GPSRunner3D

Community Forums/Showcase/GPSRunner3D

Blitzplotter(Posted 2014) [#1]
Hi folks, please find a link to a demo of my running trainer analysis tool. It helps to compare successive training events with data exported from the Garmin series of products (.tcx files).

[EDIT] Download link removed, REMid provided some feedback which has revealed an installation script issue that requires resolving... looking into it now

(Edit) Got an interim fix which needs more work, Thankyou Remid for helping me identify a spurious issue, I love this community ;)

I've had some reports that after importing the supplied data using the Import Data button, when you start the Blitz3D generated 3D data viewer and you press 'start' the green and purple runners simply run on the spot. I'd really appreciate some more confirmations that this is the case as I cannot seem to replicate the issue.

I've been working in some debug into the Import routine to no avail so far ;( - on my 3 test systems the runners act as expected, start 'racing' each other around the imported course, and do not run on the spot.

(Please note, you can use your own tcx files if you want by depositing two of them for comparison in the IMPORT and IMPORT2 directories)

Thanks to the Blitzers who helped me eliminate the Memory Access Violations during the data import process - your help was really appreciated ;)

There's a website I'm slowly putting together which details the project:

http://www.gpsrunner.co.uk

Cheers,

RemiD(Posted 2014) [#2]
So what do you want us to do ?
-use the Import Data button to import a tcx file
-then start the Blitz3D generated 3D data viewer
-then press 'start'
-then the green and purple runners should run ?

please confirm
without clear instructions i am not sure what i am supposed to do/check

RemiD(Posted 2014) [#3]
Ok here is what i have done and the results i have had :
I selected the .tcx file in the right column
I selected the .tcx file in the left column
I clicked on the button "import data"
a window opened with some infos and some messages :
"File 1 was not found"
"File 2 was found"
"press any key to continue"
i pressed a key
then this message was displayed :
"no files found to import, program stopping press any key"
i pressed a key
the window closed
i pressed the button "open 3d data viewer"
i get a mav

where can i find the missing .tcx file ?

Blitzplotter(Posted 2014) [#4]
@RemiD - thank you for the feedback - it is appreciated. You were right in assuming the following:

-use the Import Data button to import a tcx file
-then start the Blitz3D generated 3D data viewer
-then press 'start'
-then the green and purple runners should run ?

It appears my install script is failing to drag in the latest tcx files, I need to do more investigation.

I'm just uploading two tcx files that can be downloaded separately from a link I will provide in a couple of minutes, although I had hoped the installer would have deposited the two files for you within something like the following paths:

Users/{your user name}/Documents/GPSRunner/IMPORT/{file1.tcx}
Users/{your user name}/Documents/GPSRunner/IMPORT2/{file2.tcx}

It'll take me a minute or two to upload the files & provide a link - it appears I need to update my installation script, please accept my apologies.

Links to tcx files for download:

http://www.gpsrunner.co.uk/GPSFunRunner3DDemo/file1.tcx
http://www.gpsrunner.co.uk/GPSFunRunner3DDemo/file2.tcx

Once you have put file1.tcx and file2.tcx into the IMPORT and IMPORT2 folders, hopefully the initial GUI will look like this (with file1.tcx and file2.tcx at the bottom)

Hopefully, after pressing the IMPORT button, you will be presented with something along the lines of: (Please note, due to the way the DEBUG works, the DEBUG info presented is only accurate after pressing IMPORT for a second time - this is due to the way the logic saves what tcx files have been detected within the My Docs/GPSRunner/IMPORT & IMPORT2 directories.)

RemiD(Posted 2014) [#5]
From the errors i have seen, it seems that the filename1 and the filename2 are hardcoded in your code whereas they should be defined when the user selects the file1 and the file2 in the listbox1 and listbox2...

so i would check that.

also if you could test to install your program on another computer you would probably see basic errors like these.
We can help you to identify compatibility problems/input errors/graphics errors/sound errors, but your errors seem very basic imo.

good luck

Blitzplotter(Posted 2014) [#6]
@RemiD,

Thanks for your feedback, really appreciated. The list boxes within the interface purely show what is within both of the import directories, if there is indeed anything there. I cannot be 100% sure at the moment that the installation script is setting up the required import directories (although this was working....)

The {filename1}.tcx and {filename2}.tcx aren't hard coded, the import process has a look in the IMPORT and IMPORT2 directories and saves whatever files are there within the import_graph_path.txt files.

