3d game suggestions

Community Forums/Showcase/3d game suggestions

AdamStrange(Posted 2013) [#1]
I'm working my way through OpenGL and thought I'd post a shot of what I'm working on...

So far I've got as far as implementing shadows, flat shading, faux lights, reflect/shine and glass. Textures are a lot further and currently I'm not too bothered with them.

My thoughts are to write a flat shaded game sorta like Virus/Lander, Simulcra, etc, but more in the style of Tim Reynolds isometric landscapes.

Any thoughts on what sort of game mechanics would be good?

Ian Thompson(Posted 2013) [#2]
Always been a big Virus fan myself Adam, I would definitely go with that.

What shadow implementation have you used BTW?

GaryV(Posted 2013) [#3]
Looks good, Adam. Keep up the good work.

AdamStrange(Posted 2013) [#4]
single light shadow buffer - it still has some issues with moire but isn't a problem currently. I then use custom shaders.

3d models come directly from my 3d editor where i'm adding all the extra features to support the different material types. it's all nice n open ended.

I've also got a 3d particle system in there but still in the early stages.

GfK(Posted 2013) [#5]
Hunter! A huge, open world free-roaming game, created when people at Rockstar were still wearing diapers.

AdamStrange(Posted 2013) [#6]
first time i've seen proper footage from hunter :)

Calibrator(Posted 2013) [#7]
You have boarded a rocket boat
You have boarded a tank
You have boarded a wind surfer
You have boarded a rowing boat
You have boarded a bicycle

Kryzon(Posted 2013) [#8]
There's also Zarch \ Virus:

GfK(Posted 2013) [#9]
...and don't forget Zeewolf/Zeewolf 2:

Who was John Galt?(Posted 2013) [#10]
Beautiful screenshot there Adam. I'm thinking an adventure game where you have to escape from the barren planet or survive there. Big emphasis on sense of isolation.

Matty(Posted 2013) [#11]
Never played Zeewolf but it looks and sounds just like the games I grew up with in the late 80s early 90s....very familiar.

AdamStrange(Posted 2013) [#12]
Here's some more dev pics:

testing the shadow system

surface properties shine and reflect (good at showing moire errors)

faux lighting, self illumination (big coloured square thing) and initial glass (the big green tree, not casting a shadow)

i've also got automatic rotational animation working so can easily make models with bits that go round :) Still working on different material types though

I like the concepts of zeewolf and virus :)

big10p(Posted 2013) [#13]
I think Stevie G did a Virus clone, already. If that makes any difference.

Ian Thompson(Posted 2013) [#14]
The Sentinel is another great game using this type of engine(Carrier Command too IIRC).

It would be cool if this shadow system made its way over to your Monkey MiniB3D engine Adam, any plans for this?

AdamStrange(Posted 2013) [#15]
MiniB3d for Monkey is not mine, but certainly possible

TaskMaster(Posted 2013) [#16]
Reminds me of Gunship on my C-64.

AdamStrange(Posted 2013) [#17]
OK, Reworked the internal structure to include FBO's. It wasn't an easy task, but got it eventually, also updating the 3d app to go with it.

so, here is a basic ssao implementation

and here with light and glass types in the background. (depth is darkened the further you go)

I've also blurred the shadows a bit.
Still in testing, but coming along nicely