Game With No Name

Community Forums/Showcase/Game With No Name

AdamStrange(Posted 2015) [#1]

Currently you sort of wander around as the landscape gets infected!

There are sheep and chickens, but I'm not saying what they do!

Here is the alpha clouds and depth of field (it's very subtle and dosn't get in the way)

Each island is procedurally generated

I like the idea of crop spraying with the biplane?

Maybe it's Zarch/Virus/sentinel revisited?

Derron(Posted 2015) [#2]
Maybe it's Zarch/Virus/sentinel revisited?

Maybe... maybe...

Maybe you ask the creator of the game you "promote" above :p

I wont judge your "pre-alpha"-screenshots because you then wont read nice words (keyword: blockish)

I Like the plane and the safe :p

bye
Ron

Ploppy(Posted 2015) [#3]
I personally like 'blockish', gives it that minecrafty feel to it. Still, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

AdamStrange(Posted 2015) [#4]
currently it's not really a game. I'm trying to develop how it should operate. Just working on adding the ability to control the plane and flying!

Steve Elliott(Posted 2015) [#5]
I do like the Zarch look, but those clouds look so thick they resemble barrage balloons, rather than clouds :)

AdamStrange(Posted 2015) [#6]
yep - agreed. I've already tweaked them a little so they are more transparent :)

and a closed zoomed shot

The plane is now flyable and banks, turns and dips as you control it.

the bar on the right shows your height (the blue bar) and the ground height (the green bar)

AdamStrange(Posted 2015) [#7]
ok, you can now crash the plane:

and also parachute out at height:

You have some control over the chute, so it would be possible to have you aim for a position?

The plane now splutters oily smoke when accelerating and also allows for crop dusting at slower speeds

Some of the graphic detail was removed so that everything runs smoothly fullscreen :)

Derron(Posted 2015) [#8]
@parachute control
Did you take care of "wind" ? I mean, just "rotation of the parachute" as influence factor of the wind. Negative rotation should increase falling-speed then.

As always: some of your objects seem to have negated face directions (the parachute center seems to be a bit odd ... in the latest screen).

bye
Ron

AdamStrange(Posted 2015) [#9]
As always: some of your objects seem to have negated face directions (the parachute center seems to be a bit odd ... in the latest screen).

I'm gonna take slight exception here. As there are (and have never been) any negated faces in my models - I know. I created them. Some models have weird topology - in the case of the parachute it is a star height field, so it isn't smooth - it's low poly and meant to be faceted.

rant mode dissabled :)

Derron(Posted 2015) [#10]
So the dark area is just "nearly lit" because of an odd "angle-constellation" (regarding light sources) ?

This should explain things.

@"negated faces"
Thought the dwarf hat a similar problem - such things often are created by faces looking in the wrong direction (eg. when joining 3d models within your program)

bye
Ron

Steve Elliott(Posted 2015) [#11]
Give it a rest regards the nit-picking Derron, they're simply work in-progress pictures.

AdamStrange(Posted 2015) [#12]
Thanks Steve

@"negated faces"
Thought the dwarf hat a similar problem - such things often are created by faces looking in the wrong direction (eg. when joining 3d models within your program)

I'm not Stupid here! I know what a Normal is, 3d facing etc.

@ Derron
I wrote the 3d app to support individual triangle vertex colours. This is very different from other packages. I have complete control over triangle colour. Models may look odd because they have multiple colours. Most 3d packages do this on a material basis - I do it at a triangle level!

Derron(Posted 2015) [#13]
I think Adam knows how to take my "nit-picking" and I assume he accepts my way of approaching it.

@Adam
If not, drop a line and I will of course stop giving feedback the way I did before.

Edit: just saw your post above mine
I did not try to say you are stupid ... sometimes we just do not see "obvious" things ... which is why I explained that things might eg. get created by some functions dynamically glueing model data and making mistakes there... don't know why you feel attacked this time.

So the "darker portion" of the parachute is because of the way you modelled it (did not get that thing about "star height field" - assume it is because the center is a pole vertex?) ? If yes, how does this happen if you do not subsurface the model data? If you have a bit of time feel free to elaborate on it - I just do not understand what you tried to explain within these few words.

@colored triangles
So similar to "vertex color" in Blender? Did not think that this is unsupported in so many engines.

Hope you get back to the "dungeon"-style (you know: lava with particle dust...)

bye
Ron

AdamStrange(Posted 2015) [#14]
<not rising to it>
Here's a different approach to the biplane: A gravity ship

Derron(Posted 2015) [#15]
Are the trees based on your clouds? They are "semitransparent".

