Worked some killer cats into my running...

Community Forums/Showcase/Worked some killer cats into my running...

Blitzplotter(Posted 2015) [#1]
...analysis tool. The cats edge ever closed as the life force of each avatar depletes until the bitter end arrives....

The catz are just prowling here until they are unleashed when the bars of their cage drops low enough:

edit - new video uploaded here:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=r9TVqQ1AtvA

and the good cats chasing down the avatars:

Rick Nasher(Posted 2015) [#2]
Video?

Blitzplotter(Posted 2015) [#3]
I intend to do a video - however I need to find the time...

Would bloody mist/fog around the cats mouths as a life is 'lost' be a little too much?

I would like to get a new demo realeased with my new directory structure - however I've been propping up my coding mojo by some fun implementing some devil cats. Incidentally, I highly recommend Foins models for implementing in your B3D projects:-

http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=103940

Blitzplotter(Posted 2015) [#4]
Uploading a video now... however seeing as I live out in the sticks it's going to take just over 2 hours - at the mo.

Blitzplotter(Posted 2015) [#5]
Video link here

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=r9TVqQ1AtvA

Derron(Posted 2015) [#6]
Seems you need to work a bit on position/rotation-interpolation.

Figurines and cats "wobble" ("jump around" and rotate as if there are only 4 directions available) a bit too much imho. Also the Slow-Mo looks a bit odd. Cannot imagine that people want to see "ohh, I was that slow...".

bye
Ron

Blitzplotter(Posted 2015) [#7]
Thanks for the feedback Derron, I agree with you on the 4 directions only. As for the slow mo things, what is represented is 43 minutes of data within just over 2 mins of replay. For example, the replay displayed shows that I was pushing harder on the purple run at the start, overdid it really with the bmp, hence the purple avatar bought it whereas the green data didn't.

So, for all it may look slow, those avatars are travelling at about 80 mph if it was real time.

As for the position, was also considering increasing the resolution of the positions by not simply using the GPS co ords (which have incidentally been squished somewhat to optimize the representation in 3d). So, more work possibly required there. Or not... as my daughter says I've been doing this for years - and it doesn't look like it ;)

Grisu(Posted 2015) [#8]
Looks funny.

When will we see the bloodhound dog upgrade? ;)

Blitzplotter(Posted 2015) [#9]
Cheers Grisu, release the cats doesn't have quite the same effect as....

"Release the hounds!"

I did think about implementing a girl/boy runner choice, I might slot a hound/cat option in as well ;)

Rick Nasher(Posted 2015) [#10]
Interesting project. Perhaps an idea to scale down the avatar meshes and then zoom in on it? Like that the distance/speed may be more 'real life' like?

Blitzplotter(Posted 2015) [#11]
@Rick, thanks for the feedback and suggestions, all feedback gratefully received.

It has provoked discussion with my peers (the family)....

The course I used for this demo is basically up and down a 4 mile stretch of dual carriageway, not the best to illustrate the thing, but there you go.

Happy coding folks ;)

virtlands(Posted 2015) [#12]
I have a hunch BlitzPlotter has cats as pets.

Derron(Posted 2015) [#13]
It does not matter what length the track has .... you should avoid the perceived reception of "I was slow".
Zooming in to keep the "animation speed" near the run distance (in pixels on screen) is one potential solution to the problem.

@rotation
Interpolation wont bring you much (except "smooth rotation" towards an axis which only exists because of an gps "error"). Think you need some kind of averaging. Look forward to upcoming gps tracked data and average out the rotation). All of this of course is a matter of the "scale". So do not average on "metres/foot" but on pixels. When zoomed in a "45 degree" rotation might make sense because you then recognize the sharp curve they have run.

Hope my explanation makes sense ... sometimes I would prefer to write in my mother tongue :p

bye
Ron

Blitzplotter(Posted 2015) [#14]
@Virtlands, yep we have a cat;)

Thanks for the additional explanation Derron, it does indeed make sense.