Verve Painter

Community Forums/Showcase/Verve Painter

Taron(Posted 2014) [#1]
Happy New Year, Everyone!

It's a little early, but I'd like to share with you my current BlitzMax pet-project development "Verve" and invite you to have a go, see if it's fun for you, too. It's a GLSL fluid dynamics experiment gone painter. Thus you better have a decent GFX board lest it won't fly, I'm afraid. There are also differences between cards, because I'm a lousy and reckless coder, but if you happen to be on Nvidia; Yehah!

Verve Demo 01
Verve Demo 02
Verve Demo 03
Verve FlatTop sketch
Verve 3 minute Galaxy

Visit the Verve forum for downloads, info and galleries

You don't have to register to download and browse around, but I'd be thrilled to get feedback and see the gallery grow a little. :)

You'll certainly find plenty of short-comings and many features still require Hotkeys to be used, but it's definitely something to play with already.

Since it is a pet-project development is irregular, but it tends to leap every now and then, when I get the chance. 8}

However, I hope you get a kick out of it and am looking forward to seeing some fresh doodles!

BTW: I wrote a 16bit png saver, too (OH, THE JOY!). However, thus far you can only load Verve project (*.vrv), but save vrv or export (16bit)png and jpeg.

A few random "Daily Sketches" I've done with it...
The Holy Man

The Dancer

The Lab Girl

xlsior(Posted 2014) [#2]
Looks interesting.

Pingus(Posted 2014) [#3]
Impressive !
And the code is only 250 Kb !
And made in Bmax ? Can't believe it...

Seems working fine on my Radeon 6800.

There are already quite some paint software (Corel, ArtRage...) and voxels (?) but I do not know any photo-filter program using such technology. Do you know da-painter ? Something ssimilar but using this technology of paint brushing could be very interresting to convert photo into "painting".

Taron(Posted 2014) [#4]
Thanks, Pingus! I'm super happy to hear that it runs fine for you, too! 8D

Yeah, I love to keep it small. I generate everything except the standard font and the icon. It's also pure raw BlitzMax without MaxGui or anything.

I love ArtRage, but I was always missing something there, never felt natural or truly instinctive. I don't know da-painter, though.
I'll hook up import of images soon, too. It surly could do wonders on photos, haha, but then it'll get really tough to keep the faith for anyone, who honestly tries to paint from reference, hehe... DOH! I hope, it'll be alright.

I'm working on a brush system, which might really make this one exciting even more. It'll be a bit tricky for me. Even now the bristle brushes actually are bristles and not images, but the next round will take that to a whole new level...if it will work.

I, too, think this is rather unique altogether. I've never seen or used anything like it, but its potential is so much bigger. I hope, I'll be able to do it justice.

Jur(Posted 2014) [#5]
Too bad my old ATI cant handle this program - it works but far too slow to be usable. Would like to dabble a bit with it.
You should turn this into a proper graphic application.

Taron(Posted 2014) [#6]
Yeah, it really is demanding. Anything younger than 4 years and halfway decent should do it, I believe, judging by the feedback I've received. I'm actually shocked it works to begin with, hahahaha, considering how many buffers and shaders I use, but well...

If you hit [F2] you can toggle through a set of fixed resolutions, the smallest of which is 512x512. Maybe that'll work a bit and it's still good fun. 8}

Eventually I'll have a look at alternative solutions for high resolutions or even resolution independence.

THANKS, for sure, I'm excited to turn this into a bigger thing with greater functionality. I'm a bit scared, mostly in regards to the interface, actually, but I shall figure something out. So much to learn, though. It's crazy how much this has taught me already. However, your encouragement adds a great deal to my momentum! 8D

Pingus(Posted 2014) [#7]
I'm pretty sure there is some $$ potential to do but with that kind of app, finding the good target.
But all the interface stuff might require as much work as the main tools. Maybe you could seek for some help for that part so you can focus on the tricky shaders, custom brushes and other alien features...

steve_ancell(Posted 2014) [#8]
As soon as I run it I get a message box that states: Windows exception -> EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION

Tested on WinXP Home Edition with SP3.

Taron(Posted 2014) [#9]
Yeah, that is certainly too old a setup for this little monster. Sorry, Steve. 8{

I'm running it on Win7, but my machine is already 3 years old by now. So it's not too evil, but it can't reach back much further at the moment. OpenGL 2.1 is a must, as far as I can tell. Also it uses the pub.tablet, which can cause trouble on some machines, I've noticed.

