Blitz Hardwired - DX9 and DX11 Userlib (Part X)

Community Forums/Showcase/Blitz Hardwired - DX9 and DX11 Userlib (Part X)

Ploppy(Posted 2014) [#1]
New thread, without taking roman numerals into account we're up to double figures now...

I have an update out tonight, it may not seem like much from your side, as there are no visible additions to the command list. However, I have spent many hours so far since my last update to correct certain bugs, improve effeciency and tighten algorithms in general. Results should be closer now between the hw and hy versions now, as they should be. There may be an improvement on xp compatibility also (I'm crossing my fingers here)....

New worklog entry

Rick Nasher(Posted 2014) [#2]
Hmm, I of course immediately had to try on the test project, but
cam's still running wild. Very hard to stabilize, running away way fast.
After some fideling I got below in view:

So it is displaying stuff OK, just very hard to get into view.

Ploppy(Posted 2014) [#3]
I know Rick. I'm still working on that bit. I will let you know when my revised code is working correctly for this. By the way, change graphicswidth to dxgraphicswidth and graphicsheight to dxgraphicsheight at the beginning of your code.

Rick Nasher(Posted 2014) [#4]
ow, missed that one. Corrected it, thanks.

virtlands(Posted 2014) [#5]
Also, when I use the "recent files" tab option, it injects the following error,
"C:\perso\dx11\release\release\Hybrid\..."

virtlands(Posted 2014) [#6]

virtlands(Posted 2014) [#7]
. . .

BlitzSupport(Posted 2014) [#8]
I've removed the off-topic posts -- please just stick to the topic.

Ploppy(Posted 2014) [#9]
@Virtlands, just delete the file blitzide.prefs from the cfg folder. The ide saved my own session when I tested Hybrid. I forgot to take out the file before uploading and it should work fine...

N_Gnom(Posted 2014) [#10]
samples test10d fails.
I started hybrid, load test10d.Compile and run.....
Black screen and i must restart the computer.....

edit: ploppy all i compile and run failed.every time my computer freeze.strg+alt+del fails.....i must press reset button on my computer
thats the freakiest software i ever see....

Ploppy(Posted 2014) [#11]
Well, it is under developement... I think what must happen is that there is a memory leak/overflow probably within the gfx adapter that's why the system freaks out, at a guess. sorry :D

N_Gnom(Posted 2014) [#12]
its no problem but i hope the next release donīt freeze my computer

Ploppy(Posted 2014) [#13]
It may not be to conforting to hear but me too I hope it doesn't freeze your pc. Unfortunately I can't guarantee that for the moment...

N_Gnom(Posted 2014) [#14]
itīs okay....
blue screen = m$
black screen = ploppy....
smile...lol

i hope any other tester can confirm my problem

dgran98(Posted 2014) [#15]
@N_Gnom not yet I'm stuck on " not enough parameters " currently

N_Gnom(Posted 2014) [#16]
only on the last release start editor and compile any sample...freeze computer with black screen.

Ploppy(Posted 2014) [#17]
Does it freeze with the dll too??

N_Gnom(Posted 2014) [#18]
i try the dx11test with the dll.it starts a blue world with rotating cubes.If i press escape it freezes with a black screen... -->reset my computer...holy shit smile...

Ploppy(Posted 2014) [#19]
Which windows do you use?

N_Gnom(Posted 2014) [#20]
Windows 7 32bit

Ploppy(Posted 2014) [#21]
Ok. Thanks for info, I'll see what I can do...

N_Gnom(Posted 2014) [#22]
And it doesnīt create an .exe

It seems that it freeze before hybrid compiles an .exe.

Ploppy(Posted 2014) [#23]
Are you using the hardwired dll with Hybrid?? If so, I would not recommend you do so for the moment. Either use the userlib with blitz3d/blitzplus, or use Hybrid without the userlib. There are no compatibility issues as such, but the hybrid does not presently have the native b3d window manipulations routines installed. Any function or command that needs the use of the initial output window for example is not likely to work for the moment, including keyboard commands (including waitkey).

This is possibly what is holding you back, at a guess.

N_Gnom(Posted 2014) [#24]
I have use hybrid and your dll/blitz3d seperately.
Can you post a simple code that should work with hybrid?
Iīll test it pure in hybrid.

Ploppy(Posted 2014) [#25]
I have tested all the bb files that reside in the Hybrid\samples folder. These should all work with Hybrid. The files that are in the release folder are however meant for Hardwired.

Panno(Posted 2014) [#26]
ive got an unknown rumtime exeption . win 7 32 bit

Yue(Posted 2014) [#27]
Continuing without walking in XP

N_Gnom(Posted 2014) [#28]
okay than i should use another engine

N_Gnom(Posted 2014) [#29]
atm. nothing from hybrid work...nothing

virtlands(Posted 2014) [#30]
I rebooted, and ran Hybrid, ... all 13 files in the samples folder performed exceptionally well, ....
except for Test10D.BB which looks a little weird.

RGR(Posted 2014) [#31]
Problem solved - Images removed

N_Gnom(Posted 2014) [#32]
here works nothing....

Ploppy(Posted 2014) [#33]
I have had the opportunity of testing hw on an xp system at work this morning. Indeed it crashes on a dxGraphics command for some reason. I don't know exactly what I did for the moment but it worked in the past on xp. I'll check it out...

N_Gnom(Posted 2014) [#34]
Maybe the result of your changing is that it work on xp...only on xp....
can you post a compiled sample?
Iīll test another release from you today.

edit: can you send me the last two builds before the last build.

Ploppy(Posted 2014) [#35]
I do not plan to build hw so it xorks only on xp - I don't see much point in that. However it should be totally feasible to get it working on all systems from xp onwards in theory.

As for the last two builds, I'll see what I can dig out. As a general rule I do not keep a copy of every build as I have released a lot of them...

N_Gnom(Posted 2014) [#36]
okay...but i would test the last builds because you can see whats the difference if one of the last builds runs correctly.

Panno(Posted 2014) [#37]
yes please Ploopy , Put a small demo in the folder, so we know its the hardware or the installation.
thx

Ploppy(Posted 2014) [#38]
Great new addition de hardwired today...

New worklog entry

@RGR - The 'axe problem' you were experiencing was because the b3d code was badly configured, hardwired was working correctly. I had given the axe texture an alpha attribute, I shouldn't have -- all you need here is a colour and masking attribute. If you change

tex2=dxLoadTexture("images\axe.jpg",9+2+4)

to

tex2=dxLoadTexture("images\axe.jpg",9+4)

all should be fine. In my new release this has been corrected.

N_Gnom(Posted 2014) [#39]
it seems that the reason for the freeze is comodo firewall...
but maze.bb memory access violation

edit: hybird: test10.bb the same....
itīs not comodo

edit2: the last build runs fine.
only the new release make a memory access violation error....

Wolf1870(Posted 2014) [#40]
Also get >memory access violation< error in dxRenderWorld 0. The previous update was however very well ...

Ploppy(Posted 2014) [#41]
Hi wolf, do you get a mav with hw, hybrid or both. In what code do you get a mav using dxRenderworld?? Can you post me a little example please??

Ploppy(Posted 2014) [#42]
A new update to an update...

