And here is an animation of the Beast:

Panno(Posted 2015) [#2]
Looks ace , like the idea

Hardcoal(Posted 2015) [#3]
Your soo Strange Adam..

AdamStrange(Posted 2015) [#4]
Your soo Strange Adam..
hehehehehe
That's what my niece and nephew said when testing a game idea about a mad scientist who was in love with a hat stand!

Blitzplotter(Posted 2015) [#5]
Crazy looking game - in a good way ;)

Hardcoal(Posted 2015) [#6]
I love it.. :)

Ploppy(Posted 2015) [#7]
Lookin' good, love the character you're able to portray in the animation all the time keeping the overall gfx style simple. Can't be an easy one to pull off ( would be impossible for me).

AdamStrange(Posted 2015) [#8]
in itself - the animation is very simple, but (there's always a bit)... It took 2 years on/off programming to get write the 3d editor and get it into a rock-solid state. This was more difficult than it sounds as there is the shader code to develop, the 3d code both open gl and software rendering for the displays, the control system, gui, etc.

In saying all of that - I have learn't a great deal about 3d, models, etc and how I wanted to work. Adding the voxel tools just made everything simpler to do.

the 'beast' above is 3 separate models:
* the lower jaw
* the head
* the teeth - these were duplicated and merged into the other two

both the head and now (now including teeth) we added to a group model
the head then had 2 separate animations added:
* x rotation from a sawtooth (think backwards, then reverse) to give the left/right wobble
* y rotation from a sawtooth to open and shut the mouth

The animation is then all saved when you save the group - the separate models are saved (within the group) keeping their links, so if something else uses these models - only one is loaded

The animations are all timed - there is no timeline:
so each time the models is rendered (regardless of when it was last rendered) the animation will always be in time! Currently rendering the same model multiple times uses the same core time, so all animations are the same (if you get what I mean?)

None of it is perfect - but it allows for great freedom

Ian Thompson(Posted 2015) [#9]
So each animation has its own internal frame delay counter or is it a pausable timer?

AdamStrange(Posted 2015) [#10]
currently animation is either on or off, but you could do this per model object if you wanted.

For it to be really proper, it would be a good idea to have an entity system which keeps track animation states for each entity - then you could just link a model to the unity - I think this is how blitz3d does it?

AdamStrange(Posted 2015) [#11]
Small update... Note the transparency

People like to collect things, so I've (currently) added death collection cards. These are fully animated and also appear with 3d movement.
My thoughts are: collect 6 of a kind and you will get a special reward - a section of the map will be playable from the start.

There are 8 separate map sections with only the endless section available at the start.

This card (Beachy head) is awarded for falling off the edge
Other cards are:
glubs revenge
frying tonight
unsprung hero

John G(Posted 2015) [#12]
Yellow Beast reminds me of upcoming Dental appt. Ugh...

Steve Elliott(Posted 2015) [#13]
lol mad and cool stuff as always Adam :)

Steve Elliott(Posted 2015) [#14]

Rick Nasher(Posted 2015) [#15]
Same here John, don't remind me. Style is great.

AdamStrange(Posted 2015) [#16]
All the elements are falling into place.

The previous block looking game (which the niece and nephew loved) had internal issues with 2d display in 3d and "pages" both I have now sorted. it's a long learning process

AdamStrange(Posted 2015) [#17]
Thought I'd share this pic with you to show the dev process:

ok, so what we have here is the game running in the background and the options screen. The grid is what I am using as a guide for positioning elements and also for tracking the mouse

The mouse tracking is in pixels, the positioning is in -1 to +1!

Elements light up when you are over them, the speaker (sound) fades as you turn it down and a red x appears when off (and the music is disabled)

The last thing to mention is all of this is resolution and ratio independent. It all works if the the screen size is 200x1500 or 1500x1000 etc.

I suppose the last thing is the total lack of words - I tried to boil it all down to non words if possible to simplify it!

AdamStrange(Posted 2015) [#18]
More dev stuff

This time without the grid showing, and the joystick added.

The joystick actually moves when you hover over the arrows, so right tilts the joystick right - it's a small item, but looks great (I think)

The right button is highlighted - when clicked, the (right text is the right arrow) right is removed and the next keypress is the chosen binding - the key itself pulses red/blue to show that it wants attention!

Grisu(Posted 2015) [#19]
Like the art style very much!

AdamStrange(Posted 2015) [#20]
Thanks - Everything is a 3d model! but the 2d overlay doesn't have depth.

Here's the finished options:

Wiebo(Posted 2015) [#21]
Haha, that looks like fun to play with... Succes!

AdamStrange(Posted 2015) [#22]
Here's the dev of the cards to collect. I tried rotating the cards, but this seems the best so far:

AdamStrange(Posted 2015) [#23]
and (as it changes):

Here you can see the grid being used to place everything correctly.

It also shows a train of thought about how the cards might be used...

Steve Elliott(Posted 2015) [#24]
Looking forward to any game you bring out mate :)

It's bound to be mad - but fun lol.

Gabriel(Posted 2015) [#25]
I'd have to agree with Steve. This looks great. And utterly insane. Which is great!

AdamStrange(Posted 2015) [#26]
:) Kind words. the proof will be in the operation?

ok, next pic:

currently it isn't obvious what you do (I'm working on that)

So as you play the game you get cards - which are displayed at the top (there are only 4 card so far, there will be lots more). Cards are awarded in some death situations, bonus cards, etc.

Shown are the 4 cards. 2 you have not collected, so they are greyed out (but you know they are there), 1 is 'glubs revenge' and the other 'unsprung hero' (you have collected 3 of these - hence the 2 greyed cards and the number 3 underneath)

The 2 big red cards at the bottom are the cards you are playing (the red being the back of the cards) - this sounds really complicated when it's written down?

to play a card, click the red card and then the card you want to play.
to not play a card (remove it), just click the played card...

so what are played cards?
* let's take 'glubs revenge' this card is awarded when you drown.
* if you are playing 'glubs revenge', when you next drown - you won't, and the card has been played!

Are you with me??

AdamStrange(Posted 2015) [#27]
Here's the animated cards

AdamStrange(Posted 2015) [#28]
Just been working on some text FX:

bulging rotating text - with alpha