Rameses Materials

Community Forums/Showcase/Rameses Materials

AdamStrange(Posted 2014) [#1]
Here are some of the different effects I am now getting with the new shaders I've been working on.

Currently I have 23 separate shaders covering everything from fabric, metal fluids, etc. Some are animated, some not. Some full UV and some Flat - and some a mixture of both. each material has up to 3 setting to play with, along with settings form reflect/shine/fade and smooth.

So without any bitmaps, you have quite a range of material effects:
First we have a default sphere object with random mapping and colours

Give it a coat of red, and add some shine:

and finally smooth it out a bit:

And now for the materials themselves:

And flat with UV applied:

AdamStrange(Posted 2014) [#2]
More details later :)

Yue(Posted 2014) [#3]
Very Nice!!

AdamStrange(Posted 2014) [#4]
Thanks Yue, I needed to get them finished before working on bones and IK

RemiD(Posted 2014) [#5]
If you keep trying, with the things you have already managed to do, i foresee a good game in the future.

Nice renders. :)

AdamStrange(Posted 2014) [#6]
Thanks RemiD. Still fighting with the shaders at the moment. The reflected light is still not right :(

I'll keep working away at is until it is though. There are such a lot of strange kludges I've used to get it to where it's at. I'm sidestepping a lot of weird 3d stuff to get the effects.

What is interesting is the journey:
1. You start off with an idea for a game
2. then find out you need x and y tools
3. Then find the tools you have won't work (unless you spend loads of money - and usually have to bring in something like Unity).
4. write some tools
5. start a game, which now needs z.
6. augment tools to implement z
7. find out the best way is then to improve tools to support directly everything you need in a simple way.

and on it goes... hehehe

RemiD(Posted 2014) [#7]

What is interesting is the journey:
1. You start off with an idea for a game
2. then find out you need x and y tools
3. Then find the tools you have won't work (unless you spend loads of money - and usually have to bring in something like Unity).
4. write some tools
5. start a game, which now needs z.
6. augment tools to implement z
7. find out the best way is then to improve tools to support directly everything you need in a simple way.

I would add :
3.5. you read some explanations and code examples to achieve a specific result but sometimes it is not clear enough or accurate enough or fast enough or is erroneous and buggy.
8. define reasonable components, functionalities, graphics for your app/game and a step by step plan to make progress so that you will finish the app/game soon enough and not die before you finish it (if you keep adding improvements)

AdamStrange(Posted 2014) [#8]
[quote8. define reasonable components, functionalities, graphics for your app/game and a step by step plan to make progress so that you will finish the app/game soon enough and not die before you finish it (if you keep adding improvements) [/quote]
yep, that last one is a killer. Feature creep...

Rameses and intended features is odd, as I wanted to have things like bones, but didn't need them. so didn't do anything about it.
I Never intended to have UV, but started to need it. If you have UV then you can use it in shaders. hence Materials.
If you have materials in your game, then it is best to have a tool where you can set them up correctly
And so it goes... :( I've still got work to do on the texture UI, and possibly other additions to the shade mechanics, but at least an end is in sight there :)

AdamStrange(Posted 2014) [#9]
The material editor is now finished:

Materials show an image of what the base material looks like including live colour updates:

With a material browser (256 available entries) too:

RemiD(Posted 2014) [#10]
I like the appearance of your GUI.
If you continue like this you will create a complete game engine.

AdamStrange(Posted 2014) [#11]
The GUI is completely user definable. There is a core (default operation) for stuff like boxes, text, and of course full user interaction. Rameses has about 100 custom controls defined for it.

The OpenGL view is programmed to be used in edit mode, or in pure 3d mode, so anything you create will look exactly the same in a finished game - you just need to use the generic base code.

I've got 2 different particle systems as well, but I think I'm going to keep the particle stuff in a separate app as I have already finished an editor for it. The main particles are also soft - so there are no hard edges. The editor also shares the same GUI look as Rameses.

You can see Avares (particle editor) entry here:
http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=101894#1216920

Here's a couple of shots from the post: