Leadwerks 3.1 demo

Community Forums/Showcase/Leadwerks 3.1 demo

JoshK(Posted 2014) [#1]
A demo of Leadwerks 3.1 is now available:
http://www.leadwerks.com/werkspace/page/demo

Now we have great graphics and a rapid workflow that is really easy to work with. Let me know what you think.

Blitz users can enter the coupon code "BLITZ" at checkout to get a 10% discount during the month of May.

Hotshot2005(Posted 2014) [#2]
Look good but where the scripts code when person want change it....I did rather have all in one window with tabs when you can switch code or putting 3D things in the scene rather than have 2 different windows which can be confusing!

JoshK(Posted 2014) [#3]
If you go to the "Assets" tab you can browser to the Scripts folder and double click any script to open it. The script editor is built-in so it always stays on top of the main editor window.

Hotshot2005(Posted 2014) [#4]
thanks but when i click the scripts code then go on another window....i prefer it if was all in one then if person want to see the scene then click the scene and if is the code then click code visa visa

JoshK(Posted 2014) [#5]
I found during development this design resulted in the fewest clicks possible. For example, post-processing effects can be controlled by script, and I wanted to be able to just work in one window, press save, and see the result right awry without switching back and forth. It also allows the user to keep the script editor open in a second monitor while working with the scene in the primary monitor.

Chapman7(Posted 2014) [#6]
Thanks for releasing a demo Josh - you were right btw about the monochrome icons! :)

Doggie(Posted 2014) [#7]
Terrains is giving an error.
Framebuffer incomplete
GL_FRAMEBUFFER_INCOMPLETE_ATTACHMENT

JoshK(Posted 2014) [#8]
Install the latest drivers for your card:
http://www.leadwerks.com/werkspace/topic/8120-graphics-drivers-downloads/

Hotshot2005(Posted 2014) [#9]
How long does the demo last? 30 days?

GaryV(Posted 2014) [#10]
Did you read the site?

RemiD(Posted 2014) [#11]
Why this presentation is in the Blitz Showcase ? What is the relationship between Leadwerks 3.1 and Blitzbasic ? I thought that the last version of your game development tools were not compatible with Blitz3d or BlitzMax ?

Hotshot2005(Posted 2014) [#12]
Experience the easiest way to make games that look amazing, free for two weeks.

Yue(Posted 2014) [#13]
@RemiD Made in BlitzMax xD

RemiD(Posted 2014) [#14]

Made in BlitzMax

Really ? If so, this is very good work !

Banshee(Posted 2014) [#15]
I believe LW2 was BlitzMax, but the current version appears to be written in C++. It uses FBX format and B3D does not appear to be supported at all - making migration from Blitz languages a pain in the posterior console if your media library is assembled around Blitz-like languages

I've tried the demo this morning and gone through all the tutorials. Out of the box it appears to be a Unity styled First Person Construction Kit - but I doubt it is limited to this so a number of questions arose in me that I'd like to know before delving further.

All the scripts included appear to evolve around the concept of an FPS, so how much work is going to be involved in moving things over to an RTS style game, or a Diablo style 3rd person game driven from the mouse rather than WASD/RE?

Shaders: They seem fairly fixed. Support for normal and specular seems to be ingrained and the terrain looks like it has support for 16 textures applied based upon altitude and slope. This is all fine and dandy for getting up and running quickly - but what about modifying this stuff... My own game has a 48 way splat/altitudinal shader, if my current engine had over 8 texture layers then it would also have an inbuilt grass shell shader (which is currently a separate shader). I'm looking at Leadwerks and trying to figure out how I would recreate this, and I can't see how it would work.

My characters have a fur shader applied - either depicting individual hairs or on some creatures (areas) being used to give an almost oil painting like effect, it appears that LW allows me bump and specular - maybe even insists on it - but does not provide a mechanism for customising the shader.

Is this analysis correct Josh?

On the whole it looks like an excellent tool within it's own limitations - graphically much more powerful than Blitz out of the box, but seemingly not as versatile as taking the code based approach that many users here have grown acclimatised too.