@spaceship
rescuing ---- or kidnapping creatures from the surface?

Is there a reason why you swapped from the fantasy setting (which allows some kind of darkness, hiding potential flaws/minimalistics in models/gfx)?

bye
Ron

AdamStrange(Posted 2015) [#16]
It's called style Derron!

Some people have it, some people don't have it and some people don't get it.
I can only assume by your posts that you are of the latter?

<Grabs the popcorn>

Derron(Posted 2015) [#17]
Ok, got it.

Will try to ignore your further threads regarding your project/engine/toolset. Hope that satisfies you.

bye
Ron

Cubed Inc.(Posted 2015) [#18]
You'll have to forgive Derron, AdamStrange; he's not so good with expressing criticism, and is very easy to musunderstand. Regardless, he's only trying to see the project from your artistic perspective.

AdamStrange(Posted 2015) [#19]
:)
Some other versions. I think I'm getting it all straight in my head now on how to proceed:
Definitely retro, spans different timezones killing aliens and preventing viral spread?

The main ship now has later firing Too!

Trying to keep some form of connection with the biplane scenario. so the mechanics change with what you are controlling, but in logical constraints

RemiD(Posted 2015) [#20]
Sometimes critics and suggestions can help to identify a major problem/bug... But here, all i see are original shapes and colors and use of transparency, and these are a matter of personal tastes...

@AdamStrange>>One strength that i see in your projects, is that the graphics style in each project is consistent, which is a good thing.

Wiebo(Posted 2015) [#21]
I have no idea what the game is about but it looks interesting, a weird mix of traditional landscapes and high tech abstract forms. I like it, keep it up. Take a good look a the color combinations though, they kinda cancel each other out (green on green , for instance)

AdamStrange(Posted 2015) [#22]
@RemiD
Thanks. I found that the only way to have everything consistent was for them to come from the same source and tools. The initial dungeon had 2d graphics - but they were from the internet and not suitable. Sourcing lowpoly 3d models is also hard, so I had to create the tools to do it.

@Wiebo
Thanks. The colour combination is a good thing to look at (Already changed in some parts). The transparent trees actually reflect and refract their surroundings. Sometimes a straight image doesn't do justice and highlights perceived errors (Derron)

Here is a quick shot of it actually in motion:

You can see I've added an enemy ufo that is using bad gravity to infect the landscape. You can also see that there is very little error checking.

The core idea was for a sort of defender/Zarch/Simulcra mashup?

Steve Elliott(Posted 2015) [#23]

Definitely retro, spans different timezones killing aliens and preventing viral spread?

Yes, you could use elements of the old arcade game - Time Pilot. Start with Biplanes and move to more modern aircraft as you progress the levels.

AdamStrange(Posted 2015) [#24]
Hi Steve, That was one of my thoughts too. Love both TimePilot and TimePilot 84

Cubed Inc.(Posted 2015) [#25]
I personally think it looks stylish. A lot of programmers in this forum who are extremely obsessed with creating impressive graphical displays in Blitz3d have actually never finished a game in their lives; just tech-demos that serve no real purpose outside of filling the website's gallery. They're pretty to look at, and can be helpful to others if released as a source code, but it clouds their minds and makes them forget that the people here are making games, not Pixar films.

What I like about this particular project is that it's making actual progress -- as in, it's turning into somewhat of an actual game with features and things to do. I'd personally much rather download and play this than some life-like simulator with little to no interactivity and runs four frame per second on most peoples' computers.

Wiebo(Posted 2015) [#26]
Time Pilot is brilliant.. I've always wanted to do a remake of that.

Wiebo(Posted 2015) [#27]
Adam: looks cool man. Kinda confusing though!! :)

AdamStrange(Posted 2015) [#28]
OK, the first enemy is the viral ship which deploys virus only on the ground and churns up water (particle based):

viral ships just wander around aimlessly, but only on lower parts of the map - they don't like high ground!

I'm sorta heading towards TimeLands for the game name?

AdamStrange(Posted 2015) [#29]
And here showing some new graphics for the windmill (top panes do slowly rotate)
And also a status map of the current island:

Rick Nasher(Posted 2015) [#30]
Can the terrain cubes also go up down, creating a dynamic terrain experience?

AdamStrange(Posted 2015) [#31]
Yep, Currently you can lower a cube by one using tnt. This allows you to climb up to higher places!

Rick Nasher(Posted 2015) [#32]
Cool!

Steve Elliott(Posted 2015) [#33]
Liking the way this is progressing.

