The Chimney Luck

Community Forums/Showcase/The Chimney Luck

StarGazer(Posted 2014) [#1]
Hello everyone,

I want to introduce my project , where I already are working a long time.
This is a classic retro style platformer.
Great story , there is not yet . I have a idea, but must be considered in more detail .
The game itself has except dexterity elements, some combinations that are executed with two different characters, which can alternately explore the worlds.
Each character has their own skills , and playing the levels in a different season. As a result, always different level structures arise.
So both characters with their abilities, can enter their own specific areas.
In addition, level areas can be changed permanently, so that when re-play the level, opening up new areas for the second character.
Through this combination, you can explore all hidden areas.
However, this is not mandatory. Who wants to simply run the levels to have fun, can do this with the character of his choice, without having to change the figure.
The secret areas are for those who have fun to explore everything, and to unlock the Extras.

[EDIT] The game was programmed with BlitzMax, so it will be released for Windows, Mac and Linux. Mac is more difficult, because I still have to buy it.

I have created a video for the game that provides a brief overview.
Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-g7WaqFv8I

[EDIT]
I'm working on the game already are about one and a half years.
Up to consummation, is still much work to be done.
For this, a Crowdfunding was launched to support this.
This could lot help the project to complete it. It would be great if you spread it.
Crowdfunding: http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-chimney-luck

as well as a few more pages to support this.
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Chimney-Luck/1401626793426580
Twitter: https://twitter.com/adamsprys
[EDIT]

Here is the official website to the game. Is still under development.

here are 2 screens

Ploppy(Posted 2014) [#2]
This is great - was this done with blitz??

StarGazer(Posted 2014) [#3]
Thank you.

The game was programmed with BlitzMax, so it will be released for Windows, Mac and Linux.

Steve Elliott(Posted 2014) [#4]
Yeah looks good :)

GfK(Posted 2014) [#5]
Nice looking game. I don't like or understand the title, though.

big10p(Posted 2014) [#6]
Fantastic looking game. Very well done!

therevills(Posted 2014) [#7]
Looks great!

I don't like or understand the title, though.

My guess is that character is a Chimney Sweep (of course)... but also he is Irish (since it looks like you collect 4 leaf clovers....)

@StarGazer
I'd suggest you create a shorter, more action video to grab the attention - as a developer I like the video as it shows lots, but you dont want to show too much ;)

StarGazer(Posted 2014) [#8]
Thank you all!

The title of the game is to mean
the happiness that comes through the chimney.
But "chimney happiness" does not sound so great.

I made the video for a Kamapgne, to explain the gameplay for the people, and i hope that they like it and support it.
Crowdfunding: http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/the-chimney-luck

as well as a Facebook and Twitterpage
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Chimney-Luck/1401626793426580
Twitter: https://twitter.com/adamsprys

Chalky(Posted 2014) [#9]
Love the graphical style, Neat taut-wire effect. Looks really polished.

xlsior(Posted 2014) [#10]
Just outy of curiosity -- what is your native language?

"Happiness that comes through the chimney" makes very little sense to me either. :-?

Steve Elliott(Posted 2014) [#11]
Yeah, I wondered that after the explanation. I don't think the name makes much sense - how about Sweep Surprise?

Ploppy(Posted 2014) [#12]
Makes me think of the old Amiga game 'soccerkid' for some reason, that was great. Guess I'm just nostalgic...

GfK(Posted 2014) [#13]
Makes me think of the old Amiga game 'soccerkid' for some reason, that was great. Guess I'm just nostalgic...
It reminded me of Sleepwalker, with the bouncy wires.

Why0Why(Posted 2014) [#14]
Stargazer, it looks great! I do agree with the others, the name isn't right for a native English speaker. Can we make suggestions to help with it?

Derron(Posted 2014) [#15]
Albeit his website is available in German too ... German does not seem to be his Mother language.

"Kampagne" is German for campaign.

The indigogo-page has some spelling mistakes too ("charakter" - like the German "Charakter" instead of "character" and others). Maybe he has dyslexia (not making fun out of it) or is coming from another country and mixed something.

At least I remember some of the games listed in "werdegang"[sic!]/"career"... just had a installment of "settlers 2" 3 weeks ago (girl friend wanted to play that little gem).

There are some really good looking assets used in the game but for me - just my personal opinion - such "old school" jump'n'runs are more suited to the freegame area (have played many good free games... including SantaClaus in Trouble - which was a "limited freegame"). Will get hard to reach the funding you target.

@Title of the game:
I thought of it the same way as therevills did.

bye
Ron

GfK(Posted 2014) [#16]
Just discovered this on Wikipedia:

As a Lucky symbol, depictions of chimney sweeps are a popular New Year's gift in Germany; either as small ornaments attached to flower bouquets or candy, e.g. marzipan chimney sweeps.[citation needed]. Their traditional uniform is an all black suit with golden jacket buttons and a black tophat.

But I still don't think it will make any sense to anyone outside of Germany.

Derron(Posted 2014) [#17]
Yeah ... the "Schornsteinfeger" (that is the German word for chimney sweeps) are a symbol of bringing luck to others. It is like the 4 leaf clover and other things.