It leaves me asking one final question: What is the USP?

That is to say: Why would I use Leadwerks over a tool like Unity or Cry? What does LW offer that these larger, free, and arguably more versatile platforms don't? I think that's an answer the opening post here maybe should have led with because we're all aware of those platforms.

I'm not looking for studio based development personally, although I don't hanker after an amazing 3D engine that runs on stone age hardware - I realise hardware has not moved very much in a decade or more... For me: I would come back to BlitzMax games development if there was a modern Blitz-like engine, but I am not sure LW is it?

JoshK(Posted 2014) [#16]
All the scripts included appear to evolve around the concept of an FPS, so how much work is going to be involved in moving things over to an RTS style game, or a Diablo style 3rd person game driven from the mouse rather than WASD/RE?

That's really up to you to code. There's nothing in there that forces you to make an FPS, but that's what people want to see as an example. I tried doing an RPG-type thing once and people hated it.

Shaders: They seem fairly fixed. Support for normal and specular seems to be ingrained and the terrain looks like it has support for 16 textures applied based upon altitude and slope. This is all fine and dandy for getting up and running quickly - but what about modifying this stuff... My own game has a 48 way splat/altitudinal shader, if my current engine had over 8 texture layers then it would also have an inbuilt grass shell shader (which is currently a separate shader). I'm looking at Leadwerks and trying to figure out how I would recreate this, and I can't see how it would work.

My characters have a fur shader applied - either depicting individual hairs or on some creatures (areas) being used to give an almost oil painting like effect, it appears that LW allows me bump and specular - maybe even insists on it - but does not provide a mechanism for customising the shader.

Right-click in the asset browser and select the New > Shader menu item to create a new shader. You can double-click on any shader to open it up, view the source code, and modify and compile it in real-time.

On the whole it looks like an excellent tool within it's own limitations - graphically much more powerful than Blitz out of the box, but seemingly not as versatile as taking the code based approach that many users here have grown acclimatised too.

At its heart, it's just an API like Blitz3D:
http://www.leadwerks.com/werkspace/page/documentation/_/command-reference/

It leaves me asking one final question: What is the USP?

That is to say: Why would I use Leadwerks over a tool like Unity or Cry? What does LW offer that these larger, free, and arguably more versatile platforms don't? I think that's an answer the opening post here maybe should have led with because we're all aware of those platforms.

A simple API that can make any kind of game, built-in level design tools, a visual flowgraph system for setting up game interactions, and a royalty-free license.

I'm not looking for studio based development personally, although I don't hanker after an amazing 3D engine that runs on stone age hardware - I realise hardware has not moved very much in a decade or more... For me: I would come back to BlitzMax games development if there was a modern Blitz-like engine, but I am not sure LW is it?

I think the Blitz-like approach is not complete, because the first thing everyone does is start writing their own editor, tools, and sub-systems to make up for all the missing functionality that has to be built on before you can start your game.

Why would I use Leadwerks over a tool like Unity or Cry? What does LW offer that these larger, free

Unity is only free if you are getting the version with old graphics and no pathfinding. And the problem with CryEngine is that you have to use CryEngine. Which sounds nice in theory, but just try writing a game in it and see what happens.

Banshee(Posted 2014) [#17]
Okay interesting answers Josh, interesting enough for me to dig a bit deeper! I've poked around a little more on the site, and I have a couple more questions.

At its heart, it's just an API like Blitz3D
I think the Blitz-like approach is not complete, because the first thing everyone does is start writing their own editor, tools, and sub-systems to make up for all the missing functionality that has to be built on before you can start your game.

The studio is interesting an' all, but I am old school and a code junkie, and unlike many coders here I don't make editors. I normally use external xml and hlsl files and have hotkeys for reloading them...

Like 80+% of this forum C++ isn't something I've spent much time with, so are there any code examples showing what it is like to work with Leadwerks? And is there a getting started guide that shows what is needed and how to get setup to compile those examples?

And the problem with CryEngine is that you have to use CryEngine.

