TVTower - v0.3.6 [Updated]

Community Forums/Showcase/TVTower - v0.3.6 [Updated]

Derron(Posted 2014) [#1]
TVTower: a tribute to Mad TV - Manage a TV channel

Edit: replaced our video with the one from tom.io (still German audio)

Our Game - in just a few words
TVTower is a humorous business simulation in which you are in the role of a programming director of a TV channel. Whether blockbuster or trash-tv - you decide what your audience can watch - but if they want it?

Languages: English, German ... language files
GitHub: github.com/GWRon/TVTower
Licence: Open Source, restricted libpng/zlib (no commercial usage without permission)

-> Instead of just playing, I strongly invite you to join us coding the game, improving basics or extend the abilities of our AI (written in LUA).

Information - What is TVTower?

If I was head of programming, everything would be better...

That is something all of us thought some day when feeling annoyed about the current programme. Now you have got the chance to change it.

TVTower is kind of a remake to the ancient but still brilliant game MadTV and therefor the concept of our game is closely based on it.

Within the game multiple players compete in real time against each other. Objective is to manage a tv station. Therefor it is required to place advertisements to finance your programmes and to broadcast movies and news shows to reach a bigger audience. But your rivals never sleep. If you do not pay attention you will rapidly have no great movies, no audience, no money, no future.

The audience is splitted into target groups/jobs and genders. All of them have different needs regarding the broadcasted programmes. Also they have different times to watch tv.

So you have to reconsider if broadcasting "Manager today" monday 11am is preferable to "Having fun being unemployed".

Movies - like already mentioned - are needed to attract audience. But you should be aware what target group you gear towards. So fans of action movies and advertisements for detergents are a rare minority.

Maybe the movie "Sissi" would fit better.

Or are series a way better idea?

Naturally your audience is not interested in watching the same old movies over and over. That is why you need to collect a bigger and bigger getting archive of movies and series. Why? So you can give your programmes a breather. Or is it a better idea to invest in your own productions? And... where to get all the money for this plans?

For sure, your audience has to stop for a pee - so take the chance to send advertisements. But to have advertisements to send you have to sign some contracts in advance. But you are wrong if you believe that advertisements is a source of never ending money.

Because the advertisers have nothing to gift and if you are not able to broadcast all needed ad spots within time or with less audience than needed you will have to pay a big penalty instead of creating a nice income.

One possibility to increase audience is to produce a news show. Theay attract audience and some of them keep watching your channel for the next programme.

But who is interested in things already happened 5 minutes before?!? The most recent news are important and these are only ... like everything in life - available for a higher price.

But how to get more money? Logically with a greater audience. This literally cries for expansion. To increase audience reach it is possible t make new broadcasting areas available. The less players are broadcasting in such an area the less players are sharing that audience. So roll up your sleeves and get to work - before the others approach too...

So, Mister programme director, show us your stuff!

If you watch one of these reboots and remakes of your favorite movies you often ask yourself: "Why all those remakes if there is an original which is much better?". And it is exactly this question which some of you might ask themselves.

The answer is shockingly easy: Our remake is 1000x besser than the original. And this is because of:

Features

* It is free of costs. Yes, freeware!

* There is a multiplayer mode. Now you can play with your mates over LAN or internet. Show them how to win.

* Playable with Windows, Mac and Linux. (currently we only offer executables for Windows and Linux)

* Higher in-game resolution: instead of 320x200 now 800x600 (more is planned with a different image set). Effects like alpha blending allow smooth shadows and other things for hovering etc.)

* New music and soundeffects with higher playback quality.

* All movies, ad contracts, story books, ...are available in an editable text file.

* The calculation of the audience quotes/ratings is much more realistical than in the original game. -> Details

* Like in the original there are stations which you have to place to increase the area of broadcasting. Here we use a population density map to rebuild real regions in Germany.

* Now we broadcast 24 hours a day.

