MaxIDE 64 - OS X

Community Forums/Showcase/MaxIDE 64 - OS X

Brucey(Posted 2014) [#1]
Good day, fellow coders.

After some more soul-destroying bug squashing, I now appear to have a rather more stable version of OS X MaxIDE running in native 64-bit. Yay! :-p

If someone would like to test it and let me know if they have any issues with it, I'd be most grateful.

I've given it a light thrashing, testing debugging, options windows, running, erroring, and so-on, and have yet to make it crash - which is certainly a promising position to be in. But of course in my experience, "users" generally have more luck breaking things than I do ;-)

You can download it here : MaxIDE64_osx.zip 782KB

Unzip, and drop the app into your BlitzMax folder. Double-click to run :-)

I do urge a bit of caution for now, and perhaps not use it with anything very important - just in case.

P.S - if you ever have a crazy notion of casting pointers to int just because it might make your BlitzMax code look more pretty... don't ! Really... it's not a good idea in the long run. :-p

Hotshot2005(Posted 2014) [#2]
Hey Brucey...

will be 64BIT BlitzMax for Window 7? I know it is for OS X but I just wondering :)

Brucey(Posted 2014) [#3]
will be 64BIT BlitzMax for Window 7?

At some point we'll have 64-bit native Windows binaries, yes.

AdamStrange(Posted 2014) [#4]
ok, initial test. is it runs fine :)

JoshK(Posted 2014) [#5]
Seems to work nicely, debugger too.

How are you handling stuff that C does not support, like global variables within functions?

How are you going to handle debugging BlitzMax apps compiled with the C compiler?

Brucey(Posted 2014) [#6]
How are you handling stuff that C does not support, like global variables within functions?

They are static variables within the C file. The compiler determines what is accessible to specific code at compile time.

How are you going to handle debugging BlitzMax apps compiled with the C compiler?

This is on the TODO list. Hopefully it will work in the same way as it currently does - as I don't want to have to change anything. Call me lazy, if you will.

Who was John Galt?(Posted 2014) [#7]
An exciting development! Keep up the good work.