dungeon progress

Community Forums/Showcase/dungeon progress

AdamStrange(Posted 2014) [#1]
So, starting from 2d, I went to 2.5d and then 3d. but 3d required a real programming jump with shaders etc. So here is the new result. Very basic 2d map, sliding collision, 3d output with no shaders, lighting etc.

Currently I have implemented orbital (where you can rotate the camera around the main character):

3rd person with zoom:

and 1st person with look up/look down

Derron(Posted 2014) [#2]
Somehow I like the third shot ... the light gradients make it look "softer" (compared to the "flat" dwarf ... I know, you disabled certain engine features).

I also know you are just "testing" - but pay attention to the gaps between the floor tiles - or the stones in the arcs ... cannot imagine that 5-6cm of "mud" will hold stones together :p.

Hope you sooner or later show the environment lighting of torches ... will surely increase the mood of a dungeon then.

bye
Ron

Mainsworthy(Posted 2014) [#3]
This reminds me of Hero Quest I think its called that, game a lot! you should check the game , you may have a hit, seriously Id buy hero quest clone

RGR(Posted 2014) [#4]
@AdamStrange

Correct the spelling of Lighting (Show Lighitng)

;-)

Mainsworthy(Posted 2014) [#5]
Hero Quest the boardgame btw

Makis(Posted 2014) [#6]
Looks fantastic!

Derron(Posted 2014) [#7]
@Hero Quest
There was a time with nice looking plastic figurines ...I only owned Starquest (was an expensive board game... and the figures were not painted... just white or red or black or green ...).

bye
Ron

Mainsworthy(Posted 2014) [#8]
have you noticed the doorways above and the low walls aswell :)

RemiD(Posted 2014) [#9]

This reminds me of Hero Quest

same thought here.

The meshes look good, but you need more colors and some lighting !

I am making a similar game (inspired by heroquest), but i bet that the controls, ai, actions, animations, possibilities will be different so i don't care ;)

good luck for the next steps !

AdamStrange(Posted 2014) [#10]
great comments and suggestions. I've not played HeroQuest, so needed to go and look it up - yep same sort of thing.

I haven't thought too much about game play at this stage as I am trying to get the look right and also dealing with the 3d editor and background control systems.

The lighting and texturing is coming, but I quite like the general flat shaded polygon look

Mainsworthy(Posted 2014) [#11]
you should know hero quest was a world success, if you want a hit do a computer version, the a.i. is just dice

Makis(Posted 2014) [#12]
Just add lighting imho.

RemiD(Posted 2014) [#13]

I quite like the general flat shaded polygon look

Me too, but the columns, furnitures, containers, character look too bright compared to the floors, walls...

AdamStrange(Posted 2014) [#14]
this is all just test render stuff, so the final will be better looking models plus a FBO shader engine.

Here's a quick look at the Shader Engine with lighting and shadows:

Steve Elliott(Posted 2014) [#15]
Coming along nicely! :)

AdamStrange(Posted 2014) [#16]
I'm just updating the 3d modeller to add verses capping and also vertex extrusion. I also needed to rewrite parts of the internal control and message handler to remove a weird 3-5 second delay on startup.

@RemiD
How far have you got with the game? How are you envisaging it looking and working?

RemiD(Posted 2014) [#17]

How far have you got with the game? How are you envisaging it looking and working?

@Adam>>
The map editor is finished, the random map generator is finished, i have some columns/sculptures/furnitures/containers/machines/rocks/plants ready to use, i have stopped to code this project when trying to create a good enough combat system, i was hesitating between 2 kinds of combat system, one is real time action similar to blade of darkness/rune/shadows of rome, the other is turn by turn with the possibility to create combos and critical hits by pressing a key at the right time.
The appearance will be high tris and one color for each material.
For the lighting i use vertex lighting with custom configuration (intensity, color, airresistance)
My demo "build a room with parts" was a test to see if i could replace the prebuilt tiles of the map by procedurally built floors walls ceilings.
I also like the flat shaded look.
I am not working on this project at the moment...