* The production of shows is more advanced thanin the original game. It is even possible to produce a surprising success. The cast you chose are connected to trends and popularities. You are the forge of stars. (not yet included in game)

* News agencies provide you with news. Depending on level of abonnement they deliver the news earlier or later to their clients - you and your rivals.

Matty(Posted 2014) [#2]
I dunno what hes saying but the guy in the brown suit looks sure pissed at something.

looking good. Like your description. Never heard of original game. Seems unique.

Derron(Posted 2014) [#3]
It's your boss... he is pissed everytime :D

I switched to English language for you:

bye
Ron

Matty(Posted 2014) [#4]
Ahh good. However the English translation was obviously done by a non native speaker, it doesn't come across quite right.

Derron(Posted 2014) [#5]
Yeah it is done by me - and some phrases got translated 10 years ago.

It is more or less to enable others to translate it into their languages, so the "finesse" of a sentence might get lost, but not the intention (I hope so).

Also there are things eg. "US American" do not use.. they talk about "ratings" while we use "audience quotes" (the absolute numbers of viewers in your country watching your show + the share of the "total audience").

Just wondering how many "mistakes" my description contains :p.

bye
Ron

Matty(Posted 2014) [#6]
Yeah here in Australia we speak of ratings.

still looks like a different sort of game. I once was contracted to write a game for a chemical engineering dept of a local university to simulate competing factories ..I guess it is similar in some way.

Derron(Posted 2014) [#7]
Yes, you compete versus other television channels. So you buy broadcasting "antennas" to increase your potential range (we start in the 80s :D).

The whole calculation of the audience is something more advanced compared to the original game. If you buy an antenna where no competitor has one too, you do not share the audience living there (for coders: a pixmap describing bitmask encoded share states). Also seniors have other interests than teenagers. Unemployed enjoy the more simple movies/shows etc.

The most complicated thing is to do as much as possible in a "mod-able" fashion (configure things with XML) without making it to complicated for the players.
Maybe we just should "finish" an 1.0 ... game is planned / in development since 2002 :p.

bye
Ron

Derron(Posted 2014) [#8]
July release available.

since last post the whole interface is available in English too ... and "easily" translateable (you need a flag of your country and a languagefile containing the phrases translated into your language...easy enough?).

Ok, let's travel from june, the month of the nice settings window and localizeability to july, our current release:

As my changelog is written in German (main target audience) just in short some changes since release of June 2014:

- added a weathersystem (rain, snow, okta clouds, wind, sunset/sunrise according yeartime) including weater forecast news getting generated in the news agency
- new day-night-cycle (smoother sunset/sunrise-gradients
- terrorists are now possible (key "T" ingame will release one walking to a random target)
- added new rooms
- rooms can now get blocked (bombs, marshall/bailiff)
- added some more decoration items to the main building, redrew some of them, extraxted some sprites from background to spriteatlases for easier modability
- broadcasting stations now have activation times, list on stationmap has indicator for new features
- many adjustments to our BlitzMax-Framework "Dig" (GUI-Fixes, enhancements).
- newsevents of news agency can now have onBroadcast and onHappen effects to manipulate environment
- improved loading times by skipping some asset loading when loading in a savegame
- fixed all reported bugs

The opponents of revivaling "VR Duban" and "FR Duban" (VR is German for "PR", FR for "free republic"): they do not like each other and if the "aggression level" raised enough, they send out a terrorist bombing the embassy of the other party in our building. If you use the room planner in the 1st floor to exchange the signs of the building's rooms ... the terrorist will bomb the wrong room... eg one of your opponents office. Nifty way to block access for some hours :p.

Have fun testing it out... still free, still open source.

Load it from github: https://github.com/GWRon/TVTower/releases
Download contains Mac, Linux and Windows binaries.

Visit our website: http://www.tvgigant.de/en/index

bye
Ron

Blitzplotter(Posted 2014) [#9]
wow, impressive stuff Ron, thanks for the share - will give it a whirl tomorrow.