Pingus, I'd love not having to worry about interface stuff, but I also somehow embrace the challenge. Thus far it's actually quite flexible, my interface type, but there are deeper things that demand improvement before the interface can get really nice.
However, you're perfectly right in terms of workload. The interface has been far trickier than all the rest! I still have to hook up pulldowns and sliders as well as text input. Needless to mention the design, which is truly tough at times.
I don't know how people will react to my solution to keep icons out of the picture and instead have those text fields. It's a deliberate choice of mine to make it less distracting and it feels nice to me, but then...that's just me.
I also want to keep it very tight, not too cluttered with controls. <Sigh> ...it's tough.

steve_ancell(Posted 2014) [#10]
It probably is down to the fact that my PC belongs in a fossil museum, time for a new on I reckon. ;)

Taron(Posted 2014) [#11]
Every now and then we kinda have to bite the bullet, I'm afraid. There's way too much excellent stuff now to just hang on to what used to be awesome. Gets on my nerves, too, but- well... at least it really is getting cheap to have a decent modern machine.
I'm a little shocked, too, though, that my former monster (8core Mac Pro) is practically garbage compared to my new beast and that's not even cutting edge (Xeon dual 6 core) ...oh, I should update my signature. 8P

Well, but you'll be very, very happy, Steve, which makes me happy for you, too! 8D

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2014) [#12]
Cool, love to see non-photorealistic art being generated by modern hardware.

Taron(Posted 2014) [#13]
Ehehe, thanks, yeah, that's what I'm thinking. 8D
It's really about the painting experience, being creative on a platform that is only for that, really. Not much fuzzing around, just doodle away! 8}

Just made another little update by the way, without going up a version number. It's v0.89 still, but the pen pressure on brush size is now much, much better.

Ploppy(Posted 2014) [#14]
This sir, is dammity fine coding indeed. Hats off to you, very powerful stuff.

Taron(Posted 2014) [#15]
Thanks, Ploppy. I'm trying and wish I'd feel the same, haha, but I'm most excited about what's to come, that's all that matters! 8)

I'm happy it runs fine for you!

Doggie(Posted 2014) [#16]
Nice. I'll have some fun with this.

DOG

Taron(Posted 2014) [#17]
Yay! Can't wait to see you guys post some doodles! 8D

Every now and then, when I paint around in it, I get almost overcome by amazement how real it feels, or rather surreal. Especially when you do fine strokes and blending, smudging gently around with the right kind of settings. It's in a way delicious, for lack of a better word. 8}

I sure hope you've got powerful a machine to experience that, too. It's kind of a joy, really.

Taron(Posted 2014) [#18]
I've added a curious grid guide, finally writing a bit more of an elaborate vertex shader. You can dial in lens distortion, which is something I've never seen in such a setting... or at all, actually, but anyway. It's super fun to work with...for me. I really wished it would just work for everybody, but well... I hope you're one of those, who can! 8}

Grisu(Posted 2014) [#19]
Looks awesome! Sadly I'm not good at art stuff.

Taron(Posted 2014) [#20]
Thanks, Grisu! Artists come in all genres, so don't underestimate your mastery! 8)

Hardcoal(Posted 2014) [#21]
great art! Great product
way to go..
keep on improving this please..

Taron(Posted 2014) [#22]
THANK YOU, Hardcoal! Very encouraging!
I'm a little frustrated with AMD compatibility issues versus Nvidia shader happiness. Drives me crazy to figure what on earth AMD wants. One of these days I may get on top of this madness and it'll be a glorious one at that.

In the meantime, I just made a little demo video:
Verve Demo 01

AdamStrange(Posted 2014) [#23]
Got to say I sat open mouthed watching the demo. it looks a stunning development. is there a build for mac, or just windows?

Steve Elliott(Posted 2014) [#24]
This is a very impressive project.

Derron(Posted 2014) [#25]
The scenery you have drawn reminds me on the Bob Ross "The joy of painting" videos I watched during the nights on BR-alpha (German TV channel).

But I should not need to say again that your artistic skills are way more than just "basic". You should add more pictures on your HP ... visited it again 2 days ago and just found some new things... I need more :D.

bye
Ron

Hardcoal(Posted 2014) [#26]
im admit i set one of your drawing as desktop background if you dont mind

Taron(Posted 2014) [#27]
Wah, Oh, thank you guys!!!
Yeah, this thing kind of explodes on youtube right now!? I'm a little shocked, but then I remember what I felt and still feel when ever I paint with it...and I do that several times a day, hahaha. It is just something else. And it's FAR from ready, even, still begging for sooo much more.

I've read that Wine can run it just fine on the mac!? I'm sure it will still depend on your system, but good reports came in.
If I could compile it on a mac, I would...there are only a few windows specific things in there. If one of you wants to try compiling it for mac, let me know! But don't freak out when you see my code, hahaha!

Yeah, I love Bob Ross dearly! I actually was pointed to him after somebody said my 3d modeling tutorial reminded him of Bob Ross, hehe. After that I couldn't get enough of him and was so sorry to have found out he died so soon then. Such a pity, such a sensitive, funny and powerful soul. Real pity.

I'll make some more videos these days for sure. There's so much I'd like to show and I've just added a new parameter for the brushes, too.

Hardcoal, you're too kind! Please, by all means, you have us connect our lifeforce, haha, makes us both stronger! 8)

AdamStrange(Posted 2014) [#28]
Tarron, I can give compiling on a mac a go for you :)

Hardcoal(Posted 2014) [#29]
cool sentence mate "you have us connect our lifeforce, haha, makes us both stronger!"
so wise and true.

Im not flattering you. you are really a great artist.
why?
The colors you choose are rich.
I can sense freedom in your drawings which represents freedom in your spirit. (also love)

The woman in the tube reminds me Alien4 scene.

