added voxels

Community Forums/Showcase/added voxels

AdamStrange(Posted 2015) [#1]
Just been adding a few more bits and pieces and added voxels:

I don't need to go into more detail about what they are, but the UI has been updated and created voxel start in the current color:

Also the object list has been updated so that the voxel icon shows the actual color the voxel uses:

I've also added a snap function (when moving objects) with different levels of snap so that moving voxels always keeps them in the correct space.

Lastly I wanted to have auto optimisation, so when you merge voxels they become a proper 3d shape removing all internal facing walls

AdamStrange(Posted 2015) [#2]
First peek - I'm really new at this game...

I'm a bit crossy at the results?

I need to write a voxel optimiser that will take constructed voxels and create a true 3d shape from them.
Also doing this would allow for further verses color to be added to simulate faux shadow?

ShadowTurtle(Posted 2015) [#3]
can i do import minecraft worlds? (parts) :-)

AdamStrange(Posted 2015) [#4]
been augmenting the new voxel commands:
Added the ability to add/remove multiple voxels at any time.

Also Rameses full color options are now available (tint, modify existing color, replace color).

There is also logical voxel checking, This check for the existence of a voxel at a position and won't duplicate them. Also making voxels not visible will not change their color, etc.

Here you can see a single 4x4 block of voxels. originally they were pale yellow. each row was darkened, the right side tinted green and the second vertical row coloured green:

lastly two voxels were removed...

Still need to do the object create - but I'm happy with the results so far :)

AdamStrange(Posted 2015) [#5]
Object collapse is now fully operational. This allows you to merge any visible voxels into a true 3d shape.

I have also added vertex occlusion to the algorithm so that it is already taken directly into the model - so no extra shader calculations:

Voxels Before:

Standard object after merging (you can now see the occlusion added)

And another quick one:

I've also allowed the list to hide voxels, as they can become numerous and start to get in the way

markcw(Posted 2015) [#6]
Hi Adam, looks great, as usual! I wonder how you do your voxels, are they just cubes or are they several layers of quads?

AdamStrange(Posted 2015) [#7]
internally they are a single reference x,y,z vertex.
In the 3d view I then construct a cube from triangles (at a fixed size 0.1). 0.1 was chosen as it is the default grid size in my editor.

When collapsed into a 3d models - I remove all internal faces and one use the exterior ones - it does need optimising though

markcw(Posted 2015) [#8]
Thanks. I'm using Openb3d and it's voxels use a layer of quads which are reorganized depending on the camera angle. This style would be ideal for anyone who isn't good at doing art.

AdamStrange(Posted 2015) [#9]
I'm only really using the voxels within the editor itself (I've not bothered with loading and saving as I'm not working with any voxel games systems).

The one thing I've really found is they are great for creating instant meshes that are non standard. E.G. things with holes in them, etc.

I've also added the ability to collapse them down into a flat shape in the front axis - which makes font design very quick