Unofficial Blitz Basic Source Repository

Community Forums/Showcase/Unofficial Blitz Basic Source Repository

Guy Fawkes(Posted 2014) [#1]

big10p(Posted 2014) [#2]
I don't mean to be argumentative, but what will this offer that the code archives don't? All code there is already open source.

Guy Fawkes(Posted 2014) [#3]
It will allow us to save files just incase the server that's hosting a particular file goes down. Files such as GUIs, terrain code, etc..

Brucey(Posted 2014) [#4]
what will this offer that the code archives don't?

I suppose the most obvious difference is that the code archives are Public Domain and this new repository appears to be under GPL license.

Public Domain means you are revoking your rights to your creation.
GPL is rather different.

Yasha(Posted 2014) [#5]
let me know here and I will post your open source code to the unofficial Blitzbasic Github repository! Please be sure to add your name(s) to the source code file, and I will upload it as a zip.

All other things aside, that's a really inefficient way to use GitHub. You should use the builtin Pull Request system and fully integrate submissions into the project. Git and GitHub will take care of tracking who contributed what, when, what version etc., for you.

(Also because GitHub doesn't approve of binaries - that's why they removed the "downloads" section from new projects - the system is already designed to manage sources, let it do its job.)

Guy Fawkes(Posted 2014) [#6]
Well, what would you experts suggest I create it with? (Something free, preferably).

big10p(Posted 2014) [#7]
Well, anything I have in the code archives anyone is free to use and abuse as they see fit. It's just hobby code. :)

Guy Fawkes(Posted 2014) [#8]
This is supposed to be for backing up stuff such as GG's 3D curves which recently went offline which is in the Toolbox, which LUCKILY, I was able to recover with waybackmachine, but most of the time, I don't get lucky with waybackmachine on this site.

xlsior(Posted 2014) [#9]
I suppose the most obvious difference is that the code archives are Public Domain and this new repository appears to be under GPL license.

Which immediately dramatically reduces the usability of any submitted source code:

Public domain sourced can be used by anyone, for anything, including in closed-source commercial software.

In contrast, including GPL-licensed sourcecode in your program means that you're also required to license your own program as GPL, and release the full source to anyone who asks for it. (Hence GPL sometimes being referred to as a 'viral' license)

Perhaps you may want to look into a more permissive lciensing model, such as BSD?

GaryV(Posted 2014) [#10]
So basically you want to take the work of other people, put it on your site, change the license to something which forces all derivative projects to be open source under GPL, forcing them to give you more code for your site. You are putting a tremendous amount of work into trying to make a name for yourself off of the hard work of other users.

Guy Fawkes(Posted 2014) [#11]
No. Did I say that? You can stop accusing me, any time now.

RemiD(Posted 2014) [#12]
I don't think this will be well perceived if you take the code posted on this website and put it on another website.

I have posted code examples to blitzbasic.com for blitz3d users, not for guyfawkes.com.

What's the point of doing that anyway ? Blitz research must have backups.

Guy Fawkes(Posted 2014) [#13]
Again, the point of this is to take the OFFLINE code that people may still have stored on their computers, and put it into a permanent place so that it never goes offline again.

GaryV(Posted 2014) [#14]
http://blitzbasic.com/Community/post.php?topic=101972&post=1214809

Guy Fawkes(Posted 2014) [#15]
Gary, leave me ALONE! I did NOTHING to you!

xlsior(Posted 2014) [#16]
I have posted examples to blitzbasic.com for blitz3d users, not for guyfawkes.com

That doesn't really matter: With the code archives being public domain, anyone can do whatever they want with the code posted there -- including reposting it to guyfawkes.com.

Guy Fawkes(Posted 2014) [#17]
^

RemiD(Posted 2014) [#18]
Except i don't live in the united states, i live in France :
"Dans les pays qui appliquent le droit d'auteur, comme la France, certains droits demeurent, même lorsque l'œuvre est dans le domaine public, le droit moral ne pouvant faire l'objet d'une renonciation."
http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domaine_public_(propri%C3%A9t%C3%A9_intellectuelle)

I have no problem if people use my code examples to learn blitzbasic or use it in their programs but i have a problem if Guy Fawkes post copies of my code examples on his website and make it appear as if he was the author.

