BlitzBitz

Community Forums/Showcase/BlitzBitz

Cubed Inc.(Posted 2013) [#1]
Announcing the development of BlitzBitz, a 3d/2d action adventure platformer inspired by Intelligent System's Super Paper Mario.
http://cubedinc.blogspot.com/
Screenshots and updates can be viewed from the link above.

OldNESJunkie(Posted 2013) [#2]
The lime green background on your site is a bit much IMO, too bright, makes some of the text hard to read.

thehawk2323(Posted 2013) [#3]
I like the background of the website.

GaryV(Posted 2013) [#4]
The background earned a quick close of your web page and a block in the hosts file to make sure I do not make the same mistake again of visiting your site. I am not exaggerating when I say it made me physically sick and I am still dealing with the after effects of having visited your site. Instant migraine from that bright lime green background. Nausea and blurred vision have set in.

If you thought your site looked okay, you really need to get a new monitor.

xlsior(Posted 2013) [#5]
(Much better!)

AdamStrange(Posted 2013) [#6]
lol, vile color, HUGE images

Cubed Inc.(Posted 2013) [#7]
Deleted post.

Yan(Posted 2013) [#8]
OH NOOOEEESSS!!!

Cubed Inc.(Posted 2013) [#9]
Okay, there, I fixed it. The blog should be more pleasant to the eyes. Please cut back on the trolling comments and pictures; they're really getting on my nerves.

AdamStrange(Posted 2013) [#10]
yep, nice from me :) The images really stand out now and focus your attention in a good way

Yan(Posted 2013) [#11]
...Please cut back on the trolling comments and pictures; they're really getting on my nerves.
...And we *really* can't have that now, can we. What with you being so important and all.

Cubed Inc.(Posted 2013) [#12]
Deleted post.

Cubed Inc.(Posted 2013) [#13]
Deleted post.

GaryV(Posted 2013) [#14]
I am not sure how it is Yan's fault or my fault your site was so offensive. As to me being disrespectful, what was disrespectful was your site. You had no business posting something so repulsive on a public forum. There are young kids that use this forum, any of which had they been caught by their parents looking at your site, they could have had their internet privileges yanked for looking at obscene material.

Cubed Inc.(Posted 2013) [#15]
Deleted post.

ervin(Posted 2013) [#16]
* grabs popcorn *

Cubed Inc, lets see how much support you get from this forum with that sort of attitude.

Cubed Inc.(Posted 2013) [#17]
Deleted post.

Cubed Inc.(Posted 2013) [#18]
Deleted post.

GaryV(Posted 2013) [#19]
Cubed: FWIW, I gave your gallery screenshot 5 stars as I absolutely love the look and style of the game as it is shown in the screenshot.

Just when you put so much blood, sweat and tears into a game like that, you need to make sure the website does the game justice and is a good representation of the high quality standards of the game. Obviously, there was a creative imbalance going on. You live and learn.

To my knowledge, nobody has trashed your game, only your site. There is a difference between the two. Based on what your screenshot shows, you do have obvious talent, you just need to apply that same talent when working on your site as the site is a representation of your game, and yourself, and you are obviously capable of much, much, more than what the initial site design showed.

*edit* Also, there was no anger in my posts or Yan's. Just guys busting balls. And I was not exaggerating about getting physically sick from the site. Bright lights, bright colors, highly contrasting colors, perfumes, and even the movement in first person 3D games can set off a migraine and they can get pretty nasty. Not a pleasant thing to have, but I use dim lighting in my home and always wear sunglasses when outside my home, or tinted glasses at work.

Cubed Inc.(Posted 2013) [#20]
How about we just bury the hatchet with no hard feelings? I think I've done enough damage to myself already.

ervin(Posted 2013) [#21]
I also like the art direction you're taking with your game. It's very original and creative, and it just looks cool.

Glad to see the tone of this thread change.
Now we can get down to following your journey along this very interesting game's development.
:o)

Keep going, it's looking great so far.

Cubed Inc.(Posted 2013) [#22]
Thanks; it really means a lot:)
For the sake of salvaging the topic, I've got three new screenshots of the game to put in the blog - some even show some beta differences!

ervin(Posted 2013) [#23]
Screenshot 2 is very cool.
:o)

The shadowing on the building is very effective.
Are they baked in or applied at runtime?

Cubed Inc.(Posted 2013) [#24]
Actually, they're applied to the level's geometry. The shadows are actually separate polygons given a slightly transparent black texture, then applied to off the far front of the level. It works even better considering that the levels themselves are actually 3d meshes given the appearance of 2d by zero-depth perspective. Because of this, the shadows appear as if they 'cast' onto the player when overlapping.
Like I said, the game was heavily inspired by Super Paper Mario, which utilizes the ability to 'flip' into 3d. The methods used the create the levels in that game are used in BlitzBitz.

ervin(Posted 2013) [#25]
Hmmm, that's a clever technique.

Looking forward to seeing it in action.

AdamStrange(Posted 2013) [#26]
nice, heres a nit to pick.

the shadows fall left to right/top to bottom
but... (and heres the nitpick)
the shadows for the text boxes fall RIGHT to LEFT/top to bottom

after looking more closely, the models also suffer from the show inconsistency (right to left)

so... logically you should either move the shadows on the buildings or the shadows on the rest so they all match. My preference would be to move the ones on the building as that makes more sense.

If you were going further down this road, then you could also look at the possibility of the buildings casting shadows on the trees too...

Cubed Inc.(Posted 2013) [#27]
Yeah, that's the problem with creating shadows without the help of lightmappers or post-process effects: you've got to figure everything out on your own - the ppsition and angles of the shadows and what not. I'll look into fixing the textbox shadow inconsistency; however, the casting of shadows on trees seem a little too much for what I've got. I'll also flip the light direction of the characters so that it isn't opposite like you said.

Cubed Inc.(Posted 2013) [#28]
Alright; the shadow inconsistency issue has been fixed. Thank you very much for pointing that design gaff early on, AdamStrange. Imagine if I went on making every level with messed-up shadows like that :X

Also, to ervin, you can see the 'shadow-casting trick' in action in the new screenshots posted on the BlitzBitz blog.

ervin(Posted 2013) [#29]
I hadn't even noticed the mistake with the shadows.
Nice pickup, AdamStrange.

Looking good Cubed. Top work.

Cubed Inc.(Posted 2013) [#30]
New screenshots have been added to the blog. I really like the bunch this time around; I feel it gives off a good sense of how the game's sense of humor is like.

ervin(Posted 2013) [#31]
Those screenshots are great.
I like #3 best - the stairs/ladder joke. Nice work.

Cubed Inc.(Posted 2013) [#32]
A good batch of new screenshots are in, this time of the game's first miniboss battle. New mechanics are seen in the blog's latest post, along with a bit of story explanation (no spoilers). I have the entire story of BlitzBitz already finished in my mind and on paper - not just a crumby, generic platformer story, either. A lot of heart and soul went into BlitzBitz's storyline to make the game truly memorable. You'll be amazed what a good story can add to a game.

Cubed Inc.(Posted 2013) [#33]
Blog has been update once more with even more screenshots. Next batch of screenshots will be pure gameplay - I promise!

Cubed Inc.(Posted 2013) [#34]
The blog has yet again been updated, now showing footage of the game's first area, the Pixl'd Plainz.

Cubed Inc.(Posted 2013) [#35]
Deleted post.