Phoenix USC: Preview Demo Release. :D

Community Forums/Showcase/Phoenix USC: Preview Demo Release. :D

Richard Betson(Posted 2015) [#1]

Hi,

The Phoenix USC demo is here!

You can download it from Indie DB. (Windows Version)

Also check out the Phoenix USC Steam group page:
http://steamcommunity.com/groups/PhoenixUSC#

Rock on,

Derron(Posted 2015) [#2]
indiedb lists your games as "Platforms Windows, Mac, Linux, iPad, Android, AndroidTab, X360, XBOX"

Demo is only Windows...

... please drop a line when finishing a Linux demo so you can get a load of my critics :p

bye
Ron

Richard Betson(Posted 2015) [#3]
I will adjust that. It's setup from when I firt set that page up. Linux on the way!

BTW, I get a fair amount Linux interest in this game.. a lot actually.

Richard Betson(Posted 2015) [#4]

I have been working to improve the AI of the demo. The bots (enemy ships) now have increased weapons (bullet) velocities and bots also have increased speed. The bots now only move or turn when they have a clear line of sight on the player ship. I have also increased the AI efficiency so now all 300 bots can be in view and battling. The AI tracking has been improved and the bots accuracy increased.

In this video you can see me take on a massive 300 bot swarm. I will include an option so that you can take on the bots in the same manor. I will be posting a new demo version and patch for those who already have a copy of the current demo here in a couple of days (by this weekend).

Regards,

Matty(Posted 2015) [#5]
(copied my post from the general discussion..)

Hmm...just watching the video....the bots seem to aim at where the target was, rather than where it will be....(tempted to share shameless plug for my code archives entry/javascript webpage regarding target tracking...)

looks good though....

Richard Betson(Posted 2015) [#6]
Hi,

Almost have them tracking correctly.

I have seen your method and although a good solution would be to resource intensive for my needs. Calculating each bullet and its potential target area would never work in this case. The inertia based environment makes a forum or dead reckoning the best choice for this project. One that does not factor each bullet.

At any rate I'm homing in on it. :)

Richard Betson(Posted 2015) [#7]
Hi,

A video card performance benchmark comparison of Phoenix USC on many Radeon cards here at Game Debate.
http://www.game-debate.com/games/index.php?g_id=22369&compareGPU=Phoenix%20Universe%20of%20Space%20Combat

Phoenix does amazingly well and is designed to run on mobile devices with their meager video hardware. Even though the site list DX9 Phoenix supports DX 10-11 with col's mod.

Richard Betson(Posted 2015) [#8]
... please drop a line when finishing a Linux demo so you can get a load of my critics :p

On the way. After I figure out how to package it and have it tested on a few systems it's out the door. ;)

Richard Betson(Posted 2015) [#9]

Hi,

Working the official Phoenix USC demo video (HD). It does show the latest AI improvements which work well. Take a look. :)

Edit: Headlining on Indie DB. Thanks Indie DB.

Richard Betson(Posted 2015) [#10]
Linux build next week. :)

I have also been porting some of the code used in Phoenix USC to Monkey-X. Here is a flash demo of Phoenix's GUI window framework. :)
http://www.phoenixusc.com/board/misc.php?page=PUSC_GUI

Brucey(Posted 2015) [#11]
I have also been porting some of the code used in Phoenix USC to Monkey-X.

What advantages are there to the game itself? For example, does it run faster?

Richard Betson(Posted 2015) [#12]
Really no advantages other then I can reach additional platforms, IOS and Android to be the primary targets. I have yet to even look at what you are doing with BlitzMax in mobile. What are you doing in mobile just Android? I am assuming that's why your asking. ;)

As soon as I put the Linux demo build out I will have the time to sort through all that you have been up to. I will defiantly take a stab at compiling a 64bit version of Phoenix as well as mobile if it's possible on your BlitzMax versions. I am so keen to tryout what you have been developing.

Another reason is really to help out Monkey-X. I can deliver a capable window system and GUI which I will make available to all including BlitzMax users. It's not revolutionary but works well and can provide perhaps a better option for Monkey-X.

One other reason to start to port to Monkey-x is networking. There are a few limitations in Monkey-X's networking (not it's fault really) for example no bytes can be sent only integers/words. The next step in my development is finishing up the server and I want to make sure any limitations are dealt with now and porting over enough to test that will be helpful.