My drawings are more architectural and weird.
and calculated. I don't have that freedom.

an orchestra is a proof that the most beautiful things emanates from cooperations.

My favorit artist h.r giger

Taron(Posted 2014) [#30]
Email me, Adam!

Hardcoal, I'm enjoying everything you've written! Thank you!
Giger is wicked and always inspiring alone through his techniques and curious senses. I remember people having compared my early 3d stuff to Giger again and again. Feels all to familiar to read his name again in that context.
I'd still like to see your drawings. Weird is good! 8}

Blitzplotter(Posted 2014) [#31]
Wow, impressive looking work, the images are visual eye candy. [EDIT] just tried the program, amazingly intuitive to use. Good work!

Taron(Posted 2014) [#32]
OMG, it works! LOL!
I'm having the weirdest reports from all sorts of systems.
What puzzles me the most is the win8 cintiq with those damn Intel gfx cards. They do strange stuff. It looks like the shaders work, but it's as though the blending functions fail?!? What the heck could that be?

If anyone of you has any ideas, I'd be thrilled to hear them! I'm digging through everything I can get my hands on and it ain't much, yet. Using the gDEBugger, which is fantastic, but it says it's all fine?! 8P

Anyway, I hope some of you have another thought on how I could go about finding a solution... 8|

Thanks in advance!
I'm posting new clips on youtube frequently, by the way!

Taron(Posted 2014) [#33]
I've posted an experimental compile without any glBlendFuncSeparate(), because I'm beginning to suspect that certain systems may have trouble with that?!? Not sure, but here's a go...

If you had trouble with it either showing just a black canvas and screwed up interface or the color of the paint changing to what ever color you select, try this:
Verve_painter_temp.exe

...and let me know, if it makes a difference, please!

It does not act the same as the original, of course, but it should still do the trick.

Jur(Posted 2014) [#34]
Yes, I think that was an issue on my old ati 5450.
Now it works! Slow as snail, but I managed to paint something...

That diagonal line are corrupted pixels on a layer which occured upon loading the file.

Hardcoal(Posted 2014) [#35]
Taron.
whats the point in saving as png if it doesnt use the transparent mode.
or is it not ready yet?

xlsior(Posted 2014) [#36]
whats the point in saving as png if it doesnt use the transparent mode.

Unlike JPG, PNG is lossless.

load/save a JPEG a few dozen times in a row without making changes and it will look like crap, while PNGs remain identical.

Rick Nasher(Posted 2014) [#37]
Finally a worthy successor to DeluxePaint on the Amiga.

Taron(Posted 2014) [#38]
Oh, Holy Crap, Jur, that is beautiful! What on earth happened to the file there, though, I've never seen that before?! That is rather weird and sad, of course. But that's a fantastic painting!!!
You should post that on the Verve forum's Gallery!
Amazing that it works on that card, though. Not only ATi, but old?! Wow! Yay!

Oh good, xlsior answered the question partially to Hardcoal, but there's more: I'm saving png 16bit, not 8bit. I wrote my own 16bit version of the png saver, which was not exactly all that easy for me, but I managed.
I also wrote an alpha version, which I will use as soon as I hook up layer export!

Rick, thank you, thank you very much! 8D
That's a fantastic compliment!

But, man, Jur, that's such an awesome painting, don't you have a decent gfx board somewhere?! You must do more with Verve!

Also, don't forget, you can turn fluidity down to 0%, which should give you a massive speed boost!

GW(Posted 2014) [#39]
Taron, since Verve is designed to be used with a tablet, What kind/model would you recommend?

Taron(Posted 2014) [#40]
I've always had wacoms, any of the intuos series and still have the intuos3. Those can't go wrong!
I have no experience with any other brand, though.

AdamStrange(Posted 2014) [#41]
Wacoms also have the best support for things like pressure, tilt, etc

Jur(Posted 2014) [#42]
Well, I will certainly follow your project. It has the best approximation of real world paints (oils and acrylics) of all painting applications I tried. When i get a better card i will use it more for sure.

Taron(Posted 2014) [#43]
Oh man, I sure hope you get one soon, you're doing beautiful stuff, I gladly imagine what you will create! So looking forward to it!

Taron(Posted 2014) [#44]
Oh, Hey Jur, I just had somebody else run into that "diagonal" trouble, too. I got the project file (.vrv) and it's perfectly fine, so hold on to your project file, it's just some weird loading bug with some machines/cards. Apparently ATi, of course, what else...but I shall figure it out somehow. The weird thing is that I really don't do anything fancy with the loading. Not sure what that is...?!?

Hang in there! That's all I'm saying! And nothing is lost! 8)

skidracer(Posted May) [#45]
Wow, great work Taron. I am glad I finally chanced upon this thread.

skidracer(Posted May) [#46]
Frontpage!

Taron - is there any chance you could submit an application screenshot to the site gallery?

Mainsworthy(Posted May) [#47]
its fan tastic

Fielder(Posted May) [#48]
you have to work with Microsoft.. this is a lot better of fresh paint!

COREL also buy softwares houses and developers