New worklog entry

Wolf1870(Posted 2014) [#43]
Hello Ploppy, have tried a few test programs:

- test10, test10d, maze > I get in both the error message: memory access violation
- test8, test7 runs in hw and hybrid

The previous update before #38> test10d, maze had working well on Win7 64 bit. :-)

Ploppy(Posted 2014) [#44]
Please tell me on which commands the programs give a mav

Wolf1870(Posted 2014) [#45]
at HW (test10d, maze), the program stops at >dxRenderworld 0<, in hybrid I can not see it, but would have to be the same place

Yue(Posted 2014) [#46]
:(

N_Gnom(Posted 2014) [#47]
Can anyone upload a working sample to test if it runs?

Ploppy(Posted 2014) [#48]
Hi guys,
I have just had the time to test maze.bb and it does the same thing for me, it gives me a MAV. In some ways, it is reassuring because this means that this must be a general bug, and not a machine related one. I must have forgotten to add a few failsafes in my dxrenderworld routines. Sorry about that; now I know what to look for, I will be able to track and fix it. I have no time tonight to do that, but tomorrow I'll be right on it...

N_Gnom(Posted 2014) [#49]
sounds great...we wait for it...its good to know you know the reason.

Ploppy(Posted 2014) [#50]
Okay, I have fixed the renderworld bug, it was a texture assignment problem - I still have to work a bit on this, but this new update should be stable...

N_Gnom(Posted 2014) [#51]
super...it works...but test10d without dwarfes...i can only the terrain see.
Another qutestion.Did you plan to integrate the originally commandset for 2D?
LoadAnimImage and so on für animated sprites.
I would make two games.One 3D and one a simple 2D game.And the full commandset would be useful.

Btw.: Why you donīt make only a hybrid version?
It includes all what we want if you implement some this from blitzmax.(things what such user would have)

So i think updates comes faster and you have more time for other things.

Wolf1870(Posted 2014) [#52]
Hi, Ploppy. maze is not running in Hybrid, no problems in Hybrid and HW with test10d, test8. :-))
small bug: Texturefilter 2 is masked, but the mesh is not displayed correctly.

N_Gnom(Posted 2014) [#53]
maze.bb runs here fine in hybrid.only a maze, no dwarfes.
test8.bb terrain with santas.

Ploppy(Posted 2014) [#54]
Ok, just uploaded again. Please try now - same link as above...

Ploppy(Posted 2014) [#55]
Wow, if I ever had any credibility to begin with I'm losing it fast with all these bugs... ;D Yikes. I can't help thinking of Eric Idle singing 'Always look on the bright side of life' for times like these....

Wolf1870(Posted 2014) [#56]
No Change...
??? BUGS ??? That reminds me of the movie "Starship Troopers". As you can see, what >bugs< can do.... ;-)

N_Gnom(Posted 2014) [#57]
no dwarfes.....i see no dwarfes anythere
ploppy maybe you should make some scrrenshots from the seperate samples...so we can compare.

Guy Fawkes(Posted 2014) [#58]
dxsavemesh() <3 I am almost complete! =D

Ploppy(Posted 2014) [#59]
@N_Gnom
Another qutestion.Did you plan to integrate the originally commandset for 2D?

Yes, I do - for the moment I have taken it out of the B3d original code, as I have to convert a part of it so it is compatible with my own code. I will possibly include the b+ gui code also.

Btw.: Why you donīt make only a hybrid version?

The advantage of having a dll is that it is useable on so many other languages than just in a standalone compiler. Some users for example may wish to incorporate hardwired in their own blitzmax code, for example. I prefer to give people that option. For me it is no extra work doing two versions, as my compiler does all the work for me- all I do is work on my hardwired source and my c++ compiler will compile it twice, one version in a dll and the other within a static library, that becomes integrated into the runtime dll for Hybrid to use.

N_Gnom(Posted 2014) [#60]
okay.
did you know why there are no dwarfes in the samples?

Ploppy(Posted 2014) [#61]
No - that seems very strange - are you sure you unarchived all the zip file, including all the folders? In hybrid, try saving the code below to the same folder as the other tests, and then run it. If the value returned is zero, then the model isn't loading, for some reason...

Graphics3d 800,600,32,2
dwarf=LoadMesh("models\dwarf1.b3d",0)
print dwarf
waitkey

Of course, in hardwired the above code is..

dxGraphics3d 800,600,32,2
dwarf=dxLoadMesh("models\dwarf1.b3d",0)
dxprint dwarf
dxwaitkey

N_Gnom(Posted 2014) [#62]
Result isnīt zero....

Ploppy(Posted 2014) [#63]
Hmmm....

Ploppy(Posted 2014) [#64]
Ok, try
Graphics3d 800,600,32,2
cam=dxCreateCamera(0)
dxMoveEntity cam,0,0,-10
dxRenderworld 1
dxText 0,0,"Dwarf handle is "+dwarf,0,0
dxFlip 1
waitkey

You should see a dwarf model in white....

N_Gnom(Posted 2014) [#65]
without all dxīs

result:

Ploppy(Posted 2014) [#66]
So here, the dwarf is visible.... Can you please try...

HWShaders true
Graphics3d 800,600,32,2
cam=CreateCamera(0)
MoveEntity cam,0,0,-50
Renderworld 1
Text 0,0,"Dwarf handle is "+dwarf,0,0
Flip 1
waitkey

N_Gnom(Posted 2014) [#67]
result--->

Ploppy(Posted 2014) [#68]
Thanks for your help in tracking down the bugs. Ok, last test. This should display a textured dwarf...

Graphics3d 800,600,32,2
tex=dxLoadTexture("images\brick.jpg",1)
Entitytexture dwarf,tex,0,0
cam=CreateCamera(0)
MoveEntity cam,0,0,-50
Renderworld 1
Flip 1
waitkey

N_Gnom(Posted 2014) [#69]
after changing y on moveentity cam to 20
textured dwarf
no problem to help you.
ah you only add texture to entity...sorry i copy actually only all you code...
if that all works i write an own example

btw. is it possible to add(display, because i have such *.b3dīs) more than one texture to a *.b3d?

edit....that helps not in the samples....there are no dwarfes!
maybe i should write an own sample.

Wolf1870(Posted 2014) [#70]
Hi Ploppy. If you change your testprogram, you can also see the Texturefilter Flag 2 error.
Graphics3d 800,600,32,2
tex=LoadTexture("images\brick.jpg",2)
Entitytexture dwarf,tex,0,0
cam=CreateCamera(0)
MoveEntity cam,0,25,-50
While aaa=0
TurnEntity dwarf,0,1,0
RenderWorld 1
Flip 1
If KeyDown(1) Then aaa=1
Wend

N_Gnom(Posted 2014) [#71]
ploppy makes it all.
but i can confirm that.

Ploppy(Posted 2014) [#72]
@Wolf, thanks for noticing that about the alpha flag setting for textures. You were right, it was not showing right, I have now fixed it...

Wolf1870(Posted 2014) [#73]
Ploppy, many thanks! <><><> only a found bug is a good bug <><><>

N_Gnom(Posted 2014) [#74]
thats right..@... you add 2D commands please.for dx9 and dx11.please

Ploppy(Posted 2014) [#75]
Some 2d commands already exist in dx9 mode such as oval, rect, writepixel, copyrect.

