Rameses 1.33 download

Community Forums/Showcase/Rameses 1.33 download

AdamStrange(Posted 2015) [#1]
Here is the OSX link for version 1.33
http://visualjockey.com/demos/Rameses.app.zip

You will need to go into system preferences/security & privacy to allow it to run - there is no malware included!

quick tutorial:
top row icons are the main logical controls. the first 6 are the main tabs:
load/save/object/list/animation/texture

the weird nobly looking things next to the views are infinite scroll controls. click and drag to see what they do!

1. task play with the ui, get a feel for it and how the move/rotate/selection 2d/3d view operate

2. check the bottom status bar - it is your only help system and will give you details about whatever control the mouse is over - there are no popup tooltips - evil things - lol
infact there are no popup windows of any sort!

3. create a new object = object editor/create/blue icons
- 1st row are tabs: primitive objects/custom objects/grid objects (not complete), cloud (not complete) bones voxels/ extras
- create: primitive, square/ solid object - then create this should create a multi-coloured box (of some sort)

4. select vertexes (highlighted as yellow box) <V>
- select a view, click drag over the vertex and release! (rubber band)
- do the same with no vertex selected (unselect)
- do the same over one vertex, then again over another vertex (logical add)
- do the same with <shift> pressed (add)
- do the same with <ctrl> pressed (remove)
- select half of the vertexes, rubber band the whole object and watch the selections change (what is unselected is selected, and vica versa - logical selection)

5 - select faces <F>
- click face on top toolbar (3rd yellow icon)
- repeat steps for vertexes and view how the selection differs
- unselect faces, now use the 3d view to select faces - use <shift> and <ctrl> to help you - NOTE it's not perfect

6 - rbg color selections
- use the vertex select and select all
- press 'Assign" button. default color is red, all selected vertexes are now red
- select a new color using the color hue, or color sliders and assign
- the color sliders are: red/ green/ blue/ lightness / saturation/ alpha
- there are two lower sliders: tint and modify (covered next)
- play with vertex selections and colors - it's all very fluid (I hope?)

7 - modifying colors
- select green and colour all vertexes
- select just the bottom vertexes
- use the modify slider and set it to -20 (any slider the mouse is over can be controlled with the keyboard cursor keys as well)
- press the modify button (next to the slider) and watch the 3d view
- press modify again - see what happens
- continue to press and watch
- set modify to 15 and press - you got it now?

8 - tinting
- select green, select bottom vertexes, darken bottom vertexes
- select red
- select all vertexes <ctrl + a> will select all
- set the alpha tint slider to about a quarter alpha - you should be able to see a slight reddish block pattern though the tint button?
- press tint - the red cube should now have a red tint
- use this for modifying existing colors

9 - move, scale, rotate <m> <s> <r>
- select all vertexes
- press <m> or select the move tool - the 2d and 3d views should show the axis grabbers centered on the selected vertexes?
- front view, using mouse hover over the grabbers and watch them change - watch the views 2d and 3d
- when a single grabber is highlighted you can only operate in that direction - play and see
- when bot are highlighted then you can move in both dimensions
- the 3d view also is live - try it (make sure the arrow to the left of the 3d view is selected)
- rotating can use the cursor keys. select a 2d view, press <left/right>, <shift> and <CMD> keys constrain the movement :)

I can write more later about the list and how objects relate, texturing, etc?

I'm very open to feedback on how you find the UI, was it simple, obvious, etc. The UI is custom and does some thing differently, but let me know your thoughts :) ?

Rick Nasher(Posted 2015) [#2]
Only OSX? :'(

markcw(Posted 2015) [#3]
Thanks! I'll check this out soon. :)

OldNESJunkie: Hope you release a Win version of this as well someday...one can dream :^)

AdamStrange: Do you know I can't get max to compile correctly on windows - the moment i can then I will look and see about it.