AdamStrange(Posted 2015) [#34]
Just been working on the cropdusting code. it finally works! LOL
So here is you are in the biplane with the cropdusting starting:

and here are some shots of it progressing and killing the virus

You can see the soft particle in action very nicely and also how the cropdusting changes colour, diffusion and snap as the particles age

Fullscreen framerate stil ok

So to recap:
on foot you can't kill the virus, running over specific infected blocks make you infect blocks (plague bonus?). can throw tnt that lowers blocks
in air you can eject and parachute, crop dust. the gravity ship fires lasers (upgrade biplane?)

Xerra(Posted 2015) [#35]
This looks like it's going to be really cool when it's closer to completion. How does the gauge work on the right, I'm curious?

If you can make it like Time Pilot - not a direct clone, obviously, as there's ground elements here too, it will be a belter, I suspect.

Wiebo(Posted 2015) [#36]
nice!

Does it have screenshake?

fyi: I am thinking of making a Time Pilot remake, adding stuff I think would fit in nicely with that game. Don't let this bother you while making this game, it will be totally different!! :)

AdamStrange(Posted 2015) [#37]
screenshake - now that's an interesting thought....

The gauge on the right is a height gauge. The green is the current height of the land, the blue your current height. the number (i supose) could be meters?

The central gauge is your speed. at very low speeds your biplane will stall - although apart from telling you, it doesn't do anything yet.

both gauges only appear when you are flying

Wiebo(Posted 2015) [#38]
I was only kidding with the screen shake remark, as it is all the rage right now with vlambeer promoting it so much in their games.

I like that height indicator.

I don't understand your choice of fonts, though :)

Ploppy(Posted 2015) [#39]
Wow- this is advancing at a good rate. Nice one, looks real good. I'm having zarch nostalgia goosebumps.

AdamStrange(Posted 2015) [#40]
The fonts are limited to custom vector fonts as I haven't found a good quick way of drawing them :/

Just been having fun with particles that are horizontally flat. They are fully supported, but not displaying correctly - the shader code was missing for the mixing - DOH!

Thanks Ploppy - It's definitely some form of tribute. I've also got my eyes on zeewolf and gunship 2000 and simulcra!

AdamStrange(Posted 2015) [#41]
So far, so good. But a game will need to be made and also menus, etc. And finally how to play it (tutorials).

I'm putting my brain to work on the tutorial front and I thought of you start with the tutorials and move to the next level, etc - bit like candy crush map view?

So the first tutorial would be simple: Get to the Rocking Barn! Where you have no time limit, an arrow pointing to where to get to (the rocking barn). Using the current map - you can't get to the barn without using tnt. so that is brilliant - I can add some signs that tell you what to do :)

So, lets have a look at the rocking barn:

All the animations - rotations, scaling etc, is handled automatically from the editor. I just collapsed the separate 3d objects (making the barn) into one and applied a y scale

RemiD(Posted 2015) [#42]
By curiosity, how do you detect collisions between the turning moving entities and the obstacles ? For characters i suppose you could use a collider capsule or several colliders sphere or several linepicks, but for the plane and others vehicles, how do you plan to do it ?

AdamStrange(Posted 2015) [#43]
The simple answer is there isn't any!

Currently, there is no collision checking apart from the landscape. There is no physics system being used, so no colliders, etc.

I have three systems running underneath:
players (monsters/enemies and you) - these check their positions on the map and in relation to each other so there is no collision. I had a complex one written, but simplified it down to a four point 2d check. It's not that simple as map heights (players can have different heights and climb settings too) all need to be taken into the checking systems.

Bullets - this is used for the tnt and also lasers. They can be affected by gravity and need to have map avoidance (bullets can bounce of walls if wanted). Bullets need to check if they have hit something like rise surfaces too. They don't need the uber checking of players.

particles - These ignore players and bullets, but have their own built-in gravity and movement. They are checked against the map as they need to know when to die, if they have hit a wall and need to slide, etc

RemiD(Posted 2015) [#44]
Ok !

Steve Elliott(Posted 2015) [#45]
Ok looking good. Some thought Zarch was too difficult to control. They were wrong - don't dumb that down.

So what's the role of the people? To rescue, Defender style?

RemiD(Posted 2015) [#46]
@AdamStrange>>Can you please explain how you capture and create these animated images ? I would like to create some instead of videos.

Blitzplotter(Posted 2015) [#47]
The rocking barn looks great, I really like the style of your world.

