Object Space Normal Mapping Demo

Community Forums/Showcase/Object Space Normal Mapping Demo

RustyKristi(Posted 2015) [#1]
Hey guys,

So moving on with my previous topic/question here, I got to tweak with an old normal mapping demo with a different model (stanford bunny, 1k tris), baked from the high resolution version (~69k tris) and got expected results. :-)

The essential steps were unwrapping and having UV with both reference and working (target) model, aligned with same size and position. Both UVs were unwrapped in Blender btw. (Edit: I think you don't need this for the high poly version, but just to make sure.)

It looks like there are two types of normal maps, Object Space and Tangent Space with the Object Space as less used today (or obsolete afaik) but it is simple, it works with Blitz3D and got to do with my small demo here:

Download Demo v1.0

I remember asking this type of normal map before somewhere in a Blender or Gamedev 3D forum, and they have no idea what it is! XD

If anyone is interested, I will upload the full sources soon. It's nothing much and I got it from some russian or spanish blitz forum, did a lot of testing and kept it for a some time so I forgot where it originated. I know there's something similar here in the forum or archives.

Something like:

TextureBlend tex,4 ;dot3 blend
EntityTexture model,tex
r# = (EntityX(piv) + 1) * 128
g# = (EntityZ(piv) + 1) * 128
b# = (EntityY(piv) + 1) * 128

EntityColor model,r#,g#,b#

There's still some small alignment issues that I messed up with the sphere pivot and the fake light pivot that is why it looks weird on some angles. I still got to find the Tangent Space routine buried somewhere here.

Thanks again to Rick Nasher for finding that awesome NVidia Melody Normal mapping software. You rock Rick! :D

Now to figure out how to blend this with Diffuse Map and use it on multiple objects at the same time.. :P

Rick Nasher(Posted 2015) [#2]
You might want to check out the Texture Extreme demo code (media included).

It's looking pretty good. Credits go to Jan Kuhnert from www.blitzforum.be and the well known Psionic for the model(as it says on the box ;-).

RustyKristi(Posted 2015) [#3]
Thanks Rick. I did get to see that demo before, just my bookmarks are all over the place now. will check it out

Rick Nasher(Posted 2015) [#4]
Hehehe, I know what you mean. Things can get really out of hand, almost thought I lost this marvelous demonstration.

RustyKristi(Posted 2015) [#5]
Hehehe, I know what you mean. Things can get really out of hand, almost thought I lost this marvelous demonstration.

Ahaha yes, I hate it when a really great bookmark or piece of info gets buried in your bookmarks. XD