However if you refer to non direct x windows, I have yet to do this...

Rick Nasher(Posted 2014) [#76]
BTW Ploppy, I did some checks on the space thingy, results/assumptions here: http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=103301

Ploppy(Posted 2014) [#77]
Ok Rick, an update on your thread...

Guy Fawkes(Posted 2014) [#78]
@Ploppy: Hello! :) Can you please add a parameter to "dxsavemesh()" to save all animations from a loaded B3D model?

Thank You!

~GF

Yue(Posted 2014) [#79]
Bye Windows XP?? :(

Ploppy(Posted 2014) [#80]
No, I don't think so. I just haven't yet reworked that part...

Guy Fawkes(Posted 2014) [#81]
What do you mean "reworked" that part? I don't quite understand.

Ploppy(Posted 2014) [#82]
It means I have to re-look at the initiailisation code for the dxgraphics3d function. This is the part that is letting down xp.

Ploppy(Posted 2014) [#83]
@Yue/Xp Users,
I have just released a special version of hardwired to test where there is an incompatibility issue. I need help to find out exactly where it is not working, so I can target my efforts on where it matters to fix the xp problem. I feel the problem resides in the dxGraphics3d command, so I have modified it to show a series of requester windows for the steps made in this routine. Each window shows a number, please report on this thread the last number displayed in the requester windows with this release. Thanks for your effort... :D

Download xp debug version of hardwired

petimat(Posted 2014) [#84]
@Ploppy,
It stops at the first one.
"Hardwired Error: Test1 then Test2,Test3..."

Ploppy(Posted 2014) [#85]
It is deliberate that it stops at the first one. I have inserted about ten of these requesters into this code. When you have a memory access violation, the remaining requesters will not be displayed as the program will stop directly after any MAV. If I know what was the last requester to come up, I will be able to poinpoint between which two requesters the crash occurs. I will that way be able to study that part of the code and see what stinks. What is the last test number displayed before the crash?

petimat(Posted 2014) [#86]
Allright,I got it...so Test4 is the last one...

Ploppy(Posted 2014) [#87]
Thanks petimat. Not working on it today, will tomorrow after work. May require your help again to once again "home in" on the problem.
cheers...

Ploppy(Posted 2014) [#88]
Thanks petimat. Not working on it today, will tomorrow after work. May require your help again to once again "home in" on the problem.
cheers...

Yue(Posted 2014) [#89]
Opps, still not working here, continuing the same error pointing to Hybrid Graphics3D

Ploppy(Posted 2014) [#90]
Okay Yue/petimat, I think I have cracked it - can you try this...

New worklog entry

petimat(Posted 2014) [#91]
It's working now...I mean it stops at dxRenderWorld now.(MAV)

Ploppy(Posted 2014) [#92]
Great news, thanks 4 that! I will work on dxRenderworld later, I'm at work now - can't code for the moment. But we're definately making a lot of progress...

Yue(Posted 2014) [#93]
still not working here, continuing the same error pointing to Hybrid Graphics3D

Ploppy(Posted 2014) [#94]
Yue, have you tested my xp debug version of hardwired? If so, at what test window is the last one displayed??

Ploppy(Posted 2014) [#95]
@Petimat, I have released a new debug version now for dxRenderworld, same as the last time, you will have a series of different requesters appear - this time they are of three different categories - camera/frame and mesh routines, the requesters are numbered like the last time. Please tell me the detail of the last requester that appears.

Thanks again for your help. Any info is good for me...

xp debug version of hardwired for dxRenderworld

Yue(Posted 2014) [#96]
edit...

Rick Nasher(Posted 2014) [#97]
Not in relation to the current bug hunt, but info nevertheless. ;-)
Feedback on previous HW update and it's effect on our little testprogram right here: Blitz3D <> HardWired conversion issue

Also would be nice if anyone else from round here could confirm my assumptions/test this piece of HW code to see if it does the same for them. Download on top of the thread mentioned above and please use the corrected code by Ploppy later in the thread(listed as: "2751(Interplanetary_travel)9HW2.bb").

My specs: Win7 Ulti X64 SP1, Intel Core 2 Duo T5550 @1.83Ghz, 3GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GS

Ploppy(Posted 2014) [#98]
@Yue
Please try the code below...

DebugLoud
Graphics3D 800,600,32,2

Thanks...

Yue(Posted 2014) [#99]
Ok...
DebugLoud
Graphics3D 800,600,32,2

Return...
Test1...
Test2...
Test3...
Test4...
Error
Runtime Error
Unknown runtme esception...

Ploppy(Posted 2014) [#100]
@Yue, please try this new test again...

xp debug version of hardwired

Muchas gracias

Yue(Posted 2014) [#101]
oK..
Return Test 5 to Test 16 and info : dxGraphics Work, new, error, on exit only button X up Windows and not key Scape.

Ploppy(Posted 2014) [#102]
Does it render an image?

Yue(Posted 2014) [#103]
I do not understand, after passing test 5-16 a message on screen that dxgraphics working, then if I go with the escape key, it does not have any error meustra, but if I try to close the application with the X button bar window title, this error is thrown in the output of the application.

A What do you mean with a picture?

Yue(Posted 2014) [#104]
Ah ok, this is what I see, a turning point.

Vertex on Cube.

petimat(Posted 2014) [#105]
So...Hardwired error at cam routines part1,part2,part7,part8.
(this is for the 'release_xp2')

'release_xp3' result: error at test5,test6,test7,test8,test9,test10.

Ploppy(Posted 2014) [#106]
Thanks guys, I'll look into that tomorrow. It's late here now and I have to work tomorrow.

Ploppy(Posted 2014) [#107]
Btw, Yue the points on the screen are normal. The pointframe/entitypointframe commands instruct hardwired to only draw the vertices. Try another sample to see what that does I suggest...

Ploppy(Posted 2014) [#108]
@Yue/petimat, here is a new test - it will give four requesters this time - please tell me if it works...thanks...

xp debug version of hardwired

petimat(Posted 2014) [#109]
Hardwired error : Cam test 1 , Cam test 2 .

virtlands(Posted 2014) [#110]
Oh my, things are getting complex here,
I received the following errors for release_xp4 (while running on Win8.1 -64-bit)
- - - Function 'dxdebugloudandharsh' not found
- - - Function 'dxusedirectx11' not found

Yue(Posted 2014) [#111]
Bucle Cam Test.. 1 to 4
CTRL + ALT + SUP and EXit

Ploppy(Posted 2014) [#112]
@virtlands - you can of course try these last releases if you like but these special 'debug releases' are particularly aimed at xp machines for the moment to help debug hw's xp capabilities. This is why you have unexpected results..

Guy Fawkes(Posted 2014) [#113]
Ok, so I'm on my VMWare Workstation Windows XP Pro SP2, and I installed DirectX runtime onto my Windows XP on VMWare Workstation, and it gives me this error for "test10d.bb": "Cannot create directx device". then it "super" crashes, with a Red-X icon.

Hope that can be of at least SOME help.

I'll work on testing more tomorrow when I'm awake more.

