Asimo Model.

Community Forums/Showcase/Asimo Model.

Yue(Posted 2013) [#1]
:D

Derron(Posted 2013) [#2]
Think your "UV Spheres" have more vertices than needed -> resulting in a higher polygon count than needed.

As soon as you can change from "flat shading" to "smooth shading" (don't know how, not my business yet) you wont see the difference.

But even without doing that, it looks "blocky" - especially the in-app-screenshot has a blocky head.

The legs look nice - no blockiness visible - but I think it also uses more vertices/polygons than needed.

Did you use a reference as background image of your 3d-editor? Looks to me like the model is a bit taller than the original product (seems "thinner" to me)

bye
Ron

Yue(Posted 2013) [#3]
Hi, it's model reference.

The truth if I overreacted in using vertices, but that's it. and smoth no work.

GfK(Posted 2013) [#4]
15,000 tris for that is ridiculous. You should refocus on polygon reduction, as simply applying mesh smooth modifiers is a cop-out and totally inefficient - not to mention the fact that texturing that will be a complete nightmare.

You can massively reduce the amount of vertices/triangles throughout, and by using smoothing to get rid of the hard edges between polygons, it will look no different and you should be able to get the polygon count down to around 10% of what it currently is.

Yue(Posted 2013) [#5]
You're right in my new model I'm doing things a little better.

Head astronaut.

Derron(Posted 2013) [#6]
If it is possible for you - you should let "hidden wire" get drawn.

If you used blender, this is an easy checkbox to enable.. dunno how it is done in your software.

So we could see what polygons define the look.

For me your astronauts head looks like the "spherical" part is still having 2-3 rows of polygons which could be left out.

Why?
If you intend to RENDER it - you add Mesh-Smoothers. But if you want to use it for realtime-purposes, the polycount does matter. As soon as they get textured (with bumps, normals, speculars...) you can cheat with your bitmapdata (to add details, crackles).
Don't know about tesselation, but that will "smooth out" many things too.

bye
Ron

Hotshot2005(Posted 2013) [#7]
they sell software for it to cut down ploygens http://www.thegamecreators.com/?m=view_product&id=2095

I am sure there is other free software that will be able to do the same job :)

Derron(Posted 2013) [#8]
Think the current software still does not offer the same output than a Retopolgy of such a model could produce in a short amount of time.

Often this reducers save polygons... but eg at joints like leg, shoulder some vertices should be kept.

I know there are more educational approaches to that problem which try to solve that issues ... but I am talking about that "polycrunchers".

bye
Ron

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2013) [#9]
good job Yue! :)