GaryV(Posted 2014) [#19]
Gary, leave me ALONE! I did NOTHING to you!
Sure, you have Thundros. Whether wanting to rape and pillage the work of others and take advantage of their generosity, or your ridiculous feature requests trying to kill some awesome 3rd party 3D engines, you have done a lot to me and the rest of the community.

Derron(Posted 2014) [#20]

I have no problem if people use my code examples to learn blitzbasic or use it in their programs but i have a problem if Guy Fawkes post copies of my code examples on his website and make it appear as if he was the author.

Who cares? You by your own cited about PD in France - this is the same than in Germany. You can not sell "copyright" at all. You will be the "author" of something forever. But you can sell the "exclusive rights to use" - so sell that only company X may sell your book, sell that right to someone else, ... .

You declared the code "public domain" (if you put it to the code archives). Means: everyone can do everything with it. Exception is to claim to be the author of it. Think of it as selling the "exclusive right" to everyone with the result of being absolutely non-exlusive at all :D.

So the only portion of that quote ("claim to be the author") is something which others are not allowed. That "putting online" wont be a problem at all.

@all who dare:
Stop posting in something which makes your work PD. Just think about licences before going d'accord with them. Anyone can do nearly anything (exception claiming being the author) with that code... print it on toilet paper, put in on a webpage, ...

Maybe you should flame others if they put the BRL-PD-modules on GitHub or their personal pages ... hmm I am quite sure this already happened...

Albeit Brucey already mentioned the potential PD->GPL-change: it is allowed, like said: everybody can do everything with PD code (with mentioned exception). They could even sell it without the authors approval.

bye
Ron

RemiD(Posted 2014) [#21]

Means: everyone can do everything with it. Exception is to claim to be the author of it.

Fair enough for me.

Derron(Posted 2014) [#22]
For you (RemiD) as a french man "droit moral" should be of interest (lifetime "copyright").

But there is the "principle of country protection" (in Germany we call it "Schutzlandprinzip") which says: you have to respect the laws of the country there the law wants to get "used".
For a better understanding: For you as a inhabitant of France it is forbidden to take a picture of the Eiffel tower at night - and publish it on your french blog. I as a inhabitant of Germany can take such a picture and publish it on my German blog. In Germany we call this "Panoramafreiheit" - but this is just an example of that "principle of country protection".
If you sell things in your country it is clear what country is meant, but if you publish on the internet, the main targeted audience is important. For websites they mostly think of: where is it hosted, what is the main target audience.

So what is all this fuzz about? If Mr. Fawkes is from Togo and only hosting in Togolese (ok they speak French) only the Togolese laws are important for him. Means: how do they interpret "Public Domain".

But of course this is "vice versa" - if he wants to take code from someone else he has to look what kind of "Public Domain" that other country has.

You may recognize now, that even Public Domain is not Public Domain :D.

According to the above thoughts it might even be possible that the author-ship can be removed/changed (but I really doubt).

Before I forget to add another thought: Instead of Public Domain that code in the forums should be better have licenced as CopyLeft ("CC share alike" etc.) as you then could force others to keep licences, mention authors, ... .

bye
Ron

dawlane(Posted 2014) [#23]
Simple solution:
Remove the GPL license.
Add a statement that is visible to all, declaring that you are not the author of any works/code apart from those that you have written yourself. And the authors are credited within their works.
Also declare that "Unless otherwise stated. All works/code are released as CopyLeft. http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/"
You should then add a sub directory containing all of the license in full.

You should also include in the statement something along the lines of...
Any code that is added.
1) If possible, permission will be asked for first to reproduce works/code. If there are no know license issues and the author is unattainable after a period of time, any works/code that are added, and at a later date the author makes contact and request that such works/code be remove it shall be removed and/or if the author wishes to make changes the license or terms of use. It shall so be done.
2) At the top of each code file. There will be the license declaration or terms of use, the name of the author, and where the original works/code is sited for contact details and if possible contact details.

The best thing though is to get legal advice on this matter.

Derron(Posted 2014) [#24]
CopyLeft =/= Public Domain

CopyLeft is already a restriction compared to Public Domain.
so better state which licence the code was (refering to the "Public Domain"-licence a site like blitzmax.com can mean).

