Blitz Hardwired - DirectX 9 Userlib (Part IV)

Community Forums/Showcase/Blitz Hardwired - DirectX 9 Userlib (Part IV)

Ploppy(Posted 2014) [#1]
New thread up, this one part 4 of at least 50 threads (I'm joking, or at least I hope so)...

GaryV(Posted 2014) [#2]
If you can keep Yue from posting the stupid screenshots, this thread should be able to go for a long time.

Yue(Posted 2014) [#3]
@ Ploppy i'am aware, if you do not post anything that is not working. and if it works put a picture.
Greetings.

GaryV(Posted 2014) [#4]
Yue, perhaps you would be happier finding another product to use and another community to use, since all you do is derail any thread you participate in with stupid graphics and screenshots of white cubes. If this forum had an ignore feature, your ass would be on it.

Rick Nasher(Posted 2014) [#5]
Common GaryV, pls lighten up(just a little bit, cos you were a bit provocative you must admit). Where is the love? Perhaps better to let Ploppy rule his own threads. We're here as guests. Tiresome this is, Joda says..

Ploppy(Posted 2014) [#6]
Hey, I'm a guest myself at the end of the day, this is blitz's forum. All I can say is that up until and including now everyone has been polite and respectuous of each other and this is what counts for me above all the rest; and I am very proud of this. I have been to some forums in the past and you have all sorts of things happening; swearing, insults and such. So counter-productive and unecessary.

I think personally that we should keep the threads light, that is to say as light in humour as in thread-size. It's good to keep things on fairly serious scale of course - this thread exists after all for a reason, to get hardwired to completion. But I like to keep things light-hearted enough, not too stuffy. However GaryV is right about one thing, Yue please keep those images to a reasonable size. And if you can avoid posting them for simple responses, even better. 'White cube' is better for me in a post than a image of a white cube that takes up the whole screen. When we can keep it short, let's do so.

I do not wish to ignore Yue at all, Yue is helping me debug my userlib like GaryV. And this they are both doing free of charge, even I would consider them 'bug-testers'. Yue has been following Hardwire's progress since the beginning so I would consider Yue as a very worthwhile participant and I take his input seriously as I do GaryV's input. Yue is just a bit enthusiastic with the images/youtube stuff, but that's all...

Ploppy(Posted 2014) [#7]
Note for Yue/GaryV, I have a new test out, what I have done this time is integrate the windows tutorial into my userlib to see if this works, please let me know if you see textures or not in the example. You should have a the banana texture in a window, when you close it, the earth texture on a cube should show...

Texture test

Steve Elliott(Posted 2014) [#8]
Works well here.

Ploppy(Posted 2014) [#9]
Sorry, this is for Yue and GaryV who are having problems getting my userlib working. In my last post I wrote

'not for Yue/GaryV'

, but I mean

'note for Yue/GaryV'...

Yue(Posted 2014) [#10]
Hello, when starting the application launches in a separate window, the texture of bananas, then throws the lib and that the cube is white.

Ploppy(Posted 2014) [#11]
Thanks Yue

Steve Elliott(Posted 2014) [#12]
Haha, mis-read...thought that said not for those guys...at least it works on Vista hey? ;)

Ploppy(Posted 2014) [#13]
Ok, new test

This time the ms banana demo uses my window function and not theirs.

Run this, you will see the banana texture window, wait 5 seconds (do not close window) and the earth texture window will appear ([Esc] to quit)...

Steve, I did originally write 'not', but by mistake, so I modified the text. Still, no harm done - if you're along for the ride you can always test this out, but you should be fine if it's working already.

Yue,GaryV however, please try again....
Texture test

Yue(Posted 2014) [#14]
I tried the executable and see the texture of banana, waited five seconds and goes blank cube. Also released the code and happens completely same.

Steve Elliott(Posted 2014) [#15]
Yeah, always worked here. Good to see somebody chasing the lower systems though. Not everybody does.

Ploppy(Posted 2014) [#16]
Okay, try again, Yue...

Subscribe to this thread too (bottom of this page), that way as soon as I post a new message you will know about it - this way we can communicate faster. Thanks for your help...

Texture test

GaryV(Posted 2014) [#17]
#07 Gold Cylinder then White Cube
#13 Gold Cylinder then White Cube
#16 Gold Cylinder then White Cube

Ploppy(Posted 2014) [#18]
Cheers GaryV, for info each time I update the texture test, I replace the old one - #07, #13 and #16 link to the same file.

Right, a new test is out

This time the ms demo uses my userlib's window AND the userlib's directx device.

