Boxing Day (Alpha Demo)

Community Forums/Showcase/Boxing Day (Alpha Demo)

Cubed Inc.(Posted 2015) [#1]
The alpha demo of my latest project Boxing Day has been released to the public for play: http://gamejolt.com/games/adventure/boxing-day-alpha-demo/54478/

Who was John Galt?(Posted 2015) [#2]
Was going to give it a try but Chrome reports it as a blocked malicious file. I'm sure there's nothing nefarious going on, but any idea why this is happening?

Cubed Inc.(Posted 2015) [#3]
Did you try to download the game or play it directly from the browser? Gamejolt's quickplay feature is known for giving off false alarms to anti-virus programs, likely because it requires Java as an add-on to properly function (Java's a safe program, but anti-virus programs always freak-out when it comes to add-ons. You can think of it as trying to bring a water bottle into an airplane: there's nothing wrong with it, but the airline just won't take any chances.)

By the way; if you do play the game, can you tell me if the textures appear for you? Someone mentioned that the textures weren't present when they played it, so I want to know if it was just their computer or the game itself.

Brucey(Posted 2015) [#4]
Cool. How did you get a Blitz3D game to run on Mac/Linux ?

Derron(Posted 2015) [#5]
Cool. How did you get a Blitz3D game to run on Mac/Linux ?

Most current comment on gamejolt:

I'm using a mac and yet when i download the MAC version. the folder has a E.X.E in it and it dosent work when i open it with wine. please fix this!

bye
Ron

Brucey(Posted 2015) [#6]
Most current comment on gamejolt

I know, but I liked my question better :-p

Cubed Inc.(Posted 2015) [#7]
I was totally unaware that Blitz3d games ran only on Windows. The misleading "compatible with" claims have been fixed, and an apology has been issued. Probably lost a potential fan or two from that.

Derron(Posted 2015) [#8]
You also lost the Linuxers (eg. me).

bye
Ron

Cubed Inc.(Posted 2015) [#9]
Well, that was rude.

Derron(Posted 2015) [#10]
Probably lost a potential fan or two from that.

I assumed that is ok ... for your phrase being interpretable as "there are only one or two people using other OS than windows".

bye
Ron

Cubed Inc.(Posted 2015) [#11]
It seems that we both misunderstood each other. I thought you were speaking to me as if I owed you something and greatly disappointed you; and you thought I was saying that Mac and Linux are inferior operating systems that are seldom ever used.

I, of course, am not trying to say that Linux and Mac are insignificant, because they are not. I understand that many, many people use operating systems outside of Windows, and was simply trying to say that it's unfortunate that Blitz3d is not compatible with them. It's a shame that it has been discontinued. Maybe some day someone who's far more code-savvy than me will create a version of Blitz3d that's compatible on all major OS platforms, since the program is now open source.

Anyway, I'm sorry for saying you were rude; I just took your comment the wrong way.

Derron(Posted 2015) [#12]
Happens a lot, accepted your apology.

Did you think of using one of the open/mini/whatever3D-modules for BlitzMax to target linux/mac too?

bye
Ron

Cubed Inc.(Posted 2015) [#13]
I actually haven't taken that idea into consideration, mostly because I have no clue how it works. I thought BlitzMax modules only worked for BlitzMax. Heck, I didn't even know BlitzMax had a 3d module; it thought it was strictly 2d.

AdamStrange(Posted 2015) [#14]
I didn't even know BlitzMax had a 3d module; it thought it was strictly 2d.

Yep Max has direct access to OpenGl and DirectX. or use a wrapper or write your own.

I work on a mac and don't target windows or linux!

Cubed Inc.(Posted 2015) [#15]
Is it simply an add-on that allows Mac/Linux compatibility in other Blitz programs, or does it require specific coding on its own?

Brucey(Posted 2015) [#16]
BlitzMax is a whole separate language :-)

Who was John Galt?(Posted 2015) [#17]
Did you try to download the game or play it directly from the browser?
Quickplay didn't seem to work (quite possibly due to an idiosyncrasy of my system), so tried to download it. That's when Chrome reports it as malicious.

Can anyone else confirm/deny this behaviour?

Cubed Inc.(Posted 2015) [#18]
There's nothing else I can really say to dismiss your suspicion other than the fact that over 100 people played the game without an complaints of malware infection (if it did have a virus attached to it, someone would have likely reported it to me in the comments or a moderator on the site.) Plus, Gamejolt is a reputable site in terms of being safe from malware and viruses, and there is no reason to believe that there would be a virus in the program because of me. Also there's the reason I stated to you above.

By the way; did your browser say you didn't have "permission" to play the game when you attempted to use quickplay? Just curious.

Who was John Galt?(Posted 2015) [#19]
No suspicion- just wondering why it's reporting as such. Mentioned some system setting wouldn't allow quickplay, but wasn't immediately obvious how to change it.

Cubed Inc.(Posted 2015) [#20]
Well, I can assure you that the game is safe to download and play:)
Also, I just fixed a glitch that caused none of the textures to appear, so it should work fine, now.