These are then used by the IMPORT program to work out which files need to be loaded. Unfortunately, the debug presented after the first time the Import button is depressed is historic. If the Import button is pressed a second time - you are presented with an accurate reflection of what the program is using or attempting to use.

Poor debug, I know - sorry.

I re-ran my installation script using file1.tcx & file2.tcx however this proved the problem that you experienced, ie no tcx files. I suspect this might be due to the fact I renamed the application, although I cannot be sure at the moment.

C:\Users\{windowsLogInName}\My Documents\GPSRunner\IMPORT\

I need to re-check my installation script and resolve why the tcx files are not being written to the appropriate directory - this functionality was working but them gremlins have been busy again.

[EDIT]

Found the issue, not sure why, but the installer script is setting up the IMPORT and IMPORT2 directories at this path:

C:\User\Administrator\Documents\GPSRunner\IMPORT\file_1.tcx

Instead of

C:\User\{CurrentWindowsLoggedInUser}\Documents\GPSRunner\IMPORT\file_1.tcx

More work required ;)

RemiD(Posted 2014) [#7]
One more clue for you :
i suspect that the filename2 is hardcoded somewhere because even by deleting the first .tcx files, and then putting the file1.tcx and file2.tcx at their places, the file1 was not detected in the path1 and the file2 was detected in the path2 but it was with the filename of the first file (the files with the installation). (or it may be because your debug infos are erroneous...)

Blitzplotter(Posted 2014) [#8]
Found the issue, not sure why, but the installer script is setting up the IMPORT and IMPORT2 directories at this path:

C:\User\Administrator\Documents\GPSRunner\IMPORT\file_1.tcx

Instead of

C:\User\{CurrentWindowsLoggedInUser}\Documents\GPSRunner\IMPORT\file_1.tcx

{userdocs} is being resolved to 'Administrator' by Innosetup for some reason.

I cannot see how my 3D viewer was able to work at all at the moment upon my other two laptops - more investigation required ;) Additional help really appreciated - I will amend my debug so that also makes more sense.

RemiD(Posted 2014) [#9]

I cannot see how my 3D viewer was able to work at all at the moment upon my other two laptops

Oh you have tried on others computers and it worked correctly ? I guess that in this case external help is needed to track the bug. Sorry for my previous comment.

Blitzplotter(Posted 2014) [#10]
Oh you have tried on others computers and it worked correctly ? I guess that in this case external help is needed to track the bug. Sorry for my previous comment.

No need to apologise, I really do appreciate your feedback - thanks again ;) The thing is, I have changed where the installation script is sourcing its files from which has helped analyze the issue - but I'm wondering if I need more robustness within my Installation script now....

Blitzplotter(Posted 2014) [#11]
My test team (the wife) talked the issue thru, the laptops do not have an Admin acct, the main PC does. Therefore, at the mo, it would appear any PC with an Admin account takes ownership of the My Docs installation script variable, thus stopping my program from locating the path to the tcx files.

RemiD(Posted 2014) [#12]
Have you tried to provide your app ready to use in a .zip file, and let the user extracts the app where he wants (but not in c:/windows/ and not in c:/program files (x86)/), and write/read directly in the directory of the app ?
If the user has a user account (=not administrator), are the files written/read properly in the directory of the app ?
Ugly approach, but if your users understand how to extract and use an app this way, why bother ?

Blitzplotter(Posted 2014) [#13]
If the user has a user account (=not administrator), are the files written/read properly in the directory of the app ?
Ugly approach, but if your users understand how to extract and use an app this way, why bother ?

I'd like to have the install as automated as possible - the only 'reading' that has to happen from the users My Docs is for the two files which the user would want to import from another application. All other reading/writing occurs within the C:\ProgramData area.

I did initially have the tcx files for import stored within the C:\ProgramData\[application}\Import directory - however Windows Explorer hides these files from view (unless to type the path name directly into the explorer window).

It is/was my aspiration from the users perspective to just let them deposit their own tcx files into their My Docs/{application}/Import directories for the end users simplicity approach. I think I'll still get there - even if it means extra functionality within the VB6 front end and the B3D executable to move/copy the directories and files from the my docs/admin account to the users my docs account. The joy of indie development - maybe I should've stuck to making 3D games with JV-ODE ;)