Texture test

GaryV(Posted 2014) [#19]
#18 Userlib not fond

Ploppy(Posted 2014) [#20]
Try again, I forgot to put in the new dll

GaryV(Posted 2014) [#21]
#18 Gold Cylinder then White Cube

Hotshot2005(Posted 2014) [#22]
Just wondering what your Graphics card is? Mine is ATI 5870

Yue(Posted 2014) [#23]
White Cube.

Ploppy(Posted 2014) [#24]
I am getting closer to discovering the problem, please bear with me...

Ok one more test tonight...

Texture test

Yue(Posted 2014) [#25]
Cube color White.

GaryV(Posted 2014) [#26]
#24 Gold Cylinder then White Cube

Ploppy(Posted 2014) [#27]
Ok, new test will render both with same yellow banana texture....

Texture test

GaryV(Posted 2014) [#28]
#27 works as expected. Both are textured.

Ploppy(Posted 2014) [#29]
Great news, I'm at work now, so I can't continue until later. But I'm really beginning to home in on where the bug lies. Thanks for all your help up till now, it's priceless...

GaryV(Posted 2014) [#30]
No problem, glad to help and I know first hand how hard it can be to track down these obscure bugs. This is it for me for a while, I am heading to bed. Took four hours to get home (normally a 30 minute drive) because of the snow. Back up and leaving for work in three hours. Ugh!

Ploppy(Posted 2014) [#31]
Snow? Where are you in the world? Four hours, very tiring.

Anyway, the fact that GaryV manages to get a texture on the cube proves to me that this is definatly possible and the problem does not come from his machine but from my code. I think that when Yue tries this example he will get the same result.

From a process of elimination I have discovered that the problem does not come from the window initialisation routines and not from the directx init routines either. It either comes from the texture init, texture application or texture mapping coords. In any case, I am concentrating my forces on these areas now, and with a little luck we will be able to get this solved by the end of the weekend and then move on. That is at least my hope.

Once done, I think we will start a new thread too - that way we can get back onto the main topic...

(tu) ENAY(Posted 2014) [#32]
It's snowing over here in Tokyo too.

GaryV(Posted 2014) [#33]
Snow? Where are you in the world? Four hours, very tiring.
USA. I work in New Freedom, Pennsylvania and live in Bel Air, Maryland. I have a Dodge Nitro, and it is pretty unstoppable, but I only made it home because I have snow tires.

Ploppy(Posted 2014) [#34]
I have seen a lot about how most of the states is being snowed upon at the moment. Pretty, but not great for driving. Glad your car is kitted out for it at least.

Yue(Posted 2014) [#35]
Excellent Floppy. :), Perseverance and tenacity in the case are to imitate.

A greeting.

Ploppy(Posted 2014) [#36]
We haven't yet finished, but we're getting closer - we have made progress. Thanks once again for your patience.

So, here another test... please let me know what happens...

Texture test

Yue(Posted 2014) [#37]
Box color yellow.

Ploppy(Posted 2014) [#38]
Yellow and textures (with dark spots)?? Or just yellow?? I don't see well enough in image..

Yue(Posted 2014) [#39]
I only see the yellow color in the texture, no stains I see bananas.

Steve Elliott(Posted 2014) [#40]
Hahaha @ small image lol...One extreme to another. :D

Yue(Posted 2014) [#41]
@Steve jajaja
Is that my real problem is that I do not speak English, and try to refozar what I speak through images, and I use the translator of google, my native language is Spanish, in which case I make so small as to not disturb anyone.

Ploppy(Posted 2014) [#42]
Thanks Yue, this helps me a lot to know there are no spots. I think this could be a matrix problem.

Ploppy(Posted 2014) [#43]
Okay Yue, give it another try please... Your last image was fine, but I needed to know if it was textured. You didn't have to delete it.

Texture test

Steve, I do know what you're saying, that thought crossed my mind too. Ironic really. I promise I'm not trying to be difficult ;D

Yue(Posted 2014) [#44]
Ok, I see perfect texture banana. :D

Ploppy(Posted 2014) [#45]
Yue, we are almost there, I think...

If this new test shows an earth texture, then I will be normally able to compile a new userlib for this weekend. Please let me know if you get a good result....

Texture test

Yue(Posted 2014) [#46]
Perfect!! :)

Ploppy(Posted 2014) [#47]
Muchas muchas muchas gracias. Por la fin de la semana normalmente podemos todos utilizar mi programa, creo....

A maņana...

GaryV(Posted 2014) [#48]
#45 Get the gold cylinder and the earth cube.

Ploppy(Posted 2014) [#49]
Thanks GaryV, great news from both of you. I know where the problem comes from now in my code. I just have to tweak it correctly and things will be fine and stable. Perhaps one or two more test and I will be able to rebuild it all to a new stable release.

I'm working today (it's 6:00am here), so I won't be doing anything on the userlib until this evening...

