DreamsSoftGames presents Match 3 Revolution

Community Forums/Showcase/DreamsSoftGames presents Match 3 Revolution

Luis de la Cruz(Posted 2014) [#1]

Luis de la Cruz(Posted 2014) [#2]

Luis de la Cruz(Posted 2014) [#3]
Hi, I'm working on my last game "Match 3 Revolution". It’s an original Match 3/ Marble Popper game with physics. It aims to bring some freshness and originality in this genre. It is aimed at casual game portals.

Currently the game is in the development phase (version 0.5). Still a few months of development to polish some issues and include all levels.

Its main features are:
- Match 3/Marble Pooper game with physics
- 100 Levels of Unique Gameplay
- Original game modes: clicking a ball, drawing a line and dropping a ball.
- Supercharge with combos
- A lot of power-ups (electroball, fireball, megabomb, fusionball, missiles,…)
- Top 50 Online World Ranking in every level
- Original music

You can see an HD youtube video gameplay:

degac(Posted 2014) [#4]
Wow!
Nice graphic, nice gameplay
A bit confusionary at a first sight!
Maybe starting levels are more 'quiet' I hope!

Blitz3d? What physic engine is used?

nb: change the name, honestly it's horrible. You need to find something more attractive (ie: no simple balls but animals or jewels or - I dont' know :P ... and link this to the title!)

big10p(Posted 2014) [#5]
Looks great, especially for something still in beta. That cauldron/skull level is crying out to have the balls changed to eyeballs. ;)

Luis de la Cruz(Posted 2014) [#6]
Hi, thanks, degac.

Starting levels will be more quiet and then increasing difficulty.

Engine is Blitz3d with EASYTOK physic engine based in tokamak library.

The purpose of the name is basically attract all casual gamers who play games match3 or marble popper. I want to show a fun variety of this genre so exploited.

@big10p: great idea: eyeballs! I think about it for the final version.

Ploppy(Posted 2014) [#7]
How many are you working on this project? it is very well put together, I'm very impressed (and a bit jealous). It all looks very nicely polished already.

Looks very professionally done indeed. But I must agree with degac - when I saw the name in the thread list it immediately made me think of tennis for some reason. Other than that it really does look good.

I'm with the eyeballs too. Go with the eyeballs, my friend... ;)

Derron(Posted 2014) [#8]
It misses shadows and some objects look very blurry because of their textures (eg. the plants). Increasing their quality will increase the overall look.

Without the shadows (especially the balls) it looses depth information and looks more flat than wanted (I do not think that this is intented).

@Polished:
It looks (from the screenshot) like a freeware game, not something which is getting sold. This might change until "1.0" but to be honest their is room for improvement (if you intend to sell it) - especially concerning lighting setups and texture wise.
It seems to be a casual game with a twist - and casual games need a very high level of polishing to convince peope to play (or even buy) the game.

Also pay attention to "mistakes" in the "level backgrounds": wood which burns should not have spider webs. Also: if you cannot have "really good looking fire particle-effects", think about removing it at all (in other words: the "fire" does not look very pretty in this static screenshot).

I know that my postings often sound harsh and "pessimistic" when I post my opinion about entries in the showcase-threads but I just want to show what - like said in my opinion - is missing to make it better than it is in its current state. I am aware of problems many coders have with graphics - so if you do everything on your own the "graphic griping" is something different than if you are working with a team - or if you intend to sell the final product.

bye
Ron

Luis de la Cruz(Posted 2014) [#9]
@ Ploppy: thank you very much. I'm glad you like my game. I sure am jealous of you with your big project and the incredible work you are doing for the whole Blitz community with the Blitz Hardwired. I follow your project from day one. Although not comment anything because I'm really busy with this project. I've been working for 10 months in this game.

I know the name of the game is a bit ugly but I really want to focus this project to all casual gamers who like Match 3 type games (which are many) and I want that this be reflected in the name of the game. I would like to publish the game on sites like Big Fish Games.

@Derron: I decided miss shadows to make the action very fluid rather than more realistic. Blitz3D is not the world's fastest engine and do not want the polygons on screen, physics calculations, particles and shadows slow a game that should be fast. I have decided to sacrifice the shadows (at least for now). I do not want to get a sense of depth as the game is really played on a 2D plane.

In the coming months I will continue working on polishing the game, but it's true, i'm a programmer and not a graphist. I do what I can. But, indeed, in the years that I check these forums I've seen a few projects in Blitz with 3D graphics that people have finished with nearly professional results. So far I'm happy with the projects I've done. But I sincerely thank you give me your opinion of the game. I will try to keep in mind. Thanks!

Pingus(Posted 2014) [#10]
Looks promising. It may works well if you keep a casual gameplay.
I would suggest a hard change : Trash the 3D backgrounds and replace them by pre-rendered high definition 2D backgrounds.

That way the engine will not suffer too much and the overall look will be much better. Yes that means that your camera 'bump' effect becomes useless but that's a small loss compare to the overall improvment it may gives.

Derron(Posted 2014) [#11]
Rendered backgrounds of course need more time to "model", but you can have way better lighting setups: and with less graphics, you can reactivate shadows. I do not talk about big black shadows as if there is a stadium light shining from the top - but subtle shadows just improving the overall look (like done with global illumination).

I uploaded a progress on a screen I have done - so you might see what a difference "shadows" can make.

http://digidea.de/renders/office/index.html

Next to the shadows (or better "lighting" - which includes shadows) the textures will have the most influence of the overall look - eg. in the aquarium has a flat ground ... maybe some kind of "bumpmap" will help.
Keep us informed about the progress.

bye
Ron

pixelmischief(Posted 2014) [#12]
@Luis

Congratulations on your game so far. It looks very promising. I would agree with the other advice you've received concerning both the name and pre-rendered backgrounds. Also, billiard balls don't float. =)

Grisu(Posted 2014) [#13]
Nice game!

The "blurry" backgrounds make it look old though.

Luis de la Cruz(Posted 2014) [#14]
Thanks to all!

@derron: nice renders! good job. Really a big backgrounds quality. What program do you use for this?. I want the game has 100 levels and I don't know if I can reach this quality level. It is hard work for me.

@pixelmischief: It's true! billiard ball don't float!!!! Well, it's a game. Maybe I change them for tennis balls.

Derron(Posted 2014) [#15]
I use Blender for my 3D work (as it is crossplatform and open source - and does quite a good job - especially for the low knowledge level I have regarding art/graphics).

If you know what you want to achieve, I think you can create such a background within one day (there are not that many visible details ... it is no crowded scene like a marketplace or medieval laboratory with mutated mice, spiders, glowy skulls and of course magic liquids).

bye
Ron

Luis de la Cruz(Posted 2014) [#16]
Hi, I updated the cauldron level of my last game "Match 3 Revolution". I changed balls for eyeballs!!

Also I 'm working in a new game mode: pinball levels!. Now the game have levels with four game modes: "click the ball", "draw a line across the balls", "drop a ball" and "pinball". I think this will bring more variety in the gameplay.