Anyway, keep up the great work you have been doing. I'am a follower. :)

Richard Betson(Posted 2015) [#13]
@Brucey

I managed to get bmx-ng going. That is pretty slick. I was able to compile Diegesteriods in Windows as x64. Wow!

I'm still getting familiar with it and in trying to compile my project in x64 the three mods I use all had issues. They also seem to have issues in x86. But I really need to make sure the it's OK to use tdm64-gcc-4.9.2-3 as MinGW 32/64. By the way that is so cool to be able to switch between the two x86 and x64 compile options. Too cool.

I also want to run thin on Linux as I think it should run on my Debian wheezy setup. And there is a js, PI Android option I need to get intel on as that is right in my interest zone.

I'm glad I spent the time to get it going today. Awesome work.

Richard Betson(Posted 2015) [#14]
Hi,

I have a Linux build of the demo available here
http://www.phoenixusc.com/board/showthread.php?tid=319

I would be grateful if someone could give it a go and report it working. :) It's a 32bit Linux program (built on Debian 7 Wheezy) and should run on most systems that support 3D video hardware and drivers. Supports Pulse audio.

Thanks,
- Rich -

Richard Betson(Posted 2015) [#15]
Hi,

Phoenix USC is on gamingonlinux.com .
https://www.gamingonlinux.com/index.php

If you have a Linux project check'em out. Way easy to post news about a project.

Richard Betson(Posted 2015) [#16]
Howdy,

Porting PUSC to Monkey X and getting ready for Monkey X2. Check out the sweet realtime windows. :) New user interface using my Phoenix GUI. New path to a 2D gaming framework.
http://www.monkey-x.com/Community/posts.php?topic=9788

Richard Betson(Posted 2015) [#17]

Making great progress in Monkey X. Testing weapons, physics, UI, GUI and more in this video. Full story here:
http://www.monkey-x.com/Community/posts.php?topic=9815#105123

Richard Betson(Posted 2015) [#18]

Hi,

Video of Phoenix USC and new gaming framework running on Android 5.0 using Monkey X. :D More info here:
http://www.monkey-x.com/Community/posts.php?topic=9788

Pingus(Posted 2015) [#19]
Impressive !
How went the translation from Bmax to Monkey ? Considering the amount of moving sprites I see on this video I especially wonder about how you did handle the draw calls optimization stuff (if any) ?

Richard Betson(Posted 2015) [#20]
Thanks,

I really did not do any thing with regard to changing my method for Monkey X or for Android. Really there is way more headroom for more sprites perhaps a 1000. I explain here how I handle images/sprites and a bit on the process. You can also get a bit more detail on the GUI here.

It is probably good to note that tablet in the video is an 11.6" 1.3ghz quad core with 1Gb. Excellent for gaming and although test will tell, I believe has plenty of headroom. This is the market I will be aiming at. The fastest growing segment in gaming.

As far as porting to Monkey X I had written all of my code to be portable. So no pointers, no BlitzMax specific commands or syntax (for the most part). It is not as hard as it sounds and really I think helps render more efficient and portable code. All that I have ported so far has required only minor extra efforts.

RemiD(Posted 2015) [#21]
This is what i mean by gamepad-like controls drawn on the screen of the tablet (at 1m18s) and if done correctly it is responsive enough and precise enough and comfortable to play a game. (not as precise as a mouse + keyboard but ok...) Good work !

Richard Betson(Posted 2015) [#22]
^Thanks,

A D/Game pad configuration is totally doable on touch. It is really a matter of getting the responses right as you point out. This kind of game lends itself well to that D-Pad style too. The controls are really buttons managed by the GUI system so all control input is essentially button clicks. Since the GUI system can report all buttons pressed during a cycle it makes it easy to get input responses. Even at '60' Frames a second as show in the above video.

I will support both this D-pad setup as well as the classic navigation circle and even tilt control (accelerometer) which I have working. If you have seen Pocket Fleet then I think you could see how tilt control could work in this game.

And then there is the keyboard. :) Which I have on my tablet and I will support for sure as the keyboard is the best way to play many games IMHO. ;)

Matty(Posted 2015) [#23]
Nice visuals.

Richard Betson(Posted 2015) [#24]
Whoo hoo!

Currently ranked #1 on slidedb.com (Indie DB Mobile)! My first time on top. :D Been getting a lot of positive feedback on the window based GUI for Android.
http://www.slidedb.com/games/phoenix-universe-of-space-combat