Rumble at the chimney.... sounds better than "roof action" (this somehow sounds filthy to me :D)

Just call it "Chimney Chaos", "Roof Rampage" or simple "On the roof" ... or ... leave it as it is - it is your game.

bye
Ron

StarGazer(Posted 2014) [#18]
I am from Germany, my English is therefore not so perfectly ^^
I can no longer change the campaign name, but I would be happy about naming suggestions.
The name I can change anyway. Only if action does not go.

The chimney luck, it is,
because the chimney sweep has to do with fireplaces, as well as the Santa Claus.
Therefore, I got the idea "chimney luck".

ps:
I'm looking for the spelling ^^
Thanks.

Steve Elliott(Posted 2014) [#19]
Well you have my suggestion - Sweep Surprise...The current name doesn't make much sense in English...But your English is far better than my German! ;)

Or Sweep Santa Surprise!

big10p(Posted 2014) [#20]
Chimney sweeps are considered lucky here, too - that's why they get invited to weddings.

The game name is growing on me. It's got a certain charm to it.

GaryV(Posted 2014) [#21]
The name made no sense to me, but I do understand it now. Perhaps a simple intro screen to explain the "Legend and Lore" behind the name would be in order, and I think would add to the charm of the game.

Steve Elliott(Posted 2014) [#22]
Yeah, I understand it, but it's a real bad name choice. Especially with rhyming slang.

The pixel art and game play does impress though - the main thing :)

Blitzplotter(Posted 2014) [#23]
Great looking game - good luck with it!

What about Chimney Sweep Surprise?

Brucey(Posted 2014) [#24]
Game looks great StarGazer.

I like the name of the game. You should definitely keep it as is.

I guess people just need a bit more imagination or whatever. Otherwise you may as well call it something like "Chimney Crush Candy Sweep" - for something that people can relate to?
But I understand why some people need the title of a game to be conventional, as they have a fixed idea of how things should be.

Derron(Posted 2014) [#25]
@Brucey
If you got no hype till release, a "descriptive" name can attract more people. If you have a big budget and a huge ad-company backing you - you can come up with a "cool/stylish" name.
"Chimney Luck" does not sound that fast-paced like "Roof Rampage" - so I assume the first one would attract a more femalish-audience than the second one.

@Chimney Luck
sure it has some "sound" when reading it but when translated it does not make that much sense to me (maybe if your Mother language is English you understand it in a differing way - but mine is German).

@StarGazer
Does the game include some retro-styles soundtracks? I can imagine that such a "retro looking" game also needs some music of the early 90s ... synthie sound :D.

bye
Ron

BlitzSupport(Posted 2014) [#26]
Another vote for keeping the slightly odd name -- it has a certain charm and would help the game stand out way more than any of the suggestions I've read!

Looks great too!

Derron(Posted 2014) [#27]
Just give Santa Clause a slight "Russian" or "Finnish" dialect... as I do not know how "NorthPole-ish" sounds :D ... when jumping into a chimney he just has to say "Wish me luck" or so ... and it may explain itself why it is called "The Chimney Luck".

Or call the sweeper "Luck" :p.

bye
Ron

Brucey(Posted 2014) [#28]
Just give Santa Clause a slight "Russian" or "Finnish" dialect

Painting him blue will help too in that case :-p

StarGazer(Posted 2014) [#29]
The name seems really something unintelligible ^^
I have been using the name sweep only the problem that seems cheap, such as a cleaning aid ^^
Maybe would "chimney surprise" be better?.

@Derron
in German would sound "Das Schornsteinglück"
I think that is understandable when you see the sweeper and the Santa.
I think ^^

Pingus(Posted 2014) [#30]
Nice retro-style design.

What about "Lucky Sweep" (I'm not english either, really don't know) ?

If the game is 'only' 50% you still have... well 90% of the work in front of you ;/
Why not switching to Monkey and directly try to target tablets with a game maybe ready for next Xmas time ?

Derron(Posted 2014) [#31]
@"Das Schornsteinglück"
My Mother tongue is German and for me this sounds like the episode of something. It does not sound "general" enough. Imagine a comedy series ... the "Schornsteinglück" would then be something which happens as a running gag during an episode ... remember: this only sounds TO ME that way.

"Sweep" - sure it sounds a bit like "Magic Sweeper" ... but hey, even "Sweeper Deluxe" would be accepted by a potential female audience (albeit it sounds like a Match3-or-other-Block-Removal-game).

Maybe even we Germans are overrun by English titles so the German ones just sound a bit "dull"/"not spectacular enough". So don't feel offended by my personal opinion.

@platformers on mobile platforms:
I don't like games with controls on the screen just to emulate the nice controls using keyboard or gamepad. When targeting a mobile platform you should produce the game mechanics around the limitations and possibilities of a device type (gyro sensors for movement, special events needing "swishes" on the screen ...).

bye
Ron

RLpacifist(Posted 2014) [#32]
Even though I instantly got the idea of "chimney luck", also German here, I think it sounds a little too random. The first thing that came to mind was something more retro-sounding/straight forward like "chimney jumpers".

simonh(Posted 2014) [#33]
Definitely feeling the Soccer Kid vibe! Has the same pixel-art style. Looks great.