@At the top of each code file:
If the author does not have such a statement left in his code - it means: the author just seemed to provide "open source" views at his code. No usage allowance etc. was given if not stated.

@Public Domain in general:
If you offer code you did not write - and put it into a Public Domain archive - there is no warranty for 3rd parties that you were the author and had the rights to publish that piece of code (compare the thread about the MODs of older games).

bye
Ron

RemiD(Posted 2014) [#25]
Even if i'd live in the USA and the code is public domain, there is no reason to remove the author name. I don't think anyone can take a book written 140years ago or more (now public domain) and put his name on it, and then sell it, or distribute it for free to improve his reputation or to earn money with others means.

Guy Fawkes(Posted 2014) [#26]
Again, NO ONE SAID the code's author would be removed. Did I say that? NO. I did NOT.

RemiD(Posted 2014) [#27]
Ok. No need to SCREAM.

Derron(Posted 2014) [#28]

I don't think anyone can take a book written 140years ago or more (now public domain) and put his name on it, and then sell it, or distribute it for free to improve his reputation or to earn money with others means.

Are you really sure about this? :D

If you take a book which is now "PD" and bundle it with your own work - you can write your name on the cover and sell the new product. Surely your work has to be of a certain level.

Earning money is possible without custom work done (just find somebody who wants to buy the PD-work).

bye
Ron

RemiD(Posted 2014) [#29]

If you take a book which is now "PD" and bundle it with your own work - you can write your name on the cover and sell the new product.

Yes i have seen this, but the original author was cited, and there was an additional work added, for example some interpretations of the writings of the old book, or some commentaries, or some added thoughts, but i have never seen somebody take a book which is public domain, then replace the author name by his name, and then sell it as if he was the author. If it is possible, i think this is unfair.

Derron(Posted 2014) [#30]
@PD-relabeling.
Nope that is not possible (especially not in Germany/France ... countries with non-sellable-copyrights).

(Keep in mind: this is not what Mr. Fawkes wants to do.)

bye
Ron

Guy Fawkes(Posted 2014) [#31]
Exactly what Derron said. I am SO sick and TIRED of being accused by a few people on this forum for what I USED to be. NOT who I am now. I learned MY lesson, now it's time you few people whom I am NOT naming names, learned yours.

Brucey(Posted 2014) [#32]
Public Domain means it is free for all to do with as they please.

I could take useful source from the archives here, put my name on it and sell it if I wanted to - without the fear of the author coming along later and claiming I didn't have the right to do it, since they'd relinquished all rights by making it public domain.

Perhaps some people don't understand what the Public Domain is.

However, this is all off-topic really. I'm sure "Guy" is having such a nice time here...

Guy Fawkes(Posted 2014) [#33]
Yea. Either get to the point, or please leave. I welcome everyone who wishes to be helpful here. And ONLY helpful.

Rick Nasher(Posted 2014) [#34]
Ok, I dunno what you did to piss off sooo many people GF(besides being bit rude and anoying sometimes ;-) but I think they don't really get what you're trying to do here, which I think is very simple:

Anyone just go into they codearchives and find some source with media: 99% of the time you'll find the host of the media is dead and files are lost forever. Same goes for files that were declared public and free to use by the authors in the toolbox area.

So hence the need for a central place to store them *permanently* for all to use as Blitz Research doesn't offer a place for this(which I think they should). Some appreciation for the attempt is in place and suggestions for the optimum way to do it are OK of course, but beating you up??

(Like I said before: I know there still is good in him (Darth Fawkes), he hasn't been turned completely to the dark side..)

Guy Fawkes(Posted 2014) [#35]
THANK you, Rick. FINALLY, someone with some COMMON SENSE! ><

D4NM4N(Posted 2014) [#36]
Im just wondering why you have committed a GPL licence :/ You need to remove that straight away and have the users upload their own licences with their code.
Any open source code uploaded to your repo would be under a (not only false) but illegally changed licence. (unless of course it was already GPL, but GPL is only useful for complete programs, not for libs or code snips (which no self respecting programmer would touch with a bargepole)

Guy Fawkes(Posted 2014) [#37]
Again... Do any of you coders out there know of a better website to do this with? -.-

D4NM4N(Posted 2014) [#38]
Well github is fine... when used properly (i suggest you look at what Yasha said)

Personally i prefer Atlassian's BitBucket to github because of it's nice intergration with Jira and Sourcetree.

