the rally phase at a price, there are combat effects that can shake a unit, a shaken unit cannot fight but it can be rallyed. you can fire upto your hex range 2 hexes in all directions, you can fight in a hex and get detailed battle logs for things like misses hits total fire power.

you can select any number of attckers on the bottom left, then select the targets bottom right, this is an amazing feature, each unit in a stack can be targetted sepratly.

Mainsworthy(Posted 2015) [#2]
updated

Mainsworthy(Posted 2015) [#3]
update

Mainsworthy(Posted 2015) [#4]
new fired and moved indicators

Mainsworthy(Posted 2015) [#5]
upddate

Mainsworthy(Posted 2015) [#6]
final update, and there is a Mac version aswell as PC windows

Mainsworthy(Posted 2015) [#7]
added a random setup button

Mainsworthy(Posted 2015) [#8]
Mac & windows versions included

Ive improved how the shaken modifier applying to much, Melee casualties cause shaken now

Mainsworthy(Posted 2015) [#9]
I know its a pain keep updateing but I thought Id finished then I think of something else, I'm sure now this is final

Ive improved the random setups scots at the bottom brits at the top rather than all mixed up

Ive fixed some errors in the buttons allowing to repeat fights in the same hex, now only one fight per hex is possible.

Ive removed the shaken from empty hex slots

stayne(Posted 2015) [#10]
You sure it's final? ;)

Brucey(Posted 2015) [#11]
You realise that you can edit your posts? (allowing you to keep a single link to the latest version in the original post)

Mainsworthy(Posted 2015) [#12]
HeHa Merry Updates , I'm sure its final for now as I don't intend on looking at it again for a while, to the best of My knowkedge it all works fine

Brucey thanks for the pointer, I'm lazy I guess :)

Mainsworthy(Posted 2015) [#13]
another update

sorry for posting another update guys :)

Fielder(Posted 2015) [#14]
maybe time to add a font...

?MacOS
nicefont=LoadImageFont("/System/Library/Fonts/thonburi.ttf",19)
?Win32
nicefont=LoadImageFont(GetEnv_("systemroot")+"\fonts\tahoma.ttf",20)
?Linux
nicefont=LoadImageFont("tahoma.ttf",20)
?

and move it to a windowed game.. and.. maybe change the Copyrite (???) to 2015 date (and next 2016 :p)

Mainsworthy(Posted 2015) [#15]
that's amazing, I did not realise it could be changed thx

Derron(Posted 2015) [#16]
If all the sprites are made by you, I would offer to create some "hex-tile-Backgrounds" for the units - might look better then.

Similar could be done with the "buttons" - just the whole interface could benefit from an overhaul - as your games are very similar, you could reuse that gfx then.

@SetImageFont
There is also the option to use some bitmapfonts (to have drop shadows, highlights...)...

bye
Ron

Mainsworthy(Posted 2015) [#17]
thanks for the advice, I like one set of graphics update applies to all my games :)

Happy Christmas Derron

Derron(Posted 2015) [#18]
Are the sprite GFX done by you or "copied from somewhere" - if it is the latter one, which licence are they?

How many states do the units have (you could have the sprite background represent a given state - eg some portion "grayed out") which are shown to the user?

How is the tile-grid-overlay (the blueish lines) dawn? maybe you could have some grid-overlay having a bit of antialiasing - so it looks as if the black corners fade into the individual tile backgrounds.

bye
Ron

Mainsworthy(Posted 2015) [#19]
I Have been given a link where your allowed to use the sprites if you don't charge.

The units have a shaken ,fired, moved, strength etc... all shown as markers bottom left when selected, I like what your suggesting having the info show on the Map.

