Arcane update

Community Forums/Showcase/Arcane update

AdamStrange(Posted 2014) [#1]

First off a chasm has opened along with some very nasty looking lava, and some spikes.

Next is the new main screen UI

Showing the new placement of the map, quest log, response screen, and on the bottom are all the status things like armour, shield, The Book of Arcane, gold, and other stats
The purple shield is the experience level with the current experience (the bar) till the next level.

I've been trying to boil down the UI to it's most simple - still more to do though.

You can also see a piece of cake and a small magic potion.

grindalf(Posted 2014) [#2]
Images are not working for me

Derron(Posted 2014) [#3]
Let me describe them for you :D

First picture shows a dungeon containing lava.
Second one is decorated by a Mac OS X border and contains a dungeon together with some gui.

Seriously: Did you try to open it in another browser window - maybe removing the "S" in "https" helps.

@Adam
While there is no "autoresizing" done to the Screenshots I would images fitting on screens the most users use:

http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_display.asp

This avoids horizontal scrolling and corruption of the forum display for "most of us" (especially me sitting in front of an old 19" screen with 1280x1024 :p).

bye
Ron

Doggie(Posted 2014) [#4]
Looks good.

AdamStrange(Posted 2014) [#5]
sorry bout that, the ui one is the minimum size of the game and I thought I'd show it in all its agony :)

Much smaller now - fit for you?

Deron - Great read about the screen sizes. I had to look up the 1366x768 and its rise to find out what it was - new cheep laptops. Boy that was a rant in waiting - hehehe

Derron(Posted 2014) [#6]
Yeah it now fits (on my screen, so others might still get horizontal scrollbars).

In forums it is nice to have this:
- a medium sized screenshot (no thumbnail :D)
- a link to the highres one - wrapped around that medium sized screenie
- text description informing about "click for high-res"

Of course a more modern (and resource hungry) forum adds some kind of lightbox/darkbox to autoresize big pictures + making them clickable.

Another autoresizing can be done using css ... "max-width: XXX", but this wont make them clickable.

bye
Ron

grindalf(Posted 2014) [#7]
Thanks Derron removing the s from https worked

Derron(Posted 2014) [#8]
May I ask what kind of browser you use?
Normally it should only be problematic if loading "http"-referenced-media from "https"-pages.

Think this is also the reason why some of the forum members have problems with dropbox-media linked in threads.

bye
Ron

grindalf(Posted 2014) [#9]
Im using chrome
If I try and open the image in a new tab it gives me this message
SSL Error
Cannot connect to the real vjointeractive.files.wordpress.com

Something is currently interfering with your secure connection to vjointeractive.files.wordpress.com.

Try to reload this page in a few minutes or after switching to a new network. If you have recently connected to a new Wi-Fi network, finish logging in before reloading.

If you were to visit vjointeractive.files.wordpress.com right now, you might share private information with an attacker. To protect your privacy, Chrome will not load the page until it can establish a secure connection to the real vjointeractive.files.wordpress.com.

I get this error on a few sites now that I know about removing the s I will have to retry them(If I can remember what they were)

Sorry about derailing the topic. Your game looks amazing.

Derron(Posted 2014) [#10]
hmmm as I run chrome here too and never got this message: make sure there isn't something on your computer playing man in the middle ... aka proxy serving that SSL pages.
You might check with Firefox if the secure connection is modified too.
Hmm.. there might even be an addon (similar to proxifier).

bye
Ron

Why0Why(Posted 2014) [#11]
I am really liking the look of this. The height adds an interesting aspect to it.

Steve Elliott(Posted 2014) [#12]
Looking good...on Chrome.

AdamStrange(Posted 2014) [#13]
Thanks, the floor height was a nightmare, but now flows really nicely.

Here is a set of stairs looking a bit odd because of the angle. You can see the way the green (moss?) gathers at the edges and the new solid looking lintels/braces at the top.

Currently working on potions, display and how it all fits together :)

Derron(Posted 2014) [#14]
While the stairs are looking odd...they also look "unscaled" (more details than the other sprites).

bye
Ron

AdamStrange(Posted 2014) [#15]
they are all the same resolution:
24x24 pixels

the shown stairs are 2 tiles wide so 48x24
the man is 24x24 - but stretched taller a bit
the walls are 48x24

All graphics are on kept on a single png. Noise is also added to each graphic to make it less smooth and give it a more 16bit look

Derron(Posted 2014) [#16]
Even if they have the same resolution: the "noise" makes them look scaled ... just compare the "top" and the front side of each "object". The top makes rectangles hardly visible while the front presents the same "blockiness" the character has too.

bye
Ron

AdamStrange(Posted 2014) [#17]
yep, agreed, the wall tops are 48x24 and not conforming. I'll get it fixed to 24x12 as it should be :)

AdamStrange(Posted 2014) [#18]
Fixed the top of the wall problem (thanks derron) :)

Also big update to the rendering system. Previously it was rendered on a tile by tile basis, so when you moved then entire map would jump to the next tile.

This has been augmented, so that it everything is now fluid, with pixel movement - even monsters in relation to your position.

I initially thought that this would need to be a complete rewrite of the subsystem, pushing it into 3d so that depth could automatically be handled, but it turns out that the rendering only needed a few modifications and no rewrite :) - And no cpu difference either, just a simple changing of some variables here and there. (internally movement was always float based on an int based map)

This means work has begun on the monster AI routines and also the basic magic systems - both are functioning along with the first magic projectile which is nice as it lights up all around as it travels.

Also been spending a lot of time with the sound subsystem to make everything operate and found something interesting. I thought that sound was the last thing you added once the game was finished, but I've now realised that sound needs to be programmed alongside the code, so everything can be tweaked. So far I'm up to 50 separate sounds!

AdamStrange(Posted 2014) [#19]
New monster: Puffball. It pulses, it replicates itself, it will take over if you let it:

it also gets bigger the closer you get, but don't get too close. As it pops - and causes a chain reaction: