Star Rogue Editor

Community Forums/Showcase/Star Rogue Editor

*(Posted 2014) [#1]
This is a Early work in progress alpha shot of the Star Rogue Editor :)

This is totally coded in monkey and the GUI module is what I'm currently working on along with the editor, one added bonus is it works 100% on mobiles and tablets too :) (that being important as I can use me tablets anywhere but coding time is limited by real life ATM)

Completed things are :
1)Suns - I can now create, colour, name, and give them a description :)
2)Jumpgates - they can now be placed, named, I can link them to other systems etc ;)
3)Tradelanes - I can now drag out tradelanes for any systems in the game that have them
4)Planets - they are also in there and I can make them dockable etc
5)Space stations - these are also in there for the masses :)

More soon...

Blitzplotter(Posted 2014) [#2]
Looking good EdzUp!

*(Posted 2014) [#3]
Thanks its totally graphics based so it can be ported to any platform I want so when its complete I will use it for years to come.

Loads of ya are probably wondering why now to start on Star Rogue well ya probably not but the past five or so years I have been with Graveyard Dogs an event that didn't really see us releasing tons of titles but it was an event none the less. Well SR will be a EdzUp title released by me to the masses because its a game I love making it will get completed no matter what, starflight 2000 took me a solid year writing that now I have kids etc progress is much slower but still moving forwards and this time using monkey and minib3d :)

Once the editor is complete I can then get stuff mapped out and the loader for the game then get a new demo out :)

RemiD(Posted 2014) [#4]
If it is functional that's what matters for a map/zone editor...

So you plan to position/rotate each component of each solar system manually ?
If yes you will need a lot of motivation and energy and time !

Having played Freelancer, here are some suggestions :
->possibility to build a custom spaceship with parts and all parts can be compatible with all "control rooms" (i don't know you call this part in a spaceship)
->possibility to find resources and spaceship parts in all areas.
->possibility to work for different groups and depending on who you attack/defend your reputation is modified in each group and some group are neutral or friendly or enemy.
->possibility to detect enemies and avoid combat.

Good luck for the next steps.

*(Posted 2014) [#5]
If it is functional that's what matters for a map/zone editor...

So you plan to position/rotate each component of each solar system manually ?

Yes I have a system! In place so jumpgates face into systems, tradelanes match the line of the lane and stations are placed according to the seed of the system :)

If yes you will need a lot of motivation and energy and time !

Not really as simply its placement and the computer decided lots of the system

Having played Freelancer, here are some suggestions :
->possibility to build a custom spaceship with parts and all parts can be compatible with all "control rooms" (i don't know you call this part in a spaceship)

Modular ships sound good will look into it :)

->possibility to find resources and spaceship parts in all areas.

That's what wrecks are for :)

->possibility to work for different groups and depending on who you attack/defend your reputation is modified in each group and some group are neutral or friendly or enemy.

Pirates and other organisations frown on any attack on them or their allies but love you to attack their enemies :)

->possibility to detect enemies and avoid combat.
Good luck for the next steps.

Like in freelancer some pilots aren't stupid to attack a battleship or an experienced pilot, this is different from Frontier where your in a battle ship with more shields and guns than the imperial navy put together and they still attack with a kestrel airfighter without a gun and just say "ha ha" when you tell them to surrender. Its those berks that just register a millisecond flicker on there shielding when they hit it that make me like the Freelancer way of things :)

*(Posted 2014) [#6]
Now we have tradelanes :D

Yeah these lanes can just be dragged out and set in the system meaning that it allows rapid system creation for the whole game :D

Heres a piccy

Next up will be Space stations :D

*(Posted 2014) [#7]
Well a lot has happened this past week these are as follows; :)

1) The editor is about 60% complete now, I have to finish the Wrecks, Danger Zones and Specials data sheets along with the load/save system and Base System information screens then the editor will be completed. After that I will compile for Android and start creating :). Also I have to complete the edit system so I can edit what is in there already :)

2) EdzUp Framework was born, yeah I got bored including loads of files so I merged everything into a simple Framework now I can do it all from simple commands that are all in the same place. All these commands are also scaled to all resolutions so when you create a game you can be sure it will look the same on ANY resolution :) (might have to make sure its got a 4:3 check in there somewhere ;) )

3) GUI system is getting there even more this will be part of the edzup framework when its complete or I might do it as a separate module, now we have basic text entry and numeric entry this brings up the keyboard on Android/iOS systems.

My Framework allows for scaling and rotation (like everyone elses frameworks ;) ) mine takes commands like Max with Framework.Scale and Framework.Rotation this then effects all the drawing commands until you set a new scale or rotation I thought this way was easier than specifying drawing scales every draw command dont get me wrong there are commands in there for that too but I thought this was easier ;)

More soon...

*(Posted 2014) [#8]
I have finally completed the editor so I'm moving on to getting the game complete, I have looked at the monkey source again (I have a unity version too) and have hacked together a workaround to the ship problem. I do like the monkey rendering of Star Rogue better as it looks more natural but its still early days so we will have to see :)

Blitzplotter(Posted 2014) [#9]
Well done on completing the editor, I'm terrible for letting my imagination keep creating requirements creep.....

*(Posted 2014) [#10]
Thanks its taken a while but I can make systems anywhere now :)