Grimoire of worlds

Community Forums/Showcase/Grimoire of worlds

grindalf(Posted 2014) [#1]
So I've been working on a proceduraly generated RPG called the Grimoire of worlds.
Not really got a lot working yet but I thought I would post a few pics of what I've got working so far.
I'm using the Perlin example from the code Archives(thanks to sswift) to generate the terrains. And a bit of code I wrote that generates the colormap according to height or angle of the terrain.
Using some modified trees from the old treemagik program and from the simple tree creator.
The character is just temporary(although I will be probably going for the same sort of style)

Ploppy(Posted 2014) [#2]
Real cute.

Who was John Galt?(Posted 2014) [#3]
Lookin' good!

RemiD(Posted 2014) [#4]
I like this kind of simple graphics. Well done.

You wrote "the terrains", does this mean that there are several terrains which tile with others terrains ? If yes, can you please explain how you manage to progressively load then build or save then destroy the terrains without the player noticing the process ? I have already several ideas to achieve this, but i am curious about what you do.
Thanks,

Yue(Posted 2014) [#5]
TED terrain generator has the ability to create a terrain with multiple quadrants that are children of the mesh. In this case when charging is set behind the fog that children are not visible and do not render and the terrain is extremely huge.

Rick Nasher(Posted 2014) [#6]
Looking pretty good, but for some weird reason the game character annoys me to the point a want to strangle her/it. ;-)

grindalf(Posted 2014) [#7]
thanks Ploppy, thanks John
@RemiD I have a few seconds of loading time as I delete the far 3 terrains and load in the next 3 terrains. I just have the game pause as it does it.
Im sorry to hear that Rick. She will be changed at a later point but the style will probably stay the same

RemiD(Posted 2014) [#8]
grindalf>>ok i see.

Xilvan(Posted 2014) [#9]
This game look great.

Friendly,
Alex,
Xilvan Design

grindalf(Posted 2014) [#10]
So Ive not been working on this very much(I can be lazy sometimes.... a lot)
But I have got villages and cities working ok

here are a few shots of the city generation

Going to add in npcs next

AdamStrange(Posted 2014) [#11]
great pics - reminds me of a primitive Oblivion/Skyrim village :)

Steve Elliott(Posted 2014) [#12]

great pics - reminds me of a primitive Oblivion/Skyrim village :)

Minecraft meets Zelda? :)

grindalf(Posted 2014) [#13]
Thanks guys and yes Steve that's kinda what Im going for(but without the mining)

grindalf(Posted 2014) [#14]
Well I took a break from this for a while but I'm back on it now.
I improved the world creation program.

I've been working on the terrain blending program quite a bit.
Terrains now get created and load a lot faster but I still have a little bit of a jerk.

Also been working on different biomes ect

I'm hoping to have enemies and combat sorted out soon.

BTW:check out my facebook page
https://www.facebook.com/grimoireofworlds

RemiD(Posted 2014) [#15]
I like the graphics style, except the trees which look too symmetrical/have not enough variations.

What will the combat system consist in ?

If the world is "6706 square kilometers", what is the scale of each terrain (by default for one pixel there is one vertex at each 1xunit,1zunit), and how do you store the infos of the terrains if there are so many terrains ?

You may be interested in this topic :
http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=99410

Don't hesitate to post a demo, i am curious to test.

Good luck for the next steps, bits !

grindalf(Posted 2014) [#16]
Combat will be real time action, think Zelda and you will more or less there :P
Gameplay will probably be an awful lot like Cube World(Although Ive never played it. It won't work on any of my computers but Ive seen the youtube videos and it has the feel Im going for)

Each terrain is a 64x64 greyscale when it is in world it is 1260x1260 units.
I have a grid of pivots and as you get within range of a pivot the program checks if the file exists and then loads it or if it has never been visited before the terrain is then generated and loaded. As you go out of range they are removed. I have a noticeable jerk at the moment as a terrain is created/loaded but I know I can reduce that so Im not to worried about it at the moment(Although I don't think I can remove it entirely)
The meshes that I use a lot(trees) are preloaded and I just use copy mesh on them.

I will probably hold off from posting a demo until there is at least something playable.

RemiD(Posted 2014) [#17]
Ok. There is no magic solution, if you want to have a large world with terrains, you must scale up each terrain... x19.687 in this case.

grindalf(Posted 2014) [#18]
yeah pretty much.
I played around with having larger terrains and loading the next one as you touch the edge, but I really wanted a seamless world so to reduce load times I had to go with much smaller terrains stitched together. a 64x64 terrain scaled to 1260x1260 units is still a pretty large area and still gives enough area for interesting terrains.

EDIT: Just finished reading your link.
And I will say one thing my terrains are of course MUCH smaller than yours(12kb) so take up much less space but Im saving them as *.bmp because thats all vanilla blitz can save to. But I make use of the extra space in the file I only use the red color for the greyscale itself, the green and blue are used for prop placement(trees, buildings ect) so I save a little bit of space there

RemiD(Posted 2014) [#19]
Yes, i was using terrains with one vertex each 1xunit,1zunit because i wanted to be able to dig precisely enough in the terrain.

Daggerfall also used scaled up terrains for his large world, this is probably the best approach...

grindalf(Posted 2014) [#20]
Yeah I would have liked to dig into the terrains but like you say then the sizing has to be a bit more exact and that would then be a lot more strain on the rest of the game. I may still be able to do some stuff like the spells from magic carpet but we shall have to see