The cry engine looks really good actually! But the studio crashes a lot. I haven't started to play with any code with it yet though so I will have to take your word for it. The concern I have over Cry is the media path - something which did not work well for me when I tried the LW2 demo. LW3 seems to fully support FBX though, so I'll convert some of my media later and try it.

Quick question: The terrain does not appear in the scene, how do I apply my own shaders to it? Also, it's kind of sucky that only raw files can be imported - have you considered allowing a heightmap? I don't mind converting my current games heightmap as that's custom anyway (red+green combined - actually red is the water table height), but going forward all my other terrain tools use heightmaps...

JoshK(Posted 2014) [#18]
Like 80+% of this forum C++ isn't something I've spent much time with, so are there any code examples showing what it is like to work with Leadwerks? And is there a getting started guide that shows what is needed and how to get setup to compile those examples?

Nearly every command in the docs has a simple example, in C++ and in Lua:
http://www.leadwerks.com/werkspace/page/documentation/_/command-reference/

The cry engine looks really good actually! But the studio crashes a lot. I haven't started to play with any code with it yet though so I will have to take your word for it. The concern I have over Cry is the media path - something which did not work well for me when I tried the LW2 demo. LW3 seems to fully support FBX though, so I'll convert some of my media later and try it.

Crytek's stuff looks amazing. But when you are using an engine designed for one game, you spend all your time ripping things out and trying to get your bearings. That's why every video you see on YouTube has characteristic features that look the same, and you can easily pick out what game it was originally. In my experience.

Banshee(Posted 2014) [#19]
Nearly every command in the docs has a simple example, in C++ and in Lua:

Hrm, it seems going straight to the shader commands and then the stream commands may have denied me any samples. I've seen a few now, looks mostly obvious with a few C++ bits at the top that I'll have to figure out.

I would really appreciate seeing something a bit more on the sample side and setup instructions and demos of shaders/cube mapping/shadows and such, y'know the sort of thing: A simple scene I can run around in and then look how it's put together just like the studio has got in it, but I get the idea.

In the absence of that I'd love to hear from Blitzers who've used it with C++ to hear their opinions of it, if there are any?

GaryV(Posted 2014) [#20]
Josh: For Linux, how well does it perform on systems with AMD/ATI GPUs?

JoshK(Posted 2014) [#21]
Hrm, it seems going straight to the shader commands and then the stream commands may have denied me any samples. I've seen a few now, looks mostly obvious with a few C++ bits at the top that I'll have to figure out.

I would really appreciate seeing something a bit more on the sample side and setup instructions and demos of shaders/cube mapping/shadows and such, y'know the sort of thing: A simple scene I can run around in and then look how it's put together just like the studio has got in it, but I get the idea.
Blitz3D used a lot of commands for different fixed-function settings on an entity level. Effects in Leadwerks center around materials. Materials are a combination of textures, shaders, and settings you can control in the material editor:
http://www.leadwerks.com/werkspace/page/documentation/_/user-guide/material-editor-r8

Shadows are always-on and automatic, unless you specifically disable them on a per-entity or per-material basis.

There's a lot of different shaders provided for you. Generally you will not need to even mess with this, unless you are doing something special, since the editor auto-generates your materials when models are imported.

Josh: For Linux, how well does it perform on systems with AMD/ATI GPUs?
It runs the same on ATI, Nvidia, and Intel hardware that supports OpenGL 4.0.

GaryV(Posted 2014) [#22]
It runs the same on ATI, Nvidia, and Intel hardware that supports OpenGL 4.0.

You have not run into driver issues with ATI?

JoshK(Posted 2014) [#23]
Nope. You might need to install a newer driver, but I haven't ever seen any serious issues on ATI.

Charrua(Posted 2014) [#24]
hi!

can any thing be done in lua as in c++?
which are the most relevant differences on using one or both

is it possible to call any dll function from lua/c++, how can be done?
(for example for using communications ports, reach kernel32 functions or external (user made) dlls functions)

may i render on 2 monitors (ie on 2 windows and have control on their position/size) from one application instead of doing 2 apps and communicate them via udp or any other technique?

thank's in advance

(sorry my bad english...)

Juan