Panno(Posted 2014) [#114]
Ploopy , do you really mean xp support is it worth?

i mean so much work for an old os . I really think nobody use this in 2-3 years anymoore.

i really think you need to put all the time in the developing for win7 and above.

btw: you can get win7 for small bucks on ebay ...

N_Gnom(Posted 2014) [#115]
i agree with that.
I think xp is a sinking ship and to most of us use 7 or 8.x and in next future 10.
And 7 doesnīt cost so much money.

Ploppy(Posted 2014) [#116]
post deleted due to forum error

Ploppy(Posted 2014) [#117]
Hi guys. In some ways, I do know what you are saying but have a look at this link..., it does show that xp, although old, is far far from being dead.

Besides, I feel I have almost completely solved the xp compatibility problem. At the same time, I am also working on other parts of Hardwired. I may not have published a new release for a while but that doesn't mean I'm not working on it. For the moment, for example I am tightening up my render code even more and working on bringing my dx11 routines more in line with the dx9 part...

Yue(Posted 2014) [#118]
Have a mind of your developer, I congratulate you on that, in which case the unit does the same and they have extensive experience in developing your motor against others who left an XP side.

In this case I think for you is a great opportunity to improve your knowledge and the point is not that old but will continue working.

Greetings.

RemiD(Posted 2014) [#119]
Some stats of OS for desktop/laptop users :
for english language :
USA : http://gs.statcounter.com/#desktop-os-US-monthly-201408-201410-bar
UK : http://gs.statcounter.com/#desktop-os-GB-monthly-201408-201410-bar
CA : http://gs.statcounter.com/#desktop-os-CA-monthly-201408-201410-bar
AU : http://gs.statcounter.com/#desktop-os-AU-monthly-201408-201410-bar

for french language : (it seems you are from France...)
FR : http://gs.statcounter.com/#desktop-os-FR-monthly-201408-201410-bar
CH : http://gs.statcounter.com/#desktop-os-CH-monthly-201408-201410-bar
BE : http://gs.statcounter.com/#desktop-os-BE-monthly-201408-201410-bar

Not sure which language you target...

Also the steam store stats :
http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey (click on OS version)

RGR(Posted 2014) [#120]
DE: http://gs.statcounter.com/#desktop-os-DE-monthly-201408-201410-bar
RU: http://gs.statcounter.com/#desktop-os-RU-monthly-201408-201410-bar
EU: http://gs.statcounter.com/#desktop-os-eu-monthly-201408-201410-bar

Ploppy(Posted 2014) [#121]
Interesting stuff- gotta say I personally thought Vista was rubbish... not surprised the statistics agree... I much prefer xp even if it is older...

Yue(Posted 2014) [#122]
And my question is, will GTA V for Windows XP is that possible ?, Ploppy friend, from your experience of DirectX 9, and 11.

Ploppy(Posted 2014) [#123]
No, I do not think that gtav's shaders will be compatible with dx9, and dx11 is not possible with xp. But hey, I could be wrong about gtav - maybe it will use dx9...

col(Posted 2014) [#124]
DirectX 9.0c for >=xp
DirectX 11.0 for >= vista sp2
DirectX 11.1 for >= win7 sp1
DirectX 11.2 is in win8.1 update

N_Gnom(Posted 2014) [#125]
@ploppy: btw.: can you please add these commands: http://www.blitzforum.de/help/?subcat=15
i know its a german website but the commands on the left side you see is that what i wish...
I need not all commands but the most of it. Loadanimimage, Imagescollide, overlap midhandle rotateimage and so on.For a small jump and run and i would code a fontcreator for hybrid/hardwired.

i hope you can do something.

Yue(Posted 2014) [#126]

DirectX 9.0c for >=xp
DirectX 11.0 for >= vista sp2
DirectX 11.1 for >= win7 sp1
DirectX 11.2 is in win8.1 update

I can not understand very well, that is DirectX libraries that are directly related to the operating system ?, if so does not depend directly on the graphics card ?.

Ploppy(Posted 2014) [#127]
Hardwired compensates for the absence of dx11. If dx11 is not present on a system this will not hinder hardwired from working. That's part of hw's versatility.

Yue(Posted 2014) [#128]
That is, I have an application that run on Windows 7 with DirectX 11, and if the same application's run on another operating system such as Windows 7 and directX 9 automatically run this version of directX ?, or can I for example if I have directX 11 select directX 9?

Rick Nasher(Posted 2014) [#129]
Very noble to support XP. Especially for people on a tight budget that can't afford an upgrade and/or in developing countries. But.. can be a hassle of course.

Rick Nasher(Posted 2014) [#130]
(removed double entry)

Ploppy(Posted 2014) [#131]
I'm doing what I can, but from my point of view it seems xp compatibility is likely to be the least of my problems. Still, I battle on... :D

xlsior(Posted 2014) [#132]
FWIW: The most recent Steam Hardware Survey shows XP use down to 4.06%, which is probably a more realistic demographic for games than stats compiled by general website visits.

http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey

(That said -- If you -can- support XP, it's nice to do so)

Guy Fawkes(Posted 2014) [#133]
Ploppy, how do I remove the 2nd window from popping up? It is quite annoying...

Ploppy(Posted 2014) [#134]
What second window? A big vague you are Mister Fawkes...

N_Gnom(Posted 2014) [#135]
it seems its time to make a forum for hardwired/hybrid so we can ask different questions on different threads

Ploppy(Posted 2014) [#136]
I don't think so - for me hardwired is still my priority - I intend to continue all the way if possible with Hybrid too, but for me Hybrid will always be an nice addition to HW but not vital. For me anything concerning Hybrid can perhaps have an affect on HW or vice-versa so belongs here.

RGR(Posted 2014) [#137]
@Ploppy
What N_Gnom meant is:
It would be an advantage to have an own Forum here or elsewhere (like Blitz Max, Blitz3D, Blitz SDK, Blitz Plus) for Hardwired/Hybrid only.
So each question/problem could be started in a new topic/thread and users and you, Ploppy, can write answers and solutions which fit to the topic.

Other as it now that someone writes something, someone else writes about something else - you write an answer, someone else writes some answers - all in one thread - and you have to look up above to which topic those solutions and answers could belong, was something overseen?, etc ...

Ploppy(Posted 2014) [#138]
Ok, thanks - I se what you mean now N_Gnom. Sorry, I misunderstood.

N_Gnom(Posted 2014) [#139]
Right. Thats what i would say.
And Hybrid is okay....
I only would say we need a forum for all that conversations.
@ploppy: www.one.com is maybe a solution for this.
If you want create place for the users.

I could do this but we must have a name for the domain.

virtlands(Posted 2014) [#140]
Rest in peace, WinXP.

Ploppy(Posted 2014) [#141]
Lol. I still use xp at work and I have to say it doesn't seem retro at all. For my purposes it is still capable of many things including internet based apps and is very responsive.

Yue(Posted 2014) [#142]
I went on to say, no matter how old, what really matters is to continue working, in which case we have consumerism but rather bad. Windows XP is a good operating system and even in my country so I see many site internet service rooms.

Steve Elliott(Posted 2014) [#143]

Rest in peace, WinXP.

XP was one of the best OS's from Microsoft. I still have a little notebook that runs quickly and efficiently on XP.