Anitialiasing is a great idea thanks Ron

Mainsworthy(Posted 2015) [#20]
updated

This is the basic principal for game control

1) leftclick Hex to select the hex with chit you want to do something with
2) select each chit(bottom left) you want to do something with
3) RIGHT-CLICK the target for movent or attacks
4) If Moving skip this step if attacking then you select each chit (bottom right) as a target of your attack
5) press the command button to Move or shoot or fight - BUT YOU MUST BE IN THE CORRECT COMMAND PHASE.

the phases go from no phase thats the begining of your turn(you will see unit totals), then you click NEXT to progress through the phases, when you reach fight phase you do all fights then press END for the computers turn.

The Most interesting thing in this game is you can select any chit of yours and choose any target chit in a stack , you can do this for each chit or stacks at once,you can attack seperate hex targets from a single stack.

Derron(Posted 2015) [#21]
Just something to consider:

the "black hextiles" could get replaced with "very dark hextiles" (but with some terrain visible) maybe this results in a less "cut out" appearance.

bye
Ron

Mainsworthy(Posted 2015) [#22]
your a professional gut derren that's a good thought, I may experiment with it

Mainsworthy(Posted 2015) [#23]
update

Mainsworthy(Posted 2015) [#24]
updated

stayne(Posted 2015) [#25]
dude people have told you to update the original post download link instead. either way I seriously doubt anyone will bother with it regardless. you are wasting people's time.

RemiD(Posted 2015) [#26]
Will there be a new update soon ? :P

Mainsworthy(Posted 2015) [#27]
updated, sorry but I thought it was a suggestion to edit old posts with new links, I will make this my last update, and hope not to bother any of you.

I'm really just a hard core programmer and details like protocol for posting pass-over me, I'm always in a rush, I'm sorry for any time you've wasted looking at my posts.

Blitzplotter(Posted 2015) [#28]
Mainsworthy, I admire your attention to detail. Merry Christmas 🎄

Mainsworthy(Posted 2015) [#29]
Thankyou Blitzplotter a great Christmas to you too #127875 will be soon :) but #127876 is just one to many :)

Derron(Posted 2015) [#30]

What has been done:
grid on the left has a bit nicer "shades", there is also a sample overlay for an active grid (eg "mouseover").

Bottom shows an "interface"-overlay (control panel) and some units with buttons.

Buttons could get differently colorized ("attack type" and "mouse hover/button down").

There is even no need to create units in a paint programme except a bit scaling.
- there is a background "circle" (with varying shadows)
- you rip out the white background from the units
- scale the units accordingly (in my case: 54px for ground units, 57 for mounted ones - it depends on the "pose")

if you then place all of them in some kind of spritesheet-grid, you are able to draw the "unit-background" (according its state you use the white, orange, red ... one) and on top of it the unit.

The Gui-Buttons could be using nine-patch - or at least dynamic width (you draw the left portion, stretch the center portion and then the right one).

Instead of using TTF-Fonts, you could use BitmapFonts ... so it is easier to achieve the "shadowed/embossed" look (as you then just include that effect in the bitmap font).

Excuse the "left handed" orientation of the figures - I just wanted to have a quick mockup :-)

Interested?

PS: Your most left grid-background has thinner borders than the rest (1px vs 2px). Also your hextile seems a bit wider than the "mathematical" one - so the circular-unit-background does not connect to all "borders".

PPS: seems you are drawing the units in the tile-draw-loop. So tiles at a higher Y-value (a bit more down than the units) cover portions of the unit-images. You better draw it kind of "layered":
- [optional if ground tile contains elements reaching out of its grid ]border-tiles (the "border")
- ground tiles
- units
- decoration (eg. some flying birds or shadows of clouds .. or rain)

bye
Ron

MikeHart(Posted 2015) [#31]
Great job and i admire passion about these games. Definitely something to look up too Merry christmas

Mainsworthy(Posted 2015) [#32]
Derren I get your point the game could look much better if I applied some of your advise , and I know some things I will have to think about because the programing uses the boxes bottom left, but your idea is clear make the game look good. I have to say when I saw your mockup I wished the game looked like that

Merry Christmas Derren & MikeHart

Mainsworthy(Posted 2015) [#33]
after Your impressive hard work on the mockup, I have considered all, and have come to this conclusion.

