EXODUS - A New Age Dawns

Community Forums/Showcase/EXODUS - A New Age Dawns

Volturna(Posted 2015) [#1]
Hi everyone,

Just want to drop here some work i've done from long time. it is the only game project i'm working and probably the last.

Some images can be found here: http://hexodusdev.blogspot.pt/p/blog-page.html

Hope you enjoy it. I'm currently working on combat system (damage, bonus, armor...) so no much gallery update for the next month.

MikeHart(Posted 2015) [#2]
I love scifi games. Looks promising.

Blitzplotter(Posted 2016) [#3]
Agreed with MikeHart, does look pretty promising ;)

Volturna(Posted 2016) [#4]
Thank you!

I'm still working on it but not much to show for now. I paused the combat system for a while and completed ship movement. Now I'm doing asteroid drilling to gather recourses.

Volturna(Posted 2016) [#5]
Weapons System almost done... testing some missiles agains asteroids:

Note: a text is printed over impact point with total ammount of damage applied (when printscreeen was taken that text already vanished).

There are 3 categories of weapons with subcategories:

Warheads
- Torpedos;
- Missiles;
- Rockets;
- Bombs;
- Mines;

Optics (dont know what to call at this)
- Rays;
- Beams;
- Beacons;

Rail
- no subcategory

And 5 kind of damage types:

- Normal;
- Plasma;
- Ion;
- Laser;
- Proton.

Each combination of weapon-type with damage-type will result in a unique damage that is also affected by the target type (Hull, Shield, System...)

BlitzSupport(Posted 2016) [#6]
Nice trails!

Volturna(Posted 2016) [#7]
Thank you... i let an option in game to change warheads trail detail. With that detail can fire up to 100 missiles losing 10-15fps in a normal laptop.

Above i'm testing some decals with alpha, my greatest fear in Blitz3D, because at some point i fear those decals will overlap with other alpha effects (like warheads trails e laser rays)...

i really hope Hardwired/hybrid fix that Blitz3D issue!

Bobysait(Posted 2016) [#8]

i really hope Hardwired/hybrid fix that Blitz3D issue!

That's not a Blitz3D issue it's a "3D" issue.
There is no legal way to compare depth with an alpha component, so they are generally compared by surface depth then added layers by layers.
It means that come complex alpha geometry that are crossing each others will fail to sort the depth.

Actually I only know one engine that is capable to sort complex alpha geometries, and I suppose it occurs on a geometry shader instead of standard rendering.
So ... I really don't think HardWired will fix that.
If it does, I think Ploppy will have to have a great talk with me :)

OldNESJunkie(Posted 2016) [#9]
Thundercats, HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Volturna(Posted 2016) [#10]
Some minor update to Decal Mode:

It took me a while to complete this (due to professionals commitments), but there is also plenty of options avaliable:

- add banners, logos, strips, editable text...
- color and transparency selection;
- some filters avaliable to simulate paint aging;

RemiD(Posted 2016) [#11]
nice paintings/tags :)

RemiD(Posted 2016) [#12]
if you want to remove the blurred effect on the texels, maybe try to disable bilinear filtering ? See : http://rd-stuff.fr/disable-bilinear-filtering-of-textures-201509131549.zip

Volturna(Posted 2016) [#13]
Thanks for the file RemiD. I've try it but all gets too pixelated. In a close up camera it looks fine, but as soon i zoom out the effect is not so nice.

Volturna(Posted 2016) [#14]
Some asteroids randomly generated in game:

Does anyone knows a fast way to create a texture from one asteroid and then render it as a sprite?

Take this exemple: the player is getting away from one specific asteroid and that object gets 'converted' to a sprite in the way its facing camera.

RemiD(Posted 2016) [#15]

Does anyone knows a fast way to create a texture from one asteroid and then render it as a sprite?

One way would be to have one quad/rectangle mesh with one texture (with only a few texels in width,height because it is far away so no need to capture small details) for each asteroid and only update the texture when the position of your ship has changed significantly and the asteroid is still in the field of view.

Another way would be to have one "far away things box" mesh with one texture (like a "skybox"), for all far away things in the background, and only update the texture of a face of the box when the position of your ship has changed significantly and the face is still in the field of view.

You can use deltayaw and deltapitch to calculate if the asteroid is viewed from a different angle this frame than the last capture.
You can use entityinview for each point at the extremities and at the center of the face of the quad/rectangle mesh to determine if the quad/rectangle mesh is in the fov or not and need to be updated or not.

To capture pixels precisely so that they correspond to texels on a quad/rectangle mesh and also set uv appropriately, take a look at this : http://www.blitzbasic.com/codearcs/codearcs.php?code=3256

Matty(Posted 2016) [#16]
If it is far enough away....simply have some prerendered asteroid sprites you can use as imposters. No one will notice the details are different.

Volturna(Posted 2016) [#17]
Another way would be to have one "far away things box" mesh with one texture (like a "skybox")

It's a very smart idea but i think it could work better with planets (far far away), since there will be way less planets than asteroids.

simply have some prerendered asteroid sprites you can use as imposters

I've tried that but it only works fine when the object is considerably far away.

At close range it only looks fine when the asteroid has similar X Y Z sizes. If the generated asteroid has the shape of a banana, transition from mesh to sprite will be noticed.

Folowing that though i subdivided the process in 3 phases

1 - high detailed asteroid mesh
2 - low detailed asteroid mesh
3 - sprite

Since 'Low mesh' is generated from 'High mesh' shape keeps the same, so no banana problems. I also applied a smooth transition between phases so i can barely notice it.

Volturna(Posted 2016) [#18]
Currently creating navigation menus and map system

Also add a Hyperspace Tunnel to travel fast to a known destination

Next step will be to create planets. Any piece of advice? Only working with sprites will be nice but when i travel from above sprite (it is always pointing at camera) a strange rotation occurs.

Blitzplotter(Posted 2016) [#19]
Truly great looking work ;)

Volturna(Posted 2016) [#20]
Thank you Blitzplotter,

I'm now creating planets/moons and trying to find the best way to do it. There will be no way to travel with the ship to the surface of planets/moons, but there will be missions related with planets/moons... thinking of short text adventures but not sure yet.

So far i've created a huge sprite (3000x3000px) that represents the planet/moon and it has a very nice looking and was pretty fast to create

When i travel arround the planet (arround Y axis) i can notice it is always facing the camera, but since a complete orbit takes some time that effect its not so bad.

My main problem its when i do an orbit arround X and Z axis. When camera its aligning with Y axis the sprites does a 180º roll in just a few seconds.

Anyone knows how to prevent that?