Derron(Posted 2014) [#10]
There are patches available (new binaries) fixing bugs reported meanwhile.

So download the "complete package" + the latest patch.

Please be aware that interface is translated, but "movies" are having German titles/description as the import from TMDB is still on our "todo/untested".

bye
Ron

Derron(Posted 2014) [#11]
new month - new release

This time I modernized the datasheets for broadcasted programmes, advertisement contracts, trailers, infomercials, ...

comparison (in German):

Now generated income is way better emphasized than before.

Together with the modernization we now also expose other information like audience rating records, amount of repetitions etc.

Hope you enjoy the new release as I did creating it.
Think it gets more popular each month: tripled download count of the current monthly release from 3-400 to 1200 for last month (mirrors of big download portals not count ...so people actually visit the projects forums/website).

bye
Ron

Derron(Posted 2014) [#12]
new month - new release: september '14

September end is near so the release is full of magnificient changes and new features:

- completely new programme planner and genre selector (including colorful indicators and genre groups)

- completely new station map (imitating the style of our new datasheets we introduced in august)

- new database structure and way more data for programmes, advertisement contracts, news. Now our actors can have "fame", "skill" etc - nice for the upcoming custom production feature

- many many more fixes (all you testers out there reported plus many more)
- nifty changes here and there to make you feel even more comfortable when playing TVTower
- except the database entries everything should be available in English/German.
- new database structure allows for easy translation (but it will get even easier with the upcoming editor - and tmdb/imdb importer)
- most important feature: it is still free of cost and open source.

Check it out now. We are happy about every Feedback.

bye
Ron

GaryV(Posted 2014) [#13]
I thought this was something to do with the old TV show, Mad TV. Obviously not. However, after reading everything and looking at all the screenshots, I must say the artwork is stunning!

Derron(Posted 2014) [#14]
Sorry... "Mad TV" isn't "MADtv" ... thought I made that clear when writing "manage a tv channel".

@Artwork
The original artwork in 320x200 isnt done by me - I just did the 800x600 upscaling work (I upscaled and removed pixel artifacts by hand - and also added gradients, more colors, exchanged objects - so overhauled the whole thing). Also specific elements are completely done by me (figures, building, interface, gui ...).But yeah - I would like to be able to draw things like the "boss dude" myself...but I am not that talented I guess. Honestly I am not that good in drawing organic forms (hmm, I even cannot 3d model them - but other things work very well).

Maybe you can give it a try - even if the movie descriptions are "German" (within the next weeks we might change that if our TMDB-import comes alive).

bye
Ron

Derron(Posted 2014) [#15]
new release: November 2014

This time I fixed many bugs (thanks to the reporters via email/board) but of course also added new features.

People whished to have an ingame-console for data manipulation ("cheating"). It is there now: ready to get extended with new commands (Enter + "/dev" + Enter -> available commands get printed).

Users also wanted to have more datasheets (do not forget: it is an economical simulation, so sheets are there to make you a winner not a whiner...). Now the computer in the players office has a "statistics panel" showing what audience which broadcast had - and how it split into multiple target groups.

The changelog is multiple pages, so I did not even try to translate it into English, so feel free to translate:
https://github.com/GWRon/TVTower/releases/tag/v0.1-alpha2014_11
on your own (via google translate).

... or just trust that we try our best to fix all that nasty bugs and create a wonderful playing experience.

Remember: it is open source - so if you want to have a look at the code, do not be that shy and just scroll through it on github.

If you do not want to code something: we have some databases (/res/database/default) containing <en>bla</en> parts which are written by German people, so if you see spelling mistakes or pure nonsense: feel free to correct it (pull requests appreciated).

