Smooth walk cycle plus tool

Community Forums/Showcase/Smooth walk cycle plus tool

AdamStrange(Posted 2015) [#1]

Constructed from 6 separate models using the new Move tool:

Create a model and add it to the models (the top row of 12) - you have 12 models you can add

Using the playhead, position and add the required model at the playhead (or move)

The time is seconds/micro/milli and you can resize the amount of time given for the move.

Clicking loop will smoothly loop the animation. When unchecked the animation will hold the first and last positions.

Models don't have to be the same base mesh, or same vertex count - you can get very weird results morphing and exploding different shapes!

Along the top you can see there are icons for make (skeleton from bones), skin (from models attached to the bones), pose (with bones) and act. Act will allow moves to flow from one to another. lots more work to be done...

The original model was constructed from voxels and collapsed into a true 3d object. this was the duplicated and moved to create the individual frames.

Using voxels to create initial models is now super quick and very flexible

RemiD(Posted 2015) [#2]
Interesting...

So if i understand correctly "act" is similar to vertex animation or to bones animation (joints animation...) ?

But what "move" is supposed to do ?

On my side, when i want to animate a character, the process is :
->"rigging" (create the joints, one root joint and each other joint child of another joint)
->"skinning" (set the influences of some joints over some vertices)
->"animating" (create the different poses (each pose in a different "frame") by rotating positioning scaling the joints appropriately)

This may give you some ideas...

AdamStrange(Posted 2015) [#3]
Move is what you see above - a single animation cycle - walk, run, hit, fall down, pick up, etc - your animating

Move is made from different poses (either bone or model) - your frame

Act is the next stage: taking movement and putting them together.
E.G.
a character when not moving for a while goes into a 'bored' animation and when moving, goes into "walk"
That means we have a standing movement, bored movement, and walk movement

Act takes these three movements and glues them all together (hopefully)

RemiD(Posted 2015) [#4]

Move is made from different poses (either bone or model) - your frame

Act is the next stage: taking movement and putting them together.

Ok, but i find the words you use confusing.
I would have used "Animate" instead of "Move" and "Blend" instead of "Act"...

AdamStrange(Posted 2015) [#5]
Just updated the tool to allow you to resize the timeline length whilst keeping the frame positions acurate. This allows you to speed up/slow down.

I've also added the ability to have a speed setting that will automatically change the speed without modifying the timeline length - this could be used to track actual speed of movement and switch moves/animations

AdamStrange(Posted 2015) [#6]
@ RemiD
I would have used "Animate" instead of "Move" and "Blend" instead of "Act"...

Considered and changed - Good point :)

Here's the changes:

RemiD(Posted 2015) [#7]
This looks clear now :)
So if i understand correctly, an animation is made of several poses ?
With Fragmotion, i can rotate/position/scale the joints as i want, then i capture the pose, then i can choose to create the next pose the next "frame" or to let some empty "frames" between this pose and the next pose. Fragmotion calculates automatically the intermediate poses.
This is useful because i only need to create the important poses and because this allows to create animations which animate as if it is a real animation where some poses need to be "reached" faster/slower than others.

You are very good with custom GUI, respects for that !

AdamStrange(Posted 2015) [#8]
So if i understand correctly, an animation is made of several poses ?

yep (but not yet operational) - I haven't coded any of the posing part - but the core is all there.
I suppose it would be the same as fragmotion because you can work on a pose and a move at the same time. My main thought is for it tone simple an fluid

The Speed at which animation go from one pose to another is up to you, just move the playhead to the new time position and click add and it will move. You don't have to have the poses in any order, they can be mixed up, removed, added where you want :)

If you are using models instead of poses, the models remain completely editable so you can tweak things at vertex level if needed

You are very good with custom GUI, respects for that !

Thanks - I spent a lot of time thinking how could I remove (what I think of as the horrible character list) and replace it with something that instantly gives information.

Hardcoal(Posted 2015) [#9]
Cool