a quick journey

Community Forums/Showcase/a quick journey

AdamStrange(Posted 2015) [#1]
Further to the dungeon mapping. I have been working on how to get completely procedural towns. here are the current results:
Starting from the first room. we find we are inside and moving north come to an open area:

Moving east we come to another open area bordered by a 2 story building – the empty space one the wall mean it must be a shop of some sort, but looks closed? There are 2 drains here and a cobbled area with grass in the middle

Moving West we come to another open paved area with a single story building made from rouble walls. and further along we find a 2 story house with waving flag and canopy. looks like there is a small drain here too! You can also see that there are different roof tiles being used for the single and double story buildings!

This is just a quick view. The system can generate very large world or just a few houses instantly.
Also note, that all the actual dressing is missing, this is just a quick look at the actual mapping

The system overheads are also very slight with (so far) a stable 20% CPU being used. The alpha fading of building/area edges is working perfectly too

RemiD(Posted 2015) [#2]
This looks good.

Now, to give a purpose to each room/area and its furnitures/machines/things and to the bots, so that it is coherent enough, that's the challenge.

I notice that your doors go through walls when they are open (i have the same issue and one approach i have found is to not care about little details like that ! Especially when you notice the same thing in some high costs games)

AdamStrange(Posted 2015) [#3]
Now, to give a purpose to each room/area and its furnitures/machines/things and to the bots, so that it is coherent enough, that's the challenge.

Yep. I know what I want, but the fact that it is all procedural makes it harder to work out things. So you need to have a good grasp of buildings (or the building you want).

One thing I've found:
Don't try to replicate reality!
Game aren't real, so just give a flavour. Also you aren't going to create a AAA looking game, so play to your strengths.

Why0Why(Posted 2015) [#4]
I love the look. I am a big fan of procedural. That is what I work on mostly.

AdamStrange(Posted 2015) [#5]
Water and vegetation around buildings now added. all procedural

When in the water there are depths, so don't get too wet!

AdamStrange(Posted 2015) [#6]
No pics, but information this time:

* I've been tinkering with the 'popup'. when indoors a whole room will appear at once. but outdoors you will need to explore

* when you step out of a room (into the open) the walls appear, but the interior room details are no longer seen. This occurs the other way, so if you are outside and go inside - the outside can no longer be seen!

* interiors are being created. these are all be procedural and allow for many different variants/types (well into the 1,000's)

* Each complete map can be thought as a settlement. so it could be a village, town, etc

* Each settlement now has details governing what sort of settlement it is (farming, artisans -making stuff, market), what sort of income it is (poor, rich, etc), religion

* each settlement is made from houses, and houses from rooms. houses can be on 2 floors. if a room has a room above, then a ghosted set of room beams show at the side of the room. exterior wise - much the same

* each house and rooms in a house is given a proper designation. So if it is a poor farming settlement with no trading, then the houses will be cheap and nasty and more crowded. Also poor settlements are more likely to have religion?

* interior and exterior decors and details are governed by the house type, room type, etc

You may ask why go into so much detail?
1. it makes for a more interesting visual journey
2. different settlements can look and behave very differently
3. what type of settlement decides what sort of resources are available and what sort of quests the locals might be interested in
4. most rogue like building logic is virtually non-existent. this way we start with a settlement, grow the outdoors, decide the looks and then go underground for more. The underground should reference the above ground. it should feel like one whole where everything is related to everything else...
E.G.
if you have some deep water, and drains - any lower floors would have some engagement with these - sewers? flooded areas?