First, the chits have to remain square without bleeding over the edges, this is because the chits on the hexgrid are made of stacks that are also offset by a couple of pixels to show the place in the stack.

the bottom left chits have no room to expand beyond its size the area is already bursting. and the chits have to be selected. you could in theory use the same colour as the backdrop to look like the chits are going beyond the edges, but the chits are already to small 50x50 pixels and they would loose detail.

the chits could be created to give a pleasing background, but it would be static, unless I really worked on the code, but I would rather work on whats available rather that risk breaking good code.

Your art looks amazing but it dependant on big code changes, If I had started the game with the look in-mind I could of achieved some of what you suggested, One thing you have shown me is I have to forward plan when designing the interface.

If the game is to look better it would have to be an improvement on what graphics are already there. The code relies on pixel zones so size has to remain the same.

Thankyou Ron for a Christmas treat of your mockup

Derron(Posted 2015) [#34]
I did not offer to just create a mockup.. if you were interested, I would have provided all thr necessary graphics.

Regarding thr rectangle to be able to represent a "pile of units": it does not matter how the gfx looks...you will need about 2px on x or y to represent 1 hidden unit. another approach is to show a pile up to 3 units big...and no more.

Else there is no reason ...except avoiding code changes or another favor regarding art.

Nonetheless...maybe you could come back to me for the next game...

...which might use some scaling to allow for unscaled units on bigger screens.

Btw...room for expandation: play with stacks and mouse over reactions...and arrows...just have a look how similar games handle it.

And yes..you should improve your games with each new game. Else you could come up with mission packs.

Bye
Ron

Mainsworthy(Posted 2015) [#35]
Ron I'm flabbergasted that you was offering to update the program for real, but the sad fact is I'm unemployed and I program for a hobby - so if you was suggesting a financial arrangement it would be impossible :(

I cant expect you to do it for free, but if that's your actual offer I'm jumping for joy. I'm sorry I'm not professional at this sort of thing.

the thing about the program it has its niggles code wise , I could stack the hex all ontop if each other If I had to, but they still would all bleed over each other if stacked chits go over the edges, so I'm inclined to leave as they are.

My plan is to leave the code more or less as is, but I'm looking at another program to go with this to set all the values for firepower strength etc...

If you look at the UI can you see there is not enough room to expand into great looking tiles, the buttons and background are begging for an update .

Ron you've cheered me up thinking about this thanks.

Derron(Posted 2015) [#36]
I was/ am indeed offering it for free...

If you draw all backgrounds in a step...and then all units...only the unit gfx might overlap each other.

Regarding room to expand: my gfx is a pure replacement of what I saw on the screenshot...so it does _not_ occupy more space.
So all ideas to avoid running out of space also apply to your current gfx.
So for unit piles/stacks: show up to 3 and present small number in the corner.

@unemployed
Best luck for next year (if you want that)

I will try to find some minutes of time the next days...providing some stuff then.

PS: regarding scaling down the unit images: I scaled them a bit smaller than yours...but not much.

-what kind of button colors do you like to have
-grid tile border colors!
-unit border colors?
instead of colors you could also "name" things (normal, hovered, active, disabled, dead...)

If you use a revision system (git...) you could come back to older variants of your code...so code evolution is no problem (eg replacing inlined unit draw handling to a specific draw()-method for easier extendability).

Bye
Ron

Mainsworthy(Posted 2015) [#37]
WoW! Christmas indeed thanks Ron.

