[WIP] Mushroom Kingdom Fusion - Blitz Port

Community Forums/Showcase/[WIP] Mushroom Kingdom Fusion - Blitz Port

Feguelion(Posted 2014) [#1]
Hello,
You may, or not, know a game called Mushroom Kingdom Fusion. It is a Mario-based fangame started in around 2008 (I think), and it was orginally made in GameMaker.
This fangame is a crossover which combines elements from multiple games such as Mario, Sonic, Mega Man, Metal Slug, DOOM, Castlevania, and more. It is a plateformer, and you have multiple characters to play as.

Here is the official website of the original MKF project: http://fusiongameworks.net/
And here's a video of one of the levels from the original project: http://youtu.be/boqPLNQ9hvY (it's mostly a Metal Slug and Contra-based level)
Recently, most developers couldn't continue the project due to IRL obligations, and the project became open-source. I have decided to recreate it in Blitz (I have started in BlitzPlus, but I'll most likely move to BlitzMax soon), hopefuly it will allow the game to be completed, fix some issues such as lag, make it available to more people (like Mac and Linux users), and allow new features to be implemented easily (I'm looking forward to implement a NSMBWii-style simultaneous multiplayer mode). I know the task will certainly not be easy and fast, so I'm here to ask Blitz users if you would like to help me to complete this project. If you have any question, go ahead and ask! =)
I've started recently so I don't have much to show for now, sorry.

(Also I wasn't really sure if this is the right place to post this topic, if it isn't, I'm sorry.)

Guy Fawkes(Posted 2014) [#2]
OMG! PLEASE tell me you're gonna be releasing the source! O_O

We could make new levels with that too! :D

Feguelion(Posted 2014) [#3]
Yes, the project will be open source. Since a level editor will be needed to make levels for this, I've decided that the editor will be made public as well, allowing for players to make custom levels even without the source.
I'm currently working on getting a simple system to load custom skins, and I'll be working on the platforming engine. I really hope that I can get help, especially for coding and level design, and I'm gonna see when I'll be able to upgrade to BlitzMax.

Guy Fawkes(Posted 2014) [#4]
Can you translate it to Blitz3D for those of us who don't use Blitzmax? :)

Thanks again!

Derron(Posted 2014) [#5]
Yeah and if you finished porting it to Blitz3D feel free to bake a cake for us to enjoy too.

seriously: do not start your "Blitzmax career" with something big. Start small. Exception is if you are already an experienced programmer (means: finished some bigger projects, know about project management, keeping your projects folder maintained and clean ...).

I really doubt you will find people willed to help you kicking off such a project. Start it, do it - and half on the way people might add things, or not.

bye
Ron

big10p(Posted 2014) [#6]
Yeah and if you finished porting it to Blitz3D feel free to bake a cake for us to enjoy too.
lol. Some people want the moon on a stick.

Guy Fawkes(Posted 2014) [#7]
The same stupid trolls that try to troll me everywhere I go. Well the tables have turned, my friends. I'm going to start following YOU and posting crap about YOU too!

Blitzplotter(Posted 2014) [#8]
No offence meant, in my experience coding even a "simple" spelling program would be nigh on impossible to port to B3D from my BMAX code. I dread to think how complex it could be to port something more complex. I appreciate the desire for some B3D version of it Guy, being a big B3d fan myself, but all I think someone was eluding to was that your request for a b3d port might be tough work, peace.

Feguelion(Posted 2014) [#9]
seriously: do not start your "Blitzmax career" with something big. Start small. Exception is if you are already an experienced programmer (means: finished some bigger projects, know about project management, keeping your projects folder maintained and clean ...).

I've started using Blitz recently, but I do have experience in programming.

Can you translate it to Blitz3D for those of us who don't use Blitzmax? :)

Sorry, but I won't port the project to Blitz3D, as Blitzplotter said, once it will be made in BlitzMax, it will be hard to make a B3D version, so this will most likely not happen (at least I won't be doing it, but since the source will be released, if someone wants to do that, they will be able to do it.

Feguelion(Posted 2014) [#10]
The project was moved to another engine, sorry for that. I found a game template that will make the port much easier.