Matty(Posted 2014) [#144]
Our ERP software at works uses files generated from an XP only program to convert a really old legacy postscript format into something the software can print. At work I specifically have an xp machine sitting unplugged on my desk for those times I need to run it.

Blitzplotter(Posted 2014) [#145]
[quote]Windows XP is a good operating system and even in my country so I see many site internet service rooms.
[\quote] I've still got a reliable XP box that I really only fire up to play with my registered copy of Ultimate Unwrap 3D. I suppose I could contact Mr Bolthouse for a licence transfer, but XP just seems so swift.

N_Gnom(Posted 2014) [#146]
Who is mr bolthouse?Iīve a registered copy of uu3d and it runs fine under windows 7.
@ploppy: what do you think about a forum like hardwired.com or such one?

Ploppy(Posted 2014) [#147]
Hi n_gnom, I'm sorry but another forum doesn't interest me as long as hardwired is in developement. If it does become something functionable and complete I will go that step further and get a site and forum up and running. For the meantime I'm quite happy keeping it simple and sticking with this forum thread, if blitz is happy with hosting this of course.

N_Gnom(Posted 2014) [#148]
but with an own forum we have more flexibility.
if there are many bugs or such things we can open different threads.
this doesnīt go here.
i think, and maybe other peoples, its more handy and you can easiere handle the bugs.
maybe iīm wrong but i think an own forum can help you.
Or you ask the admins here to make an own hardwired/hybrid area.

virtlands(Posted 2014) [#149]
@ploppy:
[For the meantime I'm quite happy keeping it simple and sticking with this forum thread...]

If\when ploppy finishes this complex DirectX stuff for Blitz DLL (or Hybrid) then he can move on to easier tasks,
... such as these :::

(a) double-precision floats, long long INTs (64bit) for Blitz,...
(b) integrate SIMD & Vector instructions (MMX,SSE,SSE2, AVX..) into Blitz
(c) parallel, threaded & atomic programming for Blitz, (OPENMP or other) ... http://openmp.org/wp/openmp-compilers/
(d) improve Blitz with various assembly ( __asm { } ) intrinsics, such as CPUID.
....(most of those intrinsics for Intel, since I don't have AMD)
(e) Finally make the 'help' tab work.

Rick Nasher(Posted 2014) [#150]
Luckely the wishlist isn't that extensive.. ;-)

When the primary goal has been reached (dx9/11) then double prec, x64 and physics would be next on my list, for with that stuff it should be posible to produce some really good stuff already.

Yue(Posted 2014) [#151]
From experience, without programmer or anything, the dream of many an engine is what makes us easier life, such as shadows, physics, prefabricated functions for particle effects, brightness, etc.

Ploppy(Posted 2014) [#152]
New improvements and functions...

New worklog entry

RemiD(Posted 2014) [#153]
@Ploppy>>About terrains with variable level of detail :
the blitz3d terrains work well but i would add a functionality :
->the possibility to choose when to rebuild the terrain (rebuilding a terrain each loop can be slow and is unnecessary if the player has not turned/moved too much...)

As you want...

Ploppy(Posted 2014) [#154]
Hi RemiD, I have big plans for Terrains in general - I just have to get around to it (along with so many other things ;D ). My current terrain routines are more primitive than the blitz native commands as I have not yet programmed the lod part. For the moment, what you see is essentially a full terrain mesh with no vertices removed whatsoever - this means a lot a triangles rendered with each dxRenderworld. I will of course include LOD which will speed up rendering quite a bit without hindering image quality, along with the following...

* A terrain generator - A lightning fast highly configurable procedural algorthim that can create a planet-sized terrain complete with cave entrances and tunnels/caverns, pathways, seas and lakes. This algorithm I already created 5 years ago for a blitz project I never completed or released. It worked REALLY well, I just have to convert it over.

* The ability to scroll terrains.

* Complete my shader scripts in order to be able to use texture splatting on terrains.

* A new super_terrain, which is dynamically updated and 'wrapped' around a planet sized sphere, effectively emulating a planet. The part and detail rendered of this sphere depends on the cam altitude. I had also already created the algorithm for this in the past using blitz and I have to convert this too to c++. I plan to program the terrain generator to generate using 64-bit floats so as to have a HUGE possibility of terrain coverage.

N_Gnom(Posted 2014) [#155]
@ploppy:sample10d is without dwarf.is this correct?

Ploppy(Posted 2014) [#156]
Hybrid, right? I have just tested it on an xp machine and it works fine. Dwarves are showing too. Strange...

N_Gnom(Posted 2014) [#157]
yes hybrid.on win7 only the terrain

petimat(Posted 2014) [#158]
It still causes MAV at Graphics3D() on my system with XP. :(

Rick Nasher(Posted 2014) [#159]
Wow super_terrain with 64bit floats! That just sounds amazingly good Ploppy. That would realy benefit space games.

Now here comes the rain: ran the somewhat larger planetary code I was using as test bed(let's call it SimPlanetary ;-) and found that indeed the Shift-Key thing has been fixed, but:

1. Things still go haywire when it starts(spinning around like crazy), once I manage to stop the spinning by moving around with mouse and arrowkeys it calms down. Perhaps mousecode? I did some experimenting and found that is caused by a line in the main loop and issue disappears when I remove/comment this one out:

dxMoveMouse WIDTH/2,HEIGHT/2

This of course relates to variables in the initializing stuff at top of the code:

Global WIDTH%=dxGraphicsWidth() ; screen width
Global HEIGHT%=dxGraphicsHeight() ; screen height

The line is needed for otherwise the mouse doesn't remain centered.

2. Switching to the spaceship followcam(using S-key) causes things to show from top down and from afar too, instead of that the cam is being put close behind the ship as intended. Will check to see if I can pin point the cause of this one. May have something to do with the model/pivot, for it works ok with the planets(using 1-0 keys).

3. I'm not sure(bit colorblind, so have to check w gf ;-), but I think the wireframe color, wich is used for the orbits is different then in vanilla Blitz3d. As said, I need to investigate bit more.

virtlands(Posted 2014) [#160]
Hi again, I loaded dx11_test.bb into both vanilla Blitz3D, and Hybrid Blitz3D

(a) ORdinary Blitz3d runs dx11_test fine.
(b) Hybrid Blitz3d runs fine, until it causes MAV on simple 'PRINT' command.

N_Gnom(Posted 2014) [#161]
okay.....iīll break the break.....any news ploppy?

Rick Nasher(Posted 2014) [#162]
Was just thinking the same here.. Ploppy, all fine? We're missing your inspiring updates.

Yue(Posted 2014) [#163]

Ploppy(Posted 2014) [#164]
Sorry, nothing for the moment. I'm still stitching it all together...

RLpacifist(Posted 2014) [#165]
Hey everybody!

