'Fraid I made another game

Community Forums/Showcase/'Fraid I made another game

mkg(Posted 2014) [#1]
I released a new free game a few days ago on gamejolt. It's called 'The Doctor of N'.

Screenshots and game download here:

The Doctor of N

Given past experience with my efforts, I don't imagine it will really be anyone's cup of tea here on the blitz forums. It's a tad ... erm ... unusual. But I thought you might like to have a look just to see the sort of monstrosities that can be perpetrated in B3D.

Thanks to all here are in the game's credits. So your share of the blame cannot be avoided. I really do appreciate all the great help and advice in these forums. One day I may even follow some of that advice and produce a game playable by humans.

Got reviewed on Rock Paper Shotgun today:

RPS review

All my gamelike efforts can be found here:

fizzhog

Best wishes

mkg

Tob_b(Posted 2014) [#2]
Hey Fizzhog, I gave your game a try. It's certainly different! I didn't really understand what was happening but I progressed through the memoies screen for a bit until it flashed game over and booted me back to the desktop, haha. Haven't read the RPS review yet, I'll take a look now. Keep going with your designs and coding though, it's nice to see different things.

mkg(Posted 2014) [#3]
Thanks for taking a look Toby. Yes my efforts do tend to turn out a little 'different', too different for my own good in terms of immediate appeal I suppose. Not sure if I'll ever get beyond making odd little experimental games. I don't set out to be obscure or self-consciously 'weird' - the games just sort of end up that way as I work on them and reject elements I find too conventional. In the case of this game, I had hoped that the game's read me file explains the mechanics sufficiently for the player to know what's going on. But I could be wrong about that - it wouldn't be the first time.

Tob_b(Posted 2014) [#4]
The RPS review actually explained what was going on, without which I wouldn't have had a clue, to be honest. I played through a few mazes, and there was some story to piece together(?) in the cutscenes.. but I guess the reward to effort ratio storywise was too high and I just couldn't continue. It was interesting though.