Thanks in advance.

bye
Ron

Derron(Posted 2015) [#16]
New Release October 2015
(skipped announcing the past 10 releases :-))

- AI has improved a lot (optimizing programme schedule, dynamic budget for news ...)
- a _lot_ of new programmes, adcontracts - many of them available in English now
- Turkish, French, ... interface localizations
- improved audience calculation (gender split - as a male teenager thinks different to adult movies than a female one :-))
- savegame manager added
- ability to exit a current game without the need of an app restart
- movies/news/... could trigger effects (on happening, first broadcast...)
- news are able trigger other news with specific propabilit
- channel boss has a mood (depending on what you broadcast)
- the "unemployed" now lives next to the test-family
- governmental marshals confiscate xrated programme when broadcasted during daytime
- persons are now getting experience for their productions (and may get stars)
- ... complete changelog would consist of some hundred entries... feel free to check them (in German) on the github page.

Download the game for free at
http://www.tvtower.org
or fetch the sources from
http://www.github.com/GWRon/TVTower

Game should be compatible to Vanilla BMX and BMX-NG.

bye
Ron

Volturna(Posted 2015) [#17]
One of my favorit games! Looks nice. Can't you hide the console while running the game?

Noticed that some text is not in english even when language is set to 'english'.

The main objective is still banging the blond chick? :D

Derron(Posted 2015) [#18]
you do not bang her... at least... I think so :)

Seriously: That women is absolutely into "culture" (talking about arts) ... think you will have to marry her first (which is the goal I think - the marriage, not the first night).

@not English texts
yes, main language is German but we translate more and more texts into English - so others are able to translate the texts more easily into their languages.

@Console
You mean the bottom interface portion? Nope that is there because it was there in Mad TV too :-)

bye
Ron

Matty(Posted 2015) [#19]
I've always liked the look of this - it's not a game I'd play but I do think it looks very good.

I think I've said it before - it reminds me of a 'design game' we played/I had to rewrite for the engineering department at my old uni where you took control of a chemical factory and had to make it profitable while competing with the other students by setting reactor sizes/flow through rates and so on.

Derron(Posted 2015) [#20]
Yeah, you posted in #6 about your game :-)

Within the next months ingame help will be introduced - so also people not knowing "Mad TV" will be able to play the game. There is a German manual in the download but this will be a tedious thing to translate into English (it... is ...not a short single-page-manual :-)).

bye
Ron

Derron(Posted 2016) [#21]
New version (argh, I skipped promotion of some major releases here)

Ok, so v0.3.1 is here now. It features custom movie/series/show production.

So instead of buying ready movies or series, you are now able to produce your own (with custom setups for production focus like VFX/SFX/costumes).
If you think a sex-comedy-movie needs VFX, why not, maybe you create the next block-buster :-)
And because you all need nerd facts: each cast / crew member gains XP for productions which makes that person better and better - and it also gets more firm with that movie genre.
And production companies of course also gain XP for assisting you in the production. Better companies provide more focus points to spend ... I think you got the idea now.

Next to this really big major feature there is so a huge changelog (just have a look at the github commit log) that I cannot write down what has changed or got introduced over the months.

Do not hesitate trying the game out - many texts are translated into English (am just to lazy to do more screenshots with the English translation enabled).

And do not forget: the game is open source, so if you want to code on a bigger BlitzMax-project: http://www.github.com/GWRon/TVTower .

If you prefer having someone playing the game for you (to save some time). Here is a list of > 30 Let's Play-Videos of the game:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLoLru3jB1bl8APWG6kgchsm2xs1p09DKE

bye
Ron

RustyKristi(Posted 2016) [#22]
I agree with Matty, nice looking game you got here! I like the UI stuff

luizrpgluiz(Posted 2016) [#23]
Portuguese-Brazilian: I'm speechless, someone heard my thoughts, I knew that one day someone or some team of developers would make this game open source *----*

English(Google Translator): I'm speechless, someone heard my thoughts, I knew that one day someone or some team of developers would make this game open source *----*

Derron(Posted 2016) [#24]
v0.3.6 released on christmas.
(with 120 downloads in 24hrs - just counting our download source, not mirrors - this seems to be the right thing for christmas ;-))

Some of the news are translated into English now (especially the dynamically created ones)