AdamStrange(Posted 2015) [#48]
@RemiD
No Problem - first thing it's all mac based. so I can't help if you are on another os.
You will need two apps: quicktime (already there) and GIF Brewery (from the mac app store)

Capture a window to a mov
1. open quicktime player
2. File > New Screen Recording
3. Press record button on popup
4. Follow instructions
5. To stop recording - press the stop button that has appeared in the top left menu bar
6. save the file

Making a gif
1. open GIF Brewery
2. open your mov files
3. set the in/out point to get rid of the excess at the beginning/end
4. set some gif properties. I set the following:
- Click automatically calculate and delay
- set to 10 frames a second
- Click Reduce numbers of colours in the gif
- set to adaptive pallette

AdamStrange(Posted 2015) [#49]
@Steve Elliott
Yep, I've just created some grabber aliens with moving claw legs that will track and try and grab the men

I've never played zarch myself - I did try to get it working on an emulator, but didn't get too far :(

I know the controls were with the mouse. I don't use a mouse.

Controls are very simple for flight:
left - bank left
right - bank right
up - go faster this will increase your height
down - go slower - this will decrease your height
left+right - slow down
fire1 -
fire2 -
space - eject

controls can be remapped and joystick control is also available

The biplane can be bloody hard to control!

RemiD(Posted 2015) [#50]
Ok so you first have to use a screen capture tool, i thought that you had coded your own routine to do that. I will do some tests thanks for the infos !

AdamStrange(Posted 2015) [#51]
And to finish. a quick shot of the new Alien Grabbers. Two locking into some lunch, and one (having found lunch) using a gravity hook to bring lunch closer... Before scooting off with it...

Wiebo(Posted 2015) [#52]
Nice!!!!!

AdamStrange(Posted 2015) [#53]
The Enemy Grabber now has the following behaviour:

It looks for lunch (a man)
on finding lunch, uses a gravity hook to get lunch
Raises up and becomes a mutant
Mutants are faster, pink and have a mutant man in charge (green mutated man – lunch):

They will attempt to find you and also pause to injects virus – oh and they can fire small bombs too:

Blocks:

When on foot you can throw tnt – which will destroy a block allowing you to climb to higher levels

For every 2 blocks destroyed, you can plant a block on where you are standing – raising you up by one block.

Here you can see a raised pile of blocks:

Of course all of this means that your island can quickly become virus city:

AdamStrange(Posted 2015) [#54]
After a lot of head banging around font rendering I decided to ditch it all and simply create a 3d one:

Above you can see an information sign coming into view (as you get closer the sign rises and the text jiggles around)

The top left x1 only appears when you have created a block and allows you up to 9 blocks. You can increase the land height you are standing on if you have a block - cost = 1 block!

Starting to come together bit by bit :)

There's a weird loony-tunes feeling appearing: to make a block you need to blow up 2x ground blocks with tnt...

Steve Elliott(Posted 2015) [#55]
Take this commercial when it's ready mate...Some good ideas here.

AdamStrange(Posted 2015) [#56]
Had a problem with some chicken AI - they kept straying into deep water. So needed a way to cull them...

So How about sea-monsters? Specifically something you don't see, but pops out a tentacle to grab em if they stray :)

So using the 3d group system. I wrote a quick frame animation system - looks great :). But thought it could be a better with frame interpolation for smooth animation. Got that sorted too. So in theory could redo the figure graphics to support smooth animation (similar to md2 format)

feeble1(Posted 2015) [#57]
Wow, I was just using a linepick down from the animal's pivot to find out if they are on land.
That sea monster looks a whole lot more fun!

AdamStrange(Posted 2015) [#58]
Just a quick one to show the UI starting to shape up:

The top right shows a spinning pineapple (it seemed a good idea at the time?) and your life indicators - you get one life (or seven if you count the indicators).

Under that are three bonuses - bronze, silver and gold depending on how well you are doing on the current level.

Top left is umbrellas opened and available blocks - these appear and disappear when there is something to show.

I've been trying to breath some life into maps, so there are now butterflies hiding in bushes and umbrellas that flap about when disturbed.

Think thats all for now

Ploppy(Posted 2015) [#59]
Quick and slick - really starting 2 look like something, I'm impressed (and a little envious of your solid progress ;D )....

Rick Nasher(Posted 2015) [#60]
Looking pretty good. That animation of the tentacle looks really like professional quality. Would love to here a nice chocking chicken sound while it jumps into it. ;-)

AdamStrange(Posted 2015) [#61]
Here's something I just cooked up - how a level starts:

It's a bit jerky because of the screen capture. But you get the idea?