First off, a big thank you to Ploppy already. This project is exactly what I've been hoping for. Your work is highly appreciated and inspiring! After monitoring the progress here for quite a while now, i finally started setting up my first tryout-environment utilizing BlitzMax. I have come across the following issues, which might be known already. See list below:

Issues with Hardwired DX11 @ BlitzMax :
#01 command dxText - doesn't work, works on DX9
#02 command dxCameraClsColor - doesn't work, neither on DX9
#03 command dxWireFrame - doesn't work, works on DX9
#04 lighting mismatches - not present on DX9 => See Hybrid example below:
#05 [solved] SuperStrict not applicable - missing type specifiers @ hardwiredlib.bmx

Rick Nasher(Posted 2014) [#166]
No problem, please pardon our eagerness. We'll be patient..(not the English one, cos that's an enduring one) ;-)

Ploppy(Posted 2014) [#167]
I know what you mean. That film is meant 2 be a classic but it bored me 2 tears. I do love Ralph Fiennes though. Totally talented that guy.

As for Hardwired, I wish I could release more but I can only work on it sometimes. For example I am writing this post using my mobile on a coffee break at work. And of course sometimes hardwired is not in any state for a new build. But a new release is often on my mind. Still much to do.

BlitzSupport(Posted 2014) [#168]
@Angry_Lobster -- any errors in hardwiredlib.bmx will be my fault. I'll try and take a look soon-ish!

BlitzSupport(Posted 2014) [#169]
OK, this should be SuperStrict-compatible now... hopefully! Ploppy (and users before Ploppy updates), just replace your 'blitzmax' folder with this, though (for users) the contents need to be moved up into the main folder to actually work.

http://www.hi-toro.com/blitz/hwbmx.zip

RLpacifist(Posted 2014) [#170]
@BlitzSupport: Thanks for the fast update. Will check it out as soon as I've time on hand, somewhen later this week.

Edit #1:
Ok, finally tested it and yes it does work as intended.

By the way, I just changed my nickname from Angry_Lobster to the one I'm actually using on other platforms, too.

Edit #2:
Uploaded the BlitzMax tryout environment on GitHub, if anyone is interested. There will be added more eventually: https://github.com/RLpacifist/HW-BMAX_tryout

N_Gnom(Posted 2014) [#171]
I have some knownledge in dx9/dx11.Ploppy maybe you can send me youre sourcecode and i can help you in some things.

RLpacifist(Posted 2014) [#172]
Found a new issue when 'parenting' entities. It doesn't work correctly, neither on hardwired.dll nor on Hybrid. See the following example code and run it in regular B3D and Hybrid: https://gist.github.com/RLpacifist/5648592681bf0d99dae6

Or am I missing out something about parenting here?

Minor issue: Please change the app title of Hybrid with the next update. At the moment it still says 'Blitz 3D', which is quite confusing when working with both IDEs at the same time. ;)

Ploppy(Posted 2014) [#173]
Hello RLpacifist,
Am glad you like hardwired. It is still very much in production, lots and lots left to do, and lots of bugs yet to kill off.

As for Hybrid's app title, I am aware of that, but for the moment I cannot do anything about that. That is why you see no change. As it happens, at the moment I am working on the conversion of Mark Sibly's original source code from VS6 to VS2010, which is the version of visual studio I have decided to use to compile hardwired. At the moment I am not touching hardwired, and haven't been for a while. I wish to completely and correctly convert the b3d source before binding it all together in the same solution with my hardwired source. I have already succeeded with the majority of the code - the launcher and compiler exe, the linker dll and runtime dll all seem to work fine. But I have yet to correctly recompile the ide successfully recode the ide and the debugger which is all I have left; for the moment I get unexpected results and file-sizes. Once I do get it all to work, I will be able to change the apptitle, and much more as it happens.

@N_Gnom - For my hardwired source I'm okay, thanks for the offer, however if you can get your head around getting the b3d ide source converted to vs2010 it would be a great hand. I think there may be others that would like to see a fully converted b3d source code with no depreciated code too. In any case, once I do get that bit done, I will release that separately as well, for anyone that may be interested in making thier own visual studio 2010/2013 compitible version of b3d.

RLpacifist(Posted 2014) [#174]
Hey Ploppy,

please don't get me wrong. I didn't mean to 'hurry' you in any way. I just started to finally work with hardwired after watching it progress, since Rick has posted about this on the german forum. I thought sharing the found issues right away was a good idea. However, I will rather compile them into that file on Github and not post any single issue I'll come across anymore.

In fact, the DX9 pipeline seems to be quite stable and I'm working on my own 'parenting' methods currently, which probably might even become a permanent solution, if I ever get it working properly. :P

Ploppy(Posted 2014) [#175]
Yep. I agree - dx9 is pretty stable, and so much more friendly than dx11. The advantage of dx9 is you can take advantage of its default pipeline shaders. With dx11 you're obliged to supply your own shaders.

Ploppy(Posted 2014) [#176]
Some news here concerning B3D source!

RustyKristi(Posted 2014) [#177]
This is another awesome and exciting project you have made with Blitz3D!!!

I salute you :D

Ploppy(Posted 2014) [#178]
Thanks Rusty for your support. It's thanks to the other project (coversion of Blitz3d source into VS2010 compatible version), that I am able to present a new version of hardwired today....

New worklog entry

Ploppy(Posted 2014) [#179]
Have just updated last worklog because I hadn't properly uploaded yesterday. Today, it works..!

Hybrid's new look...

New worklog entry

BlitzSupport(Posted 2014) [#180]
Ow! Ow! Ow!

virtlands(Posted 2014) [#181]
Why did you choose that burgundy color?

Guy Fawkes(Posted 2014) [#182]
Please allow for us to change that color in the Blitz Hybrid GUI.

RGR(Posted 2014) [#183]
Please allow .... LOL

Well guys. Pay 1$ to any person you want to make happy and I tell you how to change the crazy color ;-)

Load the ide.exe from Hybrid/bin into a HexEditor
Goto Offset $3CA2 and change 68 20 3D to the color you wish - i.e. FF EF DF (beige)
Goto Offset $3DAB and change 58 10 2D to any color you like - i.e. EF DF CF

That will help for the start ...

Ploppy(Posted 2014) [#184]
OMG!

Why did you choose that burgundy color
??? Why not??
Please allow...LOL
?

Can't believe it's that bad. But then, I guess if I had chosen Oscar green or Big-Bird yellow, someone would have probably said they didn't like it too. Guess it's a matter of personal taste, or due to the opinion of the general populous, my lack of taste. My main objective of course was to again differenciate it from the b3d colour scheme - think I succeeded there, huh?

Just to please, I will change the BG colour to another one, hope this will do. If not, please provide me with feedback with your choice from the rainbow, and I'll see what I can do. In any case, I'll see if I can add a colour requester to the IDE, so you can change it to any colour you so desire.

Ploppy(Posted 2014) [#185]
For anyone that is interested, I am in the midst of creating two new base types for the Hybrid compiler, the 64-bit int type and the 64-bit float. I have included my work in progress in the latest release. It is not yet complete, but it is getting there - I have made good progress with it, since I only started on that yesterday. For the moment, assigning values seems to work fine, and printing the values works also, but conversion between types and expressions I have yet to complete. In any case, if anyone wishes to dabble with my effort so far, feel free to do so, but don't be surprised to have some unexpected results with these types though for the moment (including possible MAV's, you have been warned)...

64-bit ints use the symbol @
64-bit floaters use the symbol Ģ

Example:
Graphics3d 800,600,32,2
a@=5
Print a
Waitkey
End

I admit, not very inspirational for the moment but should be a good addition once completed. I was thinking also about addding a unicode string type also, any opinions?? Would anyone find that useful??

xlsior(Posted 2014) [#186]
??? Why not??