You are now able to buy your love interest Betty some hmmm "nice" presents

(Excuse vector graphics this time - tried to do some vector stuff this time ... to advance in that subject)

New features this time (amongst many many other things):
- balancing of advertisements
- ad agency offerings algorithm adjusted
- sport simulation: soccer and ice hockey (more to come) - match results as news, live programme in auctions. Simulation of teams (ranks, strength, tactics...) has influence to quality/topicality of programmes and news
- live programmes are broadcastable now at all
- programme licences could contain broadcast limits (only 3 times broadcastable VS lifetime licence)
- AI got a big improvement: does no longer go bankrupt that fast and often
- more localizations (DE -> EN)

Do not hesitate to download the game at
http://www.tvtower.org

OR ... just build it yourself with Blitzmax - or BlitzMax NG (compatible with both). Sources are available via
https://www.github.com/GWRon/TVTower

IF you are running OS X Sierra - please have a look if it works for you, as I got reports of crashes right on start.

bye
Ron

RemiD(Posted 2016) [#25]
Not really the kind of game i like, however i suppose that "news" are generated partly procedurally and partly randomnly and i find this interesting in a game, can you explain with more details how each news is created ?

Thanks,

Derron(Posted 2016) [#26]
There are multiple ways to create news:

- by providing them in an DB-file (res/database/Default/*.xml)
- by generating them ingame via "news providers"

These news providers might be "weather", "sports", "terrorists" (there are two "arguing" parties in the building - and after some "disputes" they send someone to the other parties room in the building - which you can use to redirect them, so they place a little bomb in a different room - to eg. destroy a movie, or block access for an hour).

Ok, so these providers create the news based on certain aspects. "Sports" react to sport matches having taken place - so they get information from the match (final score, teams taking part, overtime, ...).
Then according to who won (team 1 - or others) a random text from a "localization file" is taken - and potential placeholders ("%TEAM1STAR%", "%TEAM1KEEPERNAMESHORT%" and so on) are replaced.
My Localization system allows things like this:

SPORT_SOCCER = Soccer
SPORT_SOCCER_TEAMREPORT_MATCHWIN_S1 = and forward %TEAM1STAR% win %MATCHKIND% against 
SPORT_SOCCER_TEAMREPORT_MATCHWIN_P1 = and forward %TEAM1STAR% win %MATCHKIND% against 
SPORT_SOCCER_TEAMREPORT_MATCHWIN_S2 = defeats thanks to a converted corner kick by %TEAM1STARSHORT% %MATCHKIND%
SPORT_SOCCER_TEAMREPORT_MATCHWIN_P2 = defeat thanks to a converted corner kick by %TEAM1STARSHORT% %MATCHKIND%
SPORT_SOCCER_TEAMREPORT_MATCHWIN_S3 = defeats thanks to kept penalty by keeper %TEAM1KEEPERSHORT% %MATCHKIND%
SPORT_SOCCER_TEAMREPORT_MATCHWIN_P3 = defeat thanks to kept penalty by keeper %TEAM1KEEPERSHORT% %MATCHKIND%

SPORT_SOCCER_TEAMREPORT_MATCHLOOSE_S1 = goes under by an oversight of keeper %TEAM1KEEPERSHORT% and %MATCHKIND% against
SPORT_SOCCER_TEAMREPORT_MATCHLOOSE_P1 = go under by an oversight of keeper %TEAM1KEEPERSHORT% and %MATCHKIND% against
SPORT_SOCCER_TEAMREPORT_MATCHLOOSE_S2 = looses with disappointed keeper %TEAM1KEEPER% %MATCHKIND% against
SPORT_SOCCER_TEAMREPORT_MATCHLOOSE_P2 = loose with disappointed keeper %TEAM1KEEPER% %MATCHKIND% against