AdamStrange(Posted 2015) [#4]
if anyone can help with getting a windows blitzmax to compile on vmware OS X then i'm up for a conversion

here are the errors I get:
Linking:Mfolder.debug.mt.exe
C:/BlitzMax/mod/pub.mod/stdc.mod/stdc.debug.mt.win32.x86.a(stdc.c.debug.mt.win32.x86.o):stdc.c:(.text+0x3a9): undefined reference to `__mingw__wopendir'
C:/BlitzMax/mod/pub.mod/stdc.mod/stdc.debug.mt.win32.x86.a(stdc.c.debug.mt.win32.x86.o):stdc.c:(.text+0x3c4): undefined reference to `__mingw_opendir'
C:/BlitzMax/mod/pub.mod/stdc.mod/stdc.debug.mt.win32.x86.a(stdc.c.debug.mt.win32.x86.o):stdc.c:(.text+0x3e6): undefined reference to `__mingw__wclosedir'
C:/BlitzMax/mod/pub.mod/stdc.mod/stdc.debug.mt.win32.x86.a(stdc.c.debug.mt.win32.x86.o):stdc.c:(.text+0x3f9): undefined reference to `__mingw_closedir'
C:/BlitzMax/mod/pub.mod/stdc.mod/stdc.debug.mt.win32.x86.a(stdc.c.debug.mt.win32.x86.o):stdc.c:(.text+0x41b): undefined reference to `__mingw__wreaddir'
C:/BlitzMax/mod/pub.mod/stdc.mod/stdc.debug.mt.win32.x86.a(stdc.c.debug.mt.win32.x86.o):stdc.c:(.text+0x44c): undefined reference to `__mingw_readdir'
Build Error: Failed to link Z:/Documents/Blitz/medusa/source/Mfolder.debug.mt.exe
Process complete

Brucey(Posted 2015) [#5]
You probably want to use an older/different version of MinGW.

TDM 4.5.x I believe, works okay for a vanilla 1.50 BlitzMax. (remember to update the files in BlitzMax/bin and BlitzMax/lib to match the version of MinGW you install)

AdamStrange(Posted 2015) [#6]
@Brucy ARRRGGGG!

Now I'm starting to remember why i ditched windows...
Sorta compiling now, need to deal with windows vs OS X differences in code

AdamStrange(Posted 2015) [#7]
I've got a compile!

shader errors, redraw errors, no cursors, nasty font - but fully operational on Windows 7!

Brucey(Posted 2015) [#8]
Could some of that be down to vmware?

I use Parallels, which I generally find works well.

AdamStrange(Posted 2015) [#9]
Brucey = thanks for that :)
I'll sort out the issues one by one - The internal design was never meant for windows, so there are all sorts of little OS X bits that need fixing - file locations, opengl support issues, etc.

The one thing that is really impressive is my backend GUI works flawlessly on both platforms :)

AdamStrange(Posted 2015) [#10]
OK, got an interesting windows problem:

Max2d!

Any references to it seem to not be initialised correctly.
E.G.
SetBlend( ALPHABLEND )

causes a runtime error
on investigation into max2d it seems that gc has not been initialised, nor _max2dDriver !!
I'm not sure what's going on, but on OS X it's all fine, on windows - Nada

markcw(Posted 2015) [#11]
I'll throw in my 2 cents in here and suggest you try calling at init:

SetGraphicsDriver GLMax2DDriver()

as in Windows it defaults to DirectX.

AdamStrange(Posted 2015) [#12]
Yep - i'm trying to find the best place to have it first - somewhere deep in the files a suppose.

I didn't know that windows defaults to DirectX, but it makes sense... One step forward, and two back?

OldNESJunkie(Posted 2015) [#13]
I didn't know that windows defaults to DirectX, but it makes sense... One step forward, and two back?

Yep, pretty much how it works usually......

markcw(Posted 2015) [#14]
Just testing and noticed an issue in 1.33 that doesn't appear in 1.09. In the 3d view there is some black 'noise' on the model.

Screen:

AdamStrange(Posted 2015) [#15]
First off - thanks for trying this out :)
next - what is the os and system - just so I have a start :)

i'm gonna ask some odd questions now - hehehe
1. does the 'tree' start off like this?
2. have you loaded a previously saved tree from v1.09
3. have you been playing with textures

markcw(Posted 2015) [#16]
Snow Leopard, Macbook Pro 4.1

1. for a second it's ok, then it changes
2. yes, the 1.09 saved tree also has noise
3. no

AdamStrange(Posted 2015) [#17]
hmm, I know where the error is - it's in the shader
the lowest system I've tested it on mountain lion
Would you be up for some debug testing?

markcw(Posted 2015) [#18]
Sure. I have OpenGL 2.1.

AdamStrange(Posted 2015) [#19]
ok. I'l write a little program for you that will help show me where the issue is :)