AdamStrange(Posted 2014) [#18]
What 3d modeller do you use? Also b3d or max?

RemiD(Posted 2014) [#19]

What 3d modeller do you use? Also b3d or max?

Fragmotion to create non changing meshes (parts) or rigged skinned animated meshes.
Blitz3d to build the floors, walls, ceilings, passages, doors, columns, sculptures, furnitures, containers, machines, rocks, plants, with parts.
The map editor and the map generator have been made with Blitz3d.

What do you plan to do for the combat system ?

AdamStrange(Posted 2014) [#20]
How do you find Fragmotion for modelling?
I'm on max here

RemiD(Posted 2014) [#21]

How do you find Fragmotion for modelling?

I have tried several others similar apps before and Fragmotion is the one that i prefer to make parts of things or characters/vehicles and create a skeleton with joints, define influences of some joints over some vertices, create poses and animations.
However Fragmotion is not very good for unwelding and UVMapping imo, i prefer wings3d for this (select edges to cut, then unweld, then scale rotate position the shape on the texture, then slightly modify the uv coords of some vertices, then export the mesh and the texture), but these days i don't spend time unwelding and uvmaping, i color my meshes with different groups and vertex colors or with different groups and one texture with different colors .
I prefer my own editor to make terrains and buildings with floors, walls, ceilings, passages...

AdamStrange(Posted 2014) [#22]
Sound good advice. I couldn't get my head into Wings3d (I came from 3dsmax and it was too much of a step backwards). I have the core for skeletal animation, but need much more coding to make it workable.

Any shots of your editor?

Looks like we are heading in the same direction, just different paths ;)

RemiD(Posted 2014) [#23]
My map builder editor is really simple :
rd-stuff.fr/screenie-map-with-3dtiles-builder-editor.png
The idea is to create a map, then to create areas (=rooms), then to manually create the shape of each area with a base 3dtile (very fast to do), then to automatically calculate the kind of "floorwallceiling" of each 3dtile depending on its position compared to the others in the same area, then to manually add passages to connect an area to another, then to automatically calculate the kind of "floorwallceiling" with a passage in it, then to manually add columns, sculptures, furnitures, containers, machines, rocks, plants, then to save the map...

My first try to build the floors walls ceilings was with subdivided meshes :
rd-stuff.fr/screenie-floorswallsceilings-with-subdivided-3dtiles.png

My second try to build the floors walls ceilings was with parts :
rd-stuff.fr/screenie-floorswallsceilings-with-parts.png

Then i have done some tries with the combat system, then i have stopped to work on this project, i may continue later...

Blitzplotter(Posted 2014) [#24]
Very impressive looking work Adam, I like the clean looking finish you have implemented. And, RemiD, I like your screen grabs of your project so far, great to see various projects progressing in Blitz3D. ;)

AdamStrange(Posted 2014) [#25]
Yep I can see where you are going and now can recognise that first map layout :)

I've just finished extrude and capping in the 3d editor, which makes for much more expressive creations: This is a boot which started life as a cylender. Very rough, but it shows everything is now operating correctly:

RemiD(Posted 2014) [#26]

and now can recognise that first map layout

:)

To build terrains and buildings (exterior and interior), i think that you either need a system to manually build them quickly or a system to procedurally build them.
Else, for me, it quickly becomes uninteresting and boring.
Another way would be to outsource the creation of terrains and buildings (exterior and interior) to somebody...

Nice shoes. (Except the white thing at right).

zoqfotpik(Posted 2014) [#27]
This looks amazing.

Maybe I should revisit OpenGL for my roguelike game instead of using 2D sprites...

AdamStrange(Posted 2014) [#28]
funny you should say that. I started with 2d sprites, but wanted walls overlapping correctly and rotation, so I moved to textured 3d polygons (they were great btw), but encountered depth issues which meant going to pure 3d. And here I am.

The main issue I came across was exactly how to make the very low poly 3d models. The answer was to make a 3d editor, so I have to flip between adding new bits to the 3d editor, then working a bit on the rendering, then the game engine...