SPORT_SOCCER_TEAMREPORT_MATCHKIND1 = after %PLAYTIMEMINUTES% minutes of doubtful soccer
SPORT_SOCCER_TEAMREPORT_MATCHKIND2 = after %PLAYTIMEMINUTES% minutes of tactical duels
SPORT_SOCCER_TEAMREPORT_MATCHKIND3 = after exciting %PLAYTIMEMINUTES% minutes lawn sport

SPORT_TEAMREPORT_MATCHWIN_S1 = wins thanks to %TEAM1STAR%
SPORT_TEAMREPORT_MATCHWIN_P1 = win thanks to %TEAM1STAR%
SPORT_TEAMREPORT_MATCHWIN_S2 = defeats %MATCHKIND%
SPORT_TEAMREPORT_MATCHWIN_P2 = defeat %MATCHKIND%
SPORT_TEAMREPORT_MATCHWIN_S3 = wins %MATCHSCORE1TEXT% against
SPORT_TEAMREPORT_MATCHWIN_P3 = win %MATCHSCORE1TEXT% against
SPORT_TEAMREPORT_MATCHWIN_S4 = overcomes
SPORT_TEAMREPORT_MATCHWIN_P4 = overcome

So when the first team (team 1) is winning, "MATCHWIN" is used. The localization system is able to iterate through a list of options - so "MATCHWIN_S1", "MATCHWIN_S2" ... are all collected into one "bag" and then a random one is used.
S* and P* is a special thing, as I needed some kind of simple grammar. S is singular and P is plural. So if a team name is defined as singular ("Soccer Club New York") S is used and if defined as plural ("Berlin Sharks") ... think you got it :-)

If you want to make it more advanced, you could of course go further and make things like "MATCHKIND" depending on final score (draw game - "doubtful", 6:1 means "not exciting" ...and so on).

Then my localization system has the option to search for a "key" and use an alternative "key" if nothing is found.
I use this to allow for "sport specific" localizations - so if "BLA_SOCCER_X" is define, it is used rather than "BLA_X". So I am able to use some generic phrases - and some texts only fitting to that given sport (eg. ice hockey is not played on lawns ;-))

So for "sport" I tried to make it really simple.

Ok ... now to weather:
these news provider uses the WorldWeather-simulation running in the game (I have a day-night-cycle and also weather simulation over the year - so it rains, snows, ... and temperatures rise and fall. Clouds depend on air pressure - which also influences rain, thunderstorms etc., clouds and "foggyness" define whether one could see the sun this day or not).
To allow weather forecasts I needed to cheat a bit - and to simulate weather in advance. So at 12:00 I simulate 20:00 already, store it and once the world wants to know the current weather, it just uses the precalculated value.
So the weather news provider is able to see how wind / rain / sun ... will behave the next hours. It then uses texts which fit to the scenario. It rains within the timeframe? Mention it. If sun achieves to shine at least X hours in the time frame - mention it. If it rains and then the sun shines? Use a different text ("sun wins against clouds" or so).
Temperature is the most easiest part: Check min and max temperature end write that.
If temperature is below 0 and it rains, it does actually snow - mention that.

For terrorists: each party has a very simple simulation running in the game (aggression level based). News are predefined for each level - and are just the according news events (the thing "really happening" - not the "ticker") are created.

Values of a news (topicality, quality ...) just depend on eg. the aggression level (so the "danger"). Weather news are more random - and sport news base it on the league of the match (premier league or just two villages trying to play soccer?).

All News events (and programmes and ads ...) are able to trigger other news or to modify the environment (so a "snow storm" might lead to more people at home - and therefor higher audiences of your broadcasts. A power outage might decrease audience for X hours, a "peace agreement"-news might lower the aggression level of the fighting parties).

On my todo is to have "singers" or "musicians" releasing new albums or going on tour. For now the musicians are just there to be used in custom productions (to create the music there).
Oh ... and there is another simple news provider: creating news for upcoming movies (these "actor X is totally proud of his new movie Y"-style news).

Hope this already answers your question - if not, just ask and I will try to explain.

bye
Ron

Matty(Posted 2016) [#27]
This game looks like a lot of love and work went into it. Great.