Serious question: Are you colorblind by any chance? :-?

Ploppy(Posted 2014) [#187]
I guess so.

Panno(Posted 2014) [#188]
Blue , green are the prefered colors for the most man.
Burgund colors is prefered by the rest < 10%.
This is for cloth , not for IDE or car :)

Ploppy(Posted 2014) [#189]
Gotcha

RLpacifist(Posted 2014) [#190]
Well, the color is ok as it is now, in my opinion. I do prefer white as background, but this is close to what B3D looks like, yet different enough too realize which IDE you're on instantly.

Looks like you haven't inlcuded the updated version of \release\blitzmax\hardwiredlib.bmx. Have a look a few post above, there BlitzSupport has posted an updated version:

OK, this should be SuperStrict-compatible now... hopefully! Ploppy (and users before Ploppy updates), just replace your 'blitzmax' folder with this, though (for users) the contents need to be moved up into the main folder to actually work.

http://www.hi-toro.com/blitz/hwbmx.zip

RGR(Posted 2014) [#191]
Why don't you use & for double integers and # for double float? [EDIT] Looking into the PowerBasic Manual I forgot that # is already used in Blitz for Floats.
It is used f. i. by PowerBasic since ages that way.

I have never seen a keyboard in Germany with an english pound sign (my Roccat and Logitech don't have it) and in Spain, Italy, USA, France(?), Russia you will not need that sign also. So how many strokes shall one hit to finaly have this sign on screen with a (for us) *normal* keyboard?
@ is in Basic languages used as address of a variable or array when used in front of a name ...

Why don't you use things which are common and used for a reason? Those guys in the past have already spent hours to find reasonable solutions. Just use them - they are not copyrighted and cost no time.
You do not have to reinvent a NEW wheel every time you introduce new things. ;-)
My view ...

Ploppy(Posted 2014) [#192]
Hi there, & is already used for binary and , and # for 16-bit floats. I didn't choose these keys for my own enjoyment, but to avoid confusion; to keep a clear distinction. I am open to other suggestions of course for alternatives but for me & and # are out of the question.

I do after all want to keep my wheel nice and round. ;)

RGR(Posted 2014) [#193]
Well ... # is in Blitz used as normal floats - so you could use ## for double?
Anyway - the pound sign will rise a lot of questions
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/933322

RGR(Posted 2014) [#194]
btw. the best solution I found in Basic Languages is the PureBasic system.
.f = float .d double .b byte .w word .i integer .l long .q quad .s string ... straight and clean solution ;-)

RLpacifist(Posted 2014) [#195]
Has anyone already tested the new hardwired build? It won't run any code for me (Win7 x64). The build-progress screen briefly pops up and then nothing happens.

Maybe something going wrong on my end?

Ploppy(Posted 2014) [#196]
I have to admit I've tested hybrid but not hardwired before releasing. That worked for me.

Ploppy(Posted 2014) [#197]
I'll change the Ģ to something else then. ## seems quite appealing and fits in niceley. If I can pull it off, I will use that - being 2 characters long may require a bit more re-programming. Thanks for the idea RGR...

RLpacifist(Posted 2014) [#198]
Ah, sorry! I meant to say Hybrid. This is not working for me. Haven't tested hardwired yet. Not on my 'native' computer at the moment, though.

RGR(Posted 2014) [#199]
Just an idea ... in case ## would fit for double floats ... %% would do the job with double ints?

Ploppy(Posted 2014) [#200]
Yes, I thought of the same thing for 64bit ints - it runs along the same logic as ## and would make it tidy.

If I can manage to reprogram 2 character wide symbols, I will do so. And if I do decide to create a unicode string type I think I will try for $$. Again, runs along the same logic.

In any case, I will change the Ģ...

RGR(Posted 2014) [#201]
That sounds ok :-)

Just as info:
I plan to use Hardwired with PureBasic some day and I would have to convert Samples to the PB-Format (mentioned above) anyway. But that depends on if and how HW will have a native shadow system and how my shaders i.e. a TerrainShader with 11 Textures and autoslopes (working fine in 3DRad) can be build into HW Games.

Ploppy(Posted 2014) [#202]
I hope I do get that far with hardwired. As always, I guarantee nothing, most of what I succeeded in doing so far is thanks to a lot of research and testing. I have learnt a lot since a year, and I don't know where hw wil take me and what the limits of my abilities are. So I cannot tell you if I will be able to finish a fully functional shadow system but it would be cool anyway and I will try. :)

Ploppy(Posted 2014) [#203]
@RLpacifist, it is quite possible you do not have the most up-to-date version of directx9 on your system. This is a quite common problem and is not the first time that someone on this forum has had this surprise. Check out the microsoft download page, run the directx updater from there, and try Hybrid again. I am not saying that Hybrid will work, but there is a good chance it will...

https://support.microsoft.com/kb/179113/en-us

As for the updated version of the blizmax files donated by BlitzSupport, I will include them in my new updates....

Steve Elliott(Posted 2014) [#204]

Can't believe it's that bad.

Really?? Crazy colours.

Ploppy(Posted 2014) [#205]
That's why I have now added a colour requester to the IDE now, so we can all move on and get over the fact I have no taste in colour ;-D

New worklog entry

Steve Elliott(Posted 2014) [#206]
Haha, at least you tried to be different!

xlsior(Posted 2014) [#207]
64-bit floaters use the symbol Ģ

That would be a major inconvenience to anyone outside of the UK and some former British colonies -- the majority of the world doesn't have that key on their keyboard, and almost no one would have any idea on how to type that character.

(The US/International keyboard layout is by far the most popular layout around the world... Even some countries that do have an 'official' localized version don't always use them: In the Netherlands for example you rarely come across the alleged Dutch keyboard layout, almost everyone uses the US standard one there, especially on laptops.)

Rick Nasher(Posted 2014) [#208]
Hi Ploppy. The 64bit stuff sounds really good. ## will do nicely, and also seems very logical captain.
I *love* the color scheme, but then again: I really am a bit colorblind :-)
Please don't change the background to white or somth bright cos the dark blue-ish is very relaxing to my eyes(have a sensitive eye condition, have to turn brightness to low, otherwise my eyes will suffer).

A color selector would be very nice to please everyone's taste.
If at all possible I would really appreciate if the borders where color customizable too, cos they hurt my eyes if too bright. I'm avoiding bright objects. For that same reason I have to refrain from the iDeal IDE, even though I like it's features very much.

[EDIT: now I've just turned brightnes up to check the colors. It's more of a purpleish then blue. At first I didn't see the difference. LOL ]

RLpacifist(Posted 2014) [#209]
@RLpacifist, it is quite possible you do not have the most up-to-date version of directx9 on your system.

Haha, now I feel embarrassed. In fact, there was no DX9 installed on that particular machine. I guess I'm getting old, after all I turned 30 just today.

However, sorry for the confusion and thanks for the update. CameraClsColor does work now.

Ploppy(Posted 2014) [#210]
No problem. Glad it works for you...

Happy birthday by the way...

RLpacifist(Posted 2014) [#211]
Thanks!

