3d game progress

Community Forums/Showcase/3d game progress

AdamStrange(Posted 2013) [#1]

This shows how far I've got with the previous game system.

Ignoring the debug text, you can see a sort of virus/zarch landscape. along with water and a ship (with shadow under it along with the terrain)

The 3 different colours are three different rock systems with controllable parameters.

the water is made up from 3 separate systems and animates itself without any user interaction

it's all just dev stuff at the moment, so everything is up for grabs.

comments, suggestions :)

RemiD(Posted 2013) [#2]
I like the render, it reminds me of the render of what Stevie G has done with Polymaniacs.
So you only use one color per material and no detail texture ?
Looks good, for me.

Yasha(Posted 2013) [#3]
I love the aesthetic too. Is there a grainy effect going on there or is that just artifacting in the image? (If the latter, consider adding a grainy effect, 'cause it looks awesome.)

If you're going to go for in-depth world generation with proper geology and so on though, I personally would lose the Zarch effect - if you're going to build a world properly, you should show it off! This art style would translate wonderfully to sweeping vistas and distant mountain ranges. In that case I would suggest also adding a sky of some sort, with a similarly restricted level of detail.

What style of gameplay is this going to be?

AdamStrange(Posted 2013) [#4]
yep, the grain is a variant of SSAO.

Currently the only gameplay is similar to zarch. vertical liftoff with forward/left/right controls. Gravity is fully operational too.

Currently still writing the engine and having issues with the (circular nature of the) map. Once it is fully functional then I'll look at gameplay and what can be done.

I had a look at Stevie's work and there are similarities, although he used a fixed map not a circular one.

As for textures, the ability is there, but I'm not really too bothered with it as I want to develop the flat shaded look first.

skys are no problem :)

Wiebo(Posted 2013) [#5]
Looking really cool, and i LOVE Zarch/Virus... The flat shaded look is really nice if you design your models around it. I hope to play this game of yours!

Blitzplotter(Posted 2013) [#6]
Love the effect you have achieved, great looking work ;)

Who was John Galt?(Posted 2013) [#7]
Looks amazing!

Any chance of an early tech demo?

Also, what are the 3 land systems and the 3 water systems?

AdamStrange(Posted 2013) [#8]
ok the land systems create the landscape. There are three of them to produce a single landscape, each with lesser amounts of influence.

So the first one is the mountains, purple pink
next are the hills, pink
last there are the very flat bits, light pink

In essence they can be thought of as rock density, so the hardest is the tallest, the least is the filler or sand

the water systems. They are all identical, you specify the wave height and it create a random water, this is done three times and each offset above and below. Combined they produce water.
Each height vertex has a min/max height and a direction (random). Every frame, the height is adjusted until it goes over the min/max then the direction is reversed. That was it's instant animated waves with very little overhead.

Who was John Galt?(Posted 2013) [#9]
Thanks Adam- missed this when you first posted.

BBato(Posted 2014) [#10]
Very nice!

Ploppy(Posted 2014) [#11]
This reminds me big time of Zarch (showing my age now). Good stuff...

AdamStrange(Posted 2014) [#12]
yep, Zarch was a big concept behind it. but currently on hold until the graphic glitches are all sorted :)

Steve Elliott(Posted 2014) [#13]
I was always a big fan of Zarch. Looks good :)

AdamStrange(Posted 2014) [#14]
here's the last shots of the game is it progressed

This is one with the HUD completed

degac(Posted 2014) [#15]
Nice!
All 3d engine & shader is yours?

AdamStrange(Posted 2014) [#16]
yep
Still learning a lot about lighting. V2 will have the custom shaders and better shadowing.
The shaders are almost complete and integrated into the engine. Next up is to re-activate the FBO (Frame Buffer Object) and get the occluded shading sorted.

Chalky(Posted 2014) [#17]
That looks great - I particularly like the simplicity of the HUD. Hopefully one day you'll be able to resurrect this project so we can get to see the finished article.

AdamStrange(Posted 2014) [#18]
it's actually good to have a break and come back to a project and see what others see.

Whilst I was never happy with a lot of things - the main one being trying to make a game that wasn't just a copy of Zarch.

I can now see things more clearly and will look at the code and see what can be rescued :)

degac(Posted 2014) [#19]
Well you have talent!
Create an own 3d engine is something impressive!
I wish to have time and knowledge to make something very basic than yours!

And what's bad in a Zarch clone?

AdamStrange(Posted 2014) [#20]
degac - thanks for that, taken a lot of love to get this far. 3d always seems like one step forward... 40 back!