Yue(Posted 2014) [#50]
Ok Floppy, is good news, here's midnight and I'm sleepy. Happy day.

Ploppy(Posted 2014) [#51]
Hi guys,
Okay, I have re-written some things in the userlib and have recompiled. Please try any bb demo and let me know if you see texture or not.

Please note - this is still test mode for Yue&GaryV - this may not work for the moment (but it may also :) )

Revised userlib test

GaryV(Posted 2014) [#52]
#51 I can't help with this one. I do not own Blitz3D and have no plans to purchase it.

Ploppy(Posted 2014) [#53]
But it works with blitzplus too, and that is free on blitz's site (top of this page, under products). That's one of the good things about my userlib - you don't need blitz3d to use it.. All the 3d commands you need are in the dll....

Just copy the blitzdx9.dll and blitzdx9.decls to your blitzplus/userlibs folder and it's installed....

Steve Elliott(Posted 2014) [#54]
So a free BR compiler that runs on a free 3D engine...How is this helping BR exactly? Hehe ;)

Ploppy(Posted 2014) [#55]
It's not financially helping BR, so to speak. It will financially help them as much as it will help me. But it certainly can help give a new lease of life to blitz the compiler. And, at the same time, this could help swing people back towards using blitz for the ones that abandoned it.

I don't think it'll ruin Blitz Research with this at the end of the day. If they released b+ freely they must know what they are doing. And if they didn't want people to create userlibs, they would never have created the option in the compilers. Thanks to Mark for this capability, possibly the most poweful part of his b+/b3d.

Yue(Posted 2014) [#56]
Perfect!! :D

GaryV(Posted 2014) [#57]
I'm happy to continue testing any compiled examples, but I haven't had BlitzPlus installed since I retired and have no plans to reinstall it.

Ploppy(Posted 2014) [#58]
Yue, great news - you have TEXTURES :D :D :D :D

Ploppy(Posted 2014) [#59]
GaryV, I have released the last archive with a compiled version of maze.bb, so you can see if it works on your system now...

Revised userlib test

GaryV(Posted 2014) [#60]
#59 Works fine

Ploppy(Posted 2014) [#61]
Okay, this is all good stuff, looks as though we are back on track now, texture problem solved. Thanks V much for your help guys.

Tomorrow I will clean up dll and rerelease it on new thread....

Steve Elliott(Posted 2014) [#62]

If they released b+ freely they must know what they are doing.

Erm, not really in my opinion. But Monkey is getting some marketing now, so I don't really think they care.

Anyway, you're doing a great job and Blitz plus is a good compiler. My tongue was in-cheek. :)

Ploppy(Posted 2014) [#63]
Yep, quite possible...

Steve Elliott(Posted 2014) [#64]
Yes, they're chasing the multi-platform dream...but you're right, any publicity will filter through.

OJay(Posted 2014) [#65]
hi there!

uhm, not sure if it supposed to look like that, but im getting some heavy z-errors: http://abload.de/img/untitledasss7.jpg
but at least textures huh? ;D

btw: if im allowed i'd like to make two suggestions:
1. it would be good to version number releases. updating the same file over and over can lead to a lot of misunderstandings...no one knows which version one got, and we dont know which one is latest. also there might be some http proxies out there, that dont see the file being updated and might still deliver the old version! also, having the project name in the download would be good as well, dont you think? :) something like that: blitzhardwired_001.zip, blitzhardwired_002.zip etc is also a lot more professional at 0 costs :D
2. the demos/tests have zero intendation, which makes it hard to read it...i know its early days and all, but having clean formatting should be a coders abc, shouldnt it? :X

but good job so far, really like it!

cheers,
olli

GaryV(Posted 2014) [#66]
uhm, not sure if it supposed to look like that, but im getting some heavy z-errors:
but at least textures huh? ;D
I got that, too.

*edited* Sorry, left his link in the quote and it stuck the pic in my post.

Ploppy(Posted 2014) [#67]
Yep, like I said, I have to do some clean-up now.

As for the clipping/z-buffer problem, just change

dxCameraRange cam,.0001,1000

to something a little closer, should sort you out...

dxCameraRange cam,.1,1000

Ojay, I'm no rembrandt in code, if you think my bb code is messy you should see my c++ source!! But there we go, WYSIWYG. My bb code is written quickly with one goal in mind - to demonstrate certain aspects of my userlib, nothing more - nothing less. There may well be bugs in these bb - they are sloppily written I admit. But this is not my concern. If you wish to reconstruct my code so that it meet international standards then please do so and post it, I will add it to the archive. You have to understand that I visit and revisit all the bb examples many times during my coding sessions, I change certain values and move parts of code in the bb routine to see how it reacts to my source. This is a major reason of why the code may not be too clear for some.

Ploppy(Posted 2014) [#68]
New thread...