BlitzBitz prototype open to public

Community Forums/Showcase/BlitzBitz prototype open to public

Cubed Inc.(Posted 2014) [#1]
The prototype of BlitzBitz is now available for public testing. The only the first chapter of the game is playable at this point.

http://www.filesnack.com/files/cdn3g3fn

I would really appreciate it if some of you would try out my three-month-and-counting long project. A lot of blood, sweat, and tears went into it.

Chapman7(Posted 2014) [#2]
What does the first chapter consist of?

Cubed Inc.(Posted 2014) [#3]
Four levels, a miniboss, a big boss, and several cutscenes. The game features music from Intelligent System's Super Paper Mario (disclaimer is present), as well as two easter eggs. One easter egg is obvious and light-hearted. and the other is more cryptic and eerie.

Cubed Inc.(Posted 2014) [#4]
There are screenshots of the game in the Blitz3d gallery, if you're curious.

Chapman7(Posted 2014) [#5]
Ah I gotcha! I had to run through the keyboards to get passed the dialog (since it doesn't say which button to press in the first cutscene) After I got passed that though, I thought the only thing there was was that little village area, I'll try again in a little bit and see if I can get further

Chapman7(Posted 2014) [#6]
Very nice man! Pretty impressive for only working on it for 3 months. btw how did you achieve the look in the opening with the logo, was it an image or text?

Cubed Inc.(Posted 2014) [#7]
Thank you very much! The opening logo is actually an image sized to fit the entire screen resolution (1366 by 768) so that it wouldn't appear stretched or blurred. The glow is apart of the image itself.
As for the dialog key, I'm going to add a little x-key icon by the textbox so that players won't have to 'run' through their keyboards like you had to. I really should have added it to begin with. Sorry about that.

Did you manage to play through the whole thing? I just want to know if you came across any bugs or glitches that I may have missed.

RemiD(Posted 2014) [#8]
I have tried your demo, i think this is a good start.
I especially like how you have associated different postures/facial expressions depending on what the characters say or hear.

I have only played a little bit, my only suggestion is to add a screen with the steps/missions/quests which have been completed and the active ones, because i admit that i have skipped some dialogues.

Cubed Inc.(Posted 2014) [#9]
I'll add a 'current objective' brief in the game's pause menu.

Cubed Inc.(Posted 2014) [#10]
Did you get stuck by any chance?

Matty(Posted 2014) [#11]
Any screenshots? Not willing to download something I can't at least see what it is first...

Why0Why(Posted 2014) [#12]
Information and screenshots would be great. What type of game is it?

Cubed Inc.(Posted 2014) [#13]
BlitzBitz is a 2d/3d platformer, kind of like New Super Mario Bros, but with more gameplay tricks and a level-up system.

http://s1153.photobucket.com/user/CubedInc/library/?sort=2&page=1

View this link to see a bunch of screenshots of the game (some contain minor differences from the available prototype).

Cubed Inc.(Posted 2014) [#14]
For anybody that may check out the link above, do the pictures of the game actually appear, or are they hidden? If you don't see anything, let me know so I can fix it. Photobucket's like the Obamacare of photo websites -_-

Matty(Posted 2014) [#15]
Yes the pictures in the link appear..

(well I could see them at least).

Cubed Inc.(Posted 2014) [#16]
Thanks for letting me know. I didn't want people going to an empty link, you know? Whenever I tried checking the link from my end, the whole page would be blank strangely enough. Just wanted to know if it was just me or not.

I also tried checking out some of your games from the link in your signature, but it just led to licensed Sega games in the app store.

Why0Why(Posted 2014) [#17]
Nice work!

Cubed Inc.(Posted 2014) [#18]
Thanks! Any complaints or anything you didn't like?

steve_ancell(Posted 2014) [#19]
Not running on my PC, I get the message "Unable to set graphics mode", and my PC is modern.

AMD Bulldozer FX8320 8-core @ 3.50mhz.
Windows 7 Ultimate.
16GB RAM.
Onboard ATI graphics: 3064mb.

Cubed Inc.(Posted 2014) [#20]
The screen resolution for BlitzBitz is 1366, 768, 32,1. Can you play other games at the same size? When I got Windows 8, I realized that some graphic resolutions in B3D no longer worked properly, like 1280,600,32,1.

steve_ancell(Posted 2014) [#21]
I'm pretty sure that using Graphics 0, 0 should set your game to the size of the desktop. Maybe that could help, worth a try. ;)

steve_ancell(Posted 2014) [#22]
I can go from 800 x 600 to 1920 x 1080, but I can't see 1366 x 768 in bewteen anywhere in my screen settings. :-/

Cubed Inc.(Posted 2014) [#23]
I'm sorry that I have to say this, but there's nothing I can do about BlitzBitz' graphic resolution; some things in the game require the resolution of the window to be 1366, 768, 32, 1 without looking all misplaced and missized. I'm sorry for poor foresight :/

LittleDave(Posted 2014) [#24]
1366x768 is a 15" laptop rez.

xlsior(Posted 2014) [#25]
1366x768 is one of the WXGA resolutions - more or less 720P. unfortunately it's far from universal: It's one of the in-between sizes, and some devices will only do 1360x768, or 1280x800 instead of the 1366x768 version.

Bottom line: You'll run into quite a few machines with displays that won't be able to handle your 1366x768 resolution, unfortunately...

You may want to check for the availability for some of those 'almost' resolutions, and see if you can squeeze those in... Especially the 1360x768 option, you only lose 6 pixels with that..

Yue(Posted 2014) [#26]
"Unable set mode graphics"

Yue(Posted 2014) [#27]
I will try to help, did not speak English, use google translator.

It is essential that the user can choose from several options screen resolution, I think your problem is that changing the resolution maybe some 2D objects do not fit properly on the screen, what I do is something like this.

DrawImage (Logo%,GraphicsWith()/2+100,Graphicsheight()/2)

So no matter the screen resolution will always remain in a position within that screen, with the game half the screen.

Good to scan resolutions supporting the user's computer and apply a universal graphic mode 800 x 600, 1024 x 768 and others will be at the option of the user.

A greeting.

Cubed Inc.(Posted 2014) [#28]
That method came to my mind, but unfortunately it wouldn't work in my case because the game uses actual sprites for its hud and title, not draw images.
I have an idea, however: after finishing the game, I can release several different versions that are each formatted to specific graphic resolutions. But for now, I'm just focusing on getting the game finished, and up and running well.

Brucey(Posted 2014) [#29]
I can release several different versions that are each formatted to specific graphic resolutions.

Heh! Seriously?

Cubed Inc.(Posted 2014) [#30]
You got any better ideas?

steve_ancell(Posted 2014) [#31]
Scale your sprites and images to the variables below and then multiply their
positions by those same variables, it works with my stuff. ;)

scaleX = GraphicsWidth() / your_actual_game_width
scaleY = GraphicsHeight() / your_actual_game_height

Cubed Inc.(Posted 2014) [#32]
Excellent idea! I'll be sure to try it out.