RemiD(Posted 2016) [#28]
@Derron>>your explanations give me a better idea of your system, thanks.

I worked on a similar (unfinished) system for random dialogues with a partly procedurally partly randomly generated characterbackground/quest, where a sentence is composed from differents parts, some which are fixed and some which are random depending on the states/things chosen, but the program scanned a list of text files and then used the datas in the relevant ones to compose the resulting characterbackground/quest.

You may want to take a look at the news/threads generation of the game "Neuromancer", it is quite impressive imo (for the time it was created)

GW(Posted 2016) [#29]
Slightly Ot: just FYI:

I tried testing the Dig framework with the latest build of NG and get a lot of failures.

samples:
bitmapfont: works
channelpool: exits immediately
colorize: works
demoapp: a ton of "undefined reference" errors
directorytree: works
entity: works
graphicalapp: a ton of "undefined reference" errors
gui: Compile Error: Unable to find overload for update(String). Argument #1 is "String" but declaration is "TLowerString"
input: a ton of "undefined reference" errors
interpolation: works
Lua: works
mathutil: works
mousemanager: works (but rarely detects double-click)
profiler: works
reflection: lots of gcc errors from 'callmethod'
registry: a ton of "undefined reference" errors
screendemo: a ton of "undefined reference" errors:
settingsfile: a ton of "undefined reference" errors
surfacecamera: works
toastmessage: works

Derron(Posted 2016) [#30]
Will try to update the framework - and demos now. Will edit my posting once I finished.

Happens because I edit the framework in my game - and then copy back the changes to the Dig-repository.
And - my builds are done with vanilla. Then when releasing a new official patch/release I do an NG built and fix potential "overload warnings".

@ MouseManager
This depends on the click speed. I might extend the mousemanager(sample) to also mention "simulated right clicks" (long clicks - used on touch screens to simulate mouse buttons).

@ undefined references
Shouldn't this mean you use the "wrong" minGW (I assume you use windows - so I will have to prepare an NG setup for it too - because I am on linux and only compile with my MiniXP-VM)

bye
Ron

Derron(Posted 2016) [#31]
Will need some more time.

Apparently in certain situations my "TSprite" draws black rectangles when run with Bruceys SDL.mod (not always, as else my game wont "work" as it does). Currently I am trying to narrow it down.

Edit:
- "channelpool" throws the corresponding hint: you need to provide valid URIs to existing ogg-files (I just wanted to keep the repo small and clean)

Edit2 00:02:
Updated all required samples, they now compile and run on my linux box with NG at 64bit. Will try Windows tomorrow.

bye
Ron

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2017) [#32]
Very impressive project.

Derron(Posted 2017) [#33]
Because there is interest in the Dig-Framework here too:

I added support for tooltips. Oh. wow... tooltips?

These tooltips are a bit more advanced:
- supports title + text
- auto-realign if they would be (partly) offscreen - if realigning, they try to not cover the "hotspot"
- fading out nicely
- for gui-widgets I added a dynamically positioned arrow (switching direction when realigned to avoid offscreen)
- tooltips appear after an adjustable "dwell time"
- dwell time is shorter if you rapidly move over different tooltip-"hotspots" (useful for people "searching for something")
- draw functions could be overridden or you could assign _customFunction-hooks to call your own stuff
- gui-tooltip uses my sprite class which supports nine-patch-sprites and their content-padding-support. Tooltip class offers custom padding or dynamic padding via these sprites

Code is surely a bit "messy" but this happens if you do not just "if hovered then DrawRect();DrawText()".

I adjusted the "GUI-demo" to have some tooltips on the upper left widgets.
As this thread is about TVTower I prefer to show screenshots of the game rather then the framework.

dwell example:

themed:

bye
Ron

RustyKristi(Posted 2017) [#34]
@Derron,

looks keeps getting better. Awesome work Derron and this has improved a lot since the first time I saw it.

..and maybe we can see an android version anytime soon :P