Well, seems like DX11 will crash on RenderWorld(), both on Hardwired and on Hybrid. I even ran a DX11 benchmark software this time, in order to find out whether or not it's a local issue only.

N_Gnom(Posted 2015) [#212]
well.....is hardwired/hybrid dead?

videz(Posted 2015) [#213]
I think not, Ploppy's last update was just couple of weeks ago:

http://www.blitzbasic.com/logs/userlog.php?user=13255&log=1897

I wish Hardwired will just be a complete source update on the whole thing, stripping off the DX7 and replacing it with the new DX9/DX11 changes

So we can actually call it Hardwired.. or Hardcoded ;-)

Ploppy(Posted 2015) [#214]
It's not dead, not at all - it's just I have a lot on my plate at the moment. I do what I can when I can. I still work on it but it is not in any releasable state for the moment. But I do totally understand where you're coming from. When it first came out, Hardwired was progressing at a much faster pace. For the moment I cannot help that...

Rick Nasher(Posted 2015) [#215]
Eager beavers around here Ploppy. lol
Of course people seen a lot of promising projects go dead, so naturally people start to panic a bit when not hearing from you for a while(me including). :-)

But this is a massive project so given the leaps you have made recently one can expect a bit of time is required to rearrange a few things, plus trying to maintain a normal family life can be a though juggling act.

Cos no matter how understanding your other half may be, eventually they start complaining when not spending enough time with them. (speaking out of experience) ;-)

Panno(Posted 2015) [#216]
Iam not in Panik !

HELP Ploppy to make it Awesome !

Ploppy(Posted 2015) [#217]
I must be the biggest fan of hw naturally and I would like to see a workable version more than anyone else. Alas, it is not that simple. This does take time, and I do want to make it good, fast and especially bug-free. The size and complexity of my code requires a lot of my time; time which for the moment I cannot devote. It is not so much family commitments but my own workload in my job that hinders me in advancing hw quicker than it us going.

Rick Nasher(Posted 2015) [#218]
I know that feeling all too well. Work work work. Was even thinking bout working less, but can't afford it. Anyway that's life. Hang in there buddy.

Ploppy(Posted 2015) [#219]
Little request for anyone good at logos, anyone got a good idea for a logo and icon for Hybrid? I'm not great at that kind of stuff, and I don't devote much time to it before losing patience. All I need is something clear and appealing to the eye, I'm not too fussy and it doesn't have to be extravagant. If I get no responses I'll make something up myself but probably won't be great.

Cheers...

RLpacifist(Posted 2015) [#220]
I'll give it a go, Ploppy. May take until weekend, though.

videz(Posted 2015) [#221]
No problem. I'll try to send you one Ploppy.

Schlachtwerk(Posted 2015) [#222]
Logo Test 1

Schlachtwerk(Posted 2015) [#223]
Logo Test 2

Schlachtwerk(Posted 2015) [#224]

Derron(Posted 2015) [#225]
The font type is really nice ... but you might tinker a bit on the interconnections between "HY" and "_BR" - mabye get rid of the "each character is a single char" approach (manual "space adjustment" for Y and R wont be enough,as the "-" portions of H and R cannot get extended into Y or B to create some kind of ligature - this would only work with I or D as they contain these long uncurved portions at their sides).

Also the "3d bevel" might be a bit too much for the todays logos (you know ...flat, up to no shadings etc). In #1 it fits really much (steampunk) but for #2 and #3 it looks kind of dated (but I am still fan of bevel ... for years now :p).

Should "hybrid" resemble something? If yes, than the logos should try to catch that. For now that is not a "logo" but a title image (imho). Maybe you should mix together multiple styles - a "hybrid of the styles". Organic-Mechanic, Analog-Digital, DX7-DX9, old-new, steampunk ...

But hey, just keep up bringing in ideas - I like the anachronistic texture of logo test #1.

bye
Ron

RGR(Posted 2015) [#226]
Derron wrote: but you might tinker a bit on the interconnections between "HY" and "_BR"
and Bla Blubber Blub

No - you shouldn't - it looks exact right as it is!

Ploppy(Posted 2015) [#227]
I like 1 and 3 both as much - not so much n°2. In any case, thanks for the effort. Since RLpacifist and videz would like to try also, and if they still want to, I will leave this request open for the moment. I suggest that after any and all logo contributions have been made after perhaps a week that we vote on it for the chosen logo. The logo that will be chosen will of course be credited in Hybrid. Me personally, I am quite fine with the ones that schlachtwerk has given but I'd like to give others a chance.

I would however like to restate that I am looking for an icon too. The logos look great, but a icon version will be needed too. An icon is square-shaped by nature, and I wish to use that for the laucher's exe.

Like I said earlier, no need to go to great lengths with your logo, just something that catches the eye would be great.

Nice stuff schlachtwerk, thanks for your kind help.

Ploppy(Posted 2015) [#228]
New worklog entry

Schlachtwerk(Posted 2015) [#229]
I will try another Versions, but my PC is crashed an Windows is dead :(.

Schlachtwerk(Posted 2015) [#230]
Other PC and a new Version ^^

Schlachtwerk(Posted 2015) [#231]

videz(Posted 2015) [#232]
Here you go Ploppy, my logo entry and assistance to you. :-)

Steve Elliott(Posted 2015) [#233]
I like the one Schlachtwerk made using the classic Blitz blue-green colours. I agree with Derron that the Y and R should be spaced further apart - the same distance apart as the other letters. Plus every letter bar the y is in uppercase. It should be Y not y.

Ploppy(Posted 2015) [#234]
Still need an icon, guys...

Derron(Posted 2015) [#235]
As I modeled my wedding rings for a wallpaper I still had this nice titanium material (I think you would not like to have a "golden" logo :p).

Splashscreen:

Icon (maybe too dark - this depends on the background):

Icon (brighter):

If you want to modify the thingies: here is the .blend-file
On Layer 1 is the "splashscreen", on Layer 2 the "icon" (for the bright icon I enabled "ambient occlusion" which should be disabled for the splashscreen render)

Feel free to modify the blend file and add gradients/colors or whatever to it.

bye
Ron

Ploppy(Posted 2015) [#236]
Nice. Thanks Ron

RLpacifist(Posted 2015) [#237]
Nice stuff up there already.

Here's what I can offer:

---edit---

Here's a Windows icon file: http://parsor.de/hybrid_full.ico

---edit---

I forgot to say I would of course help you with that graphics, no matter what design you're going to choose.

Rick Nasher(Posted 2015) [#238]
Perhaps something that merges the capabilities such as:

But then bit more inspired and of higher quality?

N_Gnom(Posted 2015) [#239]
I like derrons set.
Rick i think you last icon is a little bit overload.
Maybe, and if i have time, i will spend some time for an own work.
A simple "H" should be enough.With some eyecandy gimmcks.

Derron(Posted 2015) [#240]
@N_Gnom

If you like mine, feel free to download the blend file and adjust the colors / materials to your needs - I think the icons need a more vibrant color set, as this is the common way in desktop icon style BEFORE the 2D-flat-metro-era.

A splash screen could then use whatever it likes (dark, bright ...).

BTW I used Blender 2.72 but it should work on older releases too (and of course in 2.73+).

bye
Ron

Ploppy(Posted 2015) [#241]
New thread!