Guy Fawkes(Posted 2014) [#39]
Ok. I will take a look a bit later. I'm working on my project right now.

GaryV(Posted 2014) [#40]
Anyone just go into they codearchives and find some source with media: 99% of the time you'll find the host of the media is dead and files are lost forever.
In the code archives, only the code is declared public domain, not the accompanying files. Because the authors of the post own the copyright on their files, they have the right to pull their files off the web anytime they wish. If they wish to stop distributing their files, that does not give Guy Fawkes or anybody else permission to violate copyright law and redistribute their files without permission.

Same goes for files that were declared public and free to use by the authors in the toolbox area.
Again, the authors own the copyright on their work and can pull it anytime they wish. Just because they choose to pull it does not give Guy Fawkes permission to violate copyright law and redistribute their files without permission.

Derron(Posted 2014) [#41]
I could take useful source from the archives here, put my name on it and sell it if I wanted to - without the fear of the author coming along later and claiming I didn't have the right to do it, since they'd relinquished all rights by making it public domain.

Have a nice try doing this in Germany. Like I said some posts above: There are countries which do not allow selling/giving away the copyright at all (search with CTRL+F for "droit moral" on this page). in Germany/France you can sell/give away exclusive rights so that rights-holder can do what he want with it - exception changing the "author-ship" (the author's name).

There is no real "Public Domain" in these countries, but we could use "CopyLeft" (cc licences). But there is another aspect - that is named "principle of country protection" (CTRL+F "Schutzland" for that post) - which could allows putting your name under a PD work - but you then should avoid publishing it in a country like Germany/France - then the author could sue you (using a lawyer in your country) as you infringed copyright in that given country. Sure, the "penalty" is then also dependend on the involved countries.

@files gone to cemetery:
If those (asset-) files had a licence "public domain" you can rehost them as you wish. If no licence was given (only the "put into Public Domain" code because of being pasted in the code archives) the assets are private property of the creator and should be handled that way (no copy/usage/... without allowance).

Means: no violation of laws if just "hosting" PD-code/assets - except the PD-code/assets already were ripped things originally not PD'd. In that case the owner could even sue the "hoster" - and then the "hosters" task is to get back the money from the original bad boy (if he could get his name and proof his guiltyness).

PS: a good "index page" for useful BMX-Codearchives would be nice... think many gems could be recognized as such then.

bye
Ron

Guy Fawkes(Posted 2014) [#42]
You know what? I am SICK and TIRED of your crappy attitudes towards me. Here, I am trying to make an effort to be nice to those I hate, GARYV, DERRON, but I see I can't do that. So you know what?! Scrap the WHOLE thing. I'm done!

Mods, LOCK this!

Yue(Posted 2014) [#43]
At some point I can think I'm a criminal, but deep down we all act with double standards.

My computer has all pirate, well it is only legal Blitz3D.

Derron(Posted 2014) [#44]
Should I ask myself why I got "hated"? Did I say something against the thing you want to achieve?

Thought I supported the action you are doing and just said to others what people have to take care of.

But anyway, you can "hate" who you want. Have fun.

bye
Ron

RemiD(Posted 2014) [#45]
I think this discussion has been helpful to clarify what "public domain" means.
No need to hate anybody...
Just include the author's name with the code example that you decide to put on your website and it's all good.

Guy Fawkes(Posted 2014) [#46]
Nope. I'm not doing it anymore. You can thank GaryV for that. I'm SICK of being PUSHED AROUND on here. I've already learned MY lesson, now it's about high time he learns his or leaves me alone. Either or would be fine. -.-

Rick Nasher(Posted 2014) [#47]
Really aren't we making too much a big deal about all this legal/illegal stuff if an author *declared* it already free? Come on: getting sued for hosting a couple of jpg's and code supplied free by an indee??

Sounds a bit like nitpicking to me. Doubt that would ever ever happen. Would be something else if you would host FastExtensions Retail version without asking MikaelV, but anyway.. guess Guy Fawkes blew up his Palace already.