I did not like admitting it but I cant guarantee which chits will appear at the top, the niggle is it could be an empty chit slot, I know it sounds easy but its a niggle I cant get right, the program works fine if I display all chits.

the bottom rows of chits are in a line of 8 that's why your graphics look to big to fit eight chits side by side

I will look at the display routeens now, but I don't like changing it, but it sounds likely I can just check what state the chits in and draw the corresponding background. it sounds like a good idea I suppose.

the state a chit can be in is 1)moved 2)fired 3)shaken also all 3 depends on what side your on too. also the game has to show fired and Moved and shaken, I don't know how you would do all 3 with backgrounds, at the moment I have shaken graphic ontop of the chits and 2 bars below the chit showing no more movement and fired

Your ideas for colour would be more dependable than my retro failures, I like wood gradual going from dark to light gradiant.

the buttons would look nice like wood too

all the chits are individual and don't need to be in the same chits as I have done, I can set all values for the chits later, the only chits used are the numbered chits included missing numbers are not used.

I think a forest theme would be great perhaps leaves at the edges

Maybe One background colour per side with a word ontop of the bottom left chits like you say? the words cannot be version of the same chit, it would have to be a word png but again there are 3 individual states

all graphics in the program are transparent PNGs

Mainsworthy(Posted 2015) [#38]
Ron Ive had a great idea Leaf For Movement ontop of the chit, and a twig ontop for Fired ,shaken I don't know maybe a Log

Mainsworthy(Posted 2015) [#39]
the buttons have to be the same size

Derron(Posted 2015) [#40]
I am not really understanding what you described in your two last posts.

- leaf/log.. because you assume logs to shake?
-eight units on each side... judging your screenshot, you are not able to display eight of them too...even without "border" you will run out of space with 8 mounted units.

Like said...using another gfx does not really change the occupied space...exception might be 1px per stack entry.

@ multiple states
You have the border for adjustment...the background...the unit gfx and potential symbols. So dead ones could desaturate/gray out...or get a red cross ("striked") on them. Fired could get a red bullet mark. I do not know what you understand as "shaken".

@wooden
bright wood wont work well with bright unit backgrounds... also I tried to create something reusable regardless of the theme in your current game... something like a generic board game graphic. I would suggest to first discuss some things...then get some gfx from me...then proper include it in the game...and if then still needed..replace some of them with more approbiate ones.

@guarantee at top chits
There is no need.
At first you iterate over every tile...draw the tile background and the borders.
If doing no more things...you end up with an empty playground of tiles.
But you now draw all units ...
This results in the impossibility of ground tiles getting rendered over the units / "chits" (do nit know that word.

Bye
Ron

Mainsworthy(Posted 2015) [#41]
Yes I could draw all units ontop of each other as long as the sprite dosnt go beyond its background, I have a maroon edge graphic to show stacks or single units on the hexgrid, what Ive been wondering about is your cant go beyond the background of the unit without mixing with the underlying units. Like I say I have to display all units in a hex

I indeed have 8 units side by side on the bottom left and right of the UI, that's why Ive been wondering about the space for your unit sprites.

I can see what you mean about generic graphics.

Mainsworthy(Posted 2015) [#42]
If you don't mind Ron, Ive concluded I really am better with my own work rather than sharing it, I'm in a tiz from all this , I appreciate your help but I think I rather don't want the problems to collaborating

final version

Derron(Posted 2015) [#43]
Just compared it...you can have more units because you even scaled them smaller than I did (wondering why you "blamed" my scaling then ;-) ).

No problem if you want to do things on your own... feel free to come back to my offer. Your decision isn't the worst... think you have (still) much to learn ... eg reorganizing/extending existing code. Your current code seems to do what it should, but might be not that optimized/futureproof. There might be no need for it...but if..you will need to make your hands dirty.

Have a nice Christmas...and dont worry.

Bye
Ron

Blitzplotter(Posted 2015) [#44]
@Mainsworthy, I posted the #smilyface thing from my phone, whoops and a wry grin at your dig at how the preceding hash number might've been achieveable.

Also, I'd like to share that I hope your employment status changes for something you desire to do soon, as someone who enjoyed coding in Blitz3D during 2 protracted periods of unemployment I empathize ;)

I reallky love the look of your gameplay via the UI you've developed and will try it before the year is out;) One final thing, its nice to see the Jacobites